“comfortable but probably understaffed”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Milton Keynes
Ranked #5 of 35 Hotels in Milton Keynes
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“comfortable but probably understaffed”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I suspect occupancy levels are very variable, and the hotel is staffed at a minimal level. It's a great idea to multi-purpose the football club facilities as a hotel. The property is very nice and staff are very pleasant. Very good location - bags of free parking, and good, convenient shopping. We had a 3rd floor room with outlook over the playing pitch. Quite a surreal experience waking up in the morning to that view. Unfortunately we had some very noisy children in the next door room. Bed quite comfortable but pillows very soft. Bathroom nice, with loads of towels. Shower tap was incredibly hard to work. Housekeeping tried to open the door even though we had do not disturb sign on door. Everywhere in the hotel was very pleasant. Breakfast was a bit limited and some of the hot buffet felt as if it had been under the heatlamp for considerable time. Went for a drink in the bar on Friday evening and waited around 10 minutes before a server appeared - by that time, there were several folk waiting to be served. This could be a great hotel but felt empty and understaffed.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 15, 2013

My Daughters treated me to Mothers Day lunch here on Sunday, we opted for the carvery and it was delicious,great choice of meat and super vegetable dishes.Starter and dessert very tasty.
Staff were friendly and efficient, we were served quickly but there was no pressure to eat and leave.
All Mums received a little bottle of wine,chocolates and a voucher for
a local nail salon.A lovely touch.

Good parking and easy access to the restaurant.Would definately return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
HotelMiltonKeynes, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Milton Keynes, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
We are thrilled that you enjoyed your time with us, thank you for your review.
Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Another pretentious UK hotel... 4 stars, no.... Evening food disgusting, Duty Manager ineffectual, all hotel guests downgraded to the Players Room ( terrible environment, I don't want a huge TV with a football match on either ) because a football match had taken over the main restaurant which I know from previous stays is indifferent.

But lasts night food was overpriced, disgusting food that a corner cafe should be embarrassed at it looked like it had been shipped in from an external supplier and sat on the hot plate congealing.

I wish I had photographed the food and the flowery descriptions on the menu... mis-representation... The Chef... is an insult to their profession, even the cheese board was a joke, don't they know you do not serve cheese straight out of a refrigerator ? Breakfast is passable, I wouldn't from choice ever stay in this hotel again, or any Hilton.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Sutton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights as was exhibiting at the stadium. Excellent standard of rooms, nice relaxing bar and top notch food. Makes a change from the standard hotel setup in Central Milton Keynes and has lots of free parking so if you don't mind being a five minute drive away from the City Centre, look no further.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Crowthorne, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 11, 2013

My Boss and I have stayed in this Hotel for one night over the last 3 years for an Exhibition. The staff have always been helpful and courteous on all occasions. The reception was good and ran smoothly. However, when I got to the 3rd floor room my access card would not open the door. I then had to lug my bags all the way down to reception to get it 'validated'. I though this was a one off but my boss had exactly the same trouble! Not what you might expect from a Hilton Hotel. The room was nice, spacious and very clean but the heating would not get the room hot enough. Again I thought this was down to 'my room' but my boss, some rooms away had the same trouble. The bed was rather hard for me but OK. The Fridge was a nightmare, I was woken at 2am by it's noise and couldn't get back to sleep until I unplugged it from the wall socket. The fridge didnt have ANYTHING in it so a waste of time anyhow. Why they dont give a complementary bottle of water as part of the package I dont know. I have stayed in lot cheaper hotels, 3 stars and the like and have had a free bottle of still water. Not providing this is mean for a Hilton, especially when its not an exactly cheap Hotel and spoils their image. I know its a small point but the devil is in the detail! In speaking with my Boss in the morning he too had a very noisy fridge and it had woken him! The restaurant staff were good but the food of average quality in my view. Overpriced for what it was, some vegetables were very hard. Breakfast was good and all in all a good experience. In previous years we didn't have this issues so for us its not as good as it was which was rather disapointing for a Hotel name that carries with it some cach'e and higher expectation.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Barton in the Clay, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2013

All the staff were very helpful and friendly. Rooms were clean and tidy, good room facilities in general, the only downaide to my stay was that I found the mattress very hard and did not sleep well ( I was in a twin room, so not sure if this was the case in the double rooms)
The restaurant food was of high quality, nicely presented and good value for money. Do not order starters as you get a complimetary bread platter which is very filling. On the whole a pleasant stay

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 2, 2013

as it was my partners birthday we decided to enjoy a meal out and stay at the double tree for some luxury in one of the suite.
Yes the room was nice and spacious but once 6am came the following day disaster struck. We had to complain about the noise level coming from that floor and the banging on doors with young children running up and down the corridor.( i would like to stress at this point that i to have children but would not allow them to run around banging on peoples doors in the fashion they were at 6am in the morning)

When explaining to the duty manager at that time the situation i was shocked as to how non respondent he was.. Did he really listen to my concerns?? No not really.. Hands were waved in the air and i was dismissed lets say. We were not the only couple to complain of this situation that day.
As i went away i thought on it and had to go back in the following day to see a more senior manager to talk to, he was great, he listened and understood my concerns and i felt i was listened to. However i now have contacted this manager twice over a 7 day period and left messages on his answer machine, there service is just going down hill, promising this and that and delivering nothing. As a professional i thought my overall experience with the double tree was shocking.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple