“A Hotel of two Halves”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Milton Keynes
Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Milton Keynes
Reviewed November 4, 2012

This is an interesting hotel, rather like owning a Ralph Lauren sweater, but only able to wear it inside out.
I understood that the hotel was unusual in the fact that some rooms had a view of the football pitch, ours overlooked the car park! (I stayed on a weekday when no matches were being held!)
The main reception rooms are there somewhere, but well hidden.
One could possibly 'train in the gym with some of the footballers', the gym was sub-terranean and not that appealing.
Breakfast was very disappointing, clearly been festering for some while as a skin had formed on the eggs and beans.
The main negative for me is the hotel's location, ideal for IKEA and the most enormous ASDA, but sadly no where near the centre of town.
The room, however, was excellent, the bathroom in particular, was very well fitted out with quality fittings.
The bed was magnificent.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks the pitch (if it is not a matchday)
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Alpha B
HotelMiltonKeynes, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Milton Keynes, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Thank you for your feed back we appreciate it.

At the moment 61 of our rooms are pitch facing, they are listed on the website as deluxe with a view, apologies if this wasn’t clear at the time of booking.

I hope you will be pleased to know that we are currently planning our next stage of development not only for the hotel but for the immediate area around us giving us more bedrooms, larger gym facilities and a range leisure opportunities; exciting times for us!

Really pleased you liked the bedroom , once again thank you for taking the time to review us, and thank you for choosing to stay with us.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,066)

Reviewed November 1, 2012

Nice hotel inside and out. Stayed for two nights and was upgraded to a kingsize pitch view room with an accessible bathroom. The room was a nice size, with a large bed, desk and chair, and a table and chair. Room was stocked with a kettle and an assortment of tea and coffee. No mineral water provided. The room was cold on arrival and bathroom even colder. Aircon did not work very well in heating the room, just made a lot of noise. After arriving late, I chose to hit the show before bed. The shower was tepid at best and mixed with the large tiled bathroom, it was like showering outside. There was a small, heated towel rack present, but no other heaters to take the chill off the bathroom. I called the front desk regarding the aircon and cold water issue. They said they would send someone up in 15 mins. An hour later no one arrived to I went to bed. Breakfast was ok and nothing to shout about. I waited over 10 mins with other guests to be seated as there was nobody at the entrance. I did find a blond hair the last bite of baked beans and was told it must of been mine as I only find it at the end. I am a male, short black hair...you do the math??

Arrived back after being out for the day and complained about the cold room and shower. There was no entry in the maintenance log regarding our room. The person on the front desk found us another rom a few doors away. After moving, the new room was freezing, and the bathroom was not cleaned as there was hair and mould/mildew present. I also found hair and fragments in the bed. Despite this I had hot water.

Was not entirely happy with my stay hence the rating and I felt the staff could of been more helpful and understanding.

Room Tip: Pitch view rooms are nice Check hot water and aircon are working
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank mrjermaineh

I am disappointed to hear about your experience here at the DoubleTree by Hilton.

We did have an issue with water heating quire recently (in one area of the hotel) , this took a couple of hours to fix from the time of reporting, it sounds like you might have been affected by this, apologies that we didn’t get back to you on the evening.

It would be good for us to investigate your stay a little more (it would be good to check the bathroom you mention), if you get a moment could you call Jacqui on 01908 364184 and she will take a little more information.

Thank you for taking the time to review us.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

I like this hotel. The rooms are great with stylish furniture and two, yes two, bottles of mineral water. This time the restaurant was ok too. The soup of the day was good ad I quite enjoyed Thai prawn and cod curry. The prawns were so big and juicy they must have been on steroids but the cod was probably wrapped in batter along with some chunky chips on someone else's plate because there certainly wasn't any on my plate!
Maybe it's because this hotel is wrapped around a football stadium but its always full with gangs of blokes who are easily amused throughout dinner. Hysterical laughter and crap hotel lager swilling all around. A separate dining room for the lager lads would be great.
The reception staff are very attentive and polite. Plus free Internet access. Best hotel in MK.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
HotelMiltonKeynes, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Milton Keynes, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

Thank you for choosing to stay with us again, we appreciate your business.

Please don’t be worried about letting us know about any issues during your time with us (like the lack of cod), that wat we can attempt to put it right on the day.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

I stayed at this hotel as I was overnighting in MK for work. The hotel is unusual as its actually built in the MK Dons (championship soccer team) stadium. Hotel is OK. Staff were friendly. Food was normal Hotel grub and the gym was quite nice but ... its located in the middle of nowhere. Well actually between a supermarket and a new out-of-town shopping area. Nothing to do at night unless you want to drive the 2-3 miles into MK centre. Very quiet at night though!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Claude K

Thank you for choosing to stay with us.

We are currently in the midst of some exciting plans for the local area which will give our guests many more opportunities, more news coming soon!

Reviewed October 27, 2012

A nice hotel if you like a large, clinical, expensive hotel with no atmosphere. Its very isolated so without a taxi, you are forced to eat dinner in the hotel restaurant. First night, I had a cold shower. The manager explained that other people had complained of a cold shower and told me to just try later. No help there! The breakfast was amazing though and there was a nice gym.
Also check-out was 12 but for some reason, one of the staff let himself into my room at 10am to "check the status of the room". I already told them I was checking out at 12!! Worst timing ever, as I getting changed so I was not impressed especially when he tried to run away down the corridor without saying sorry..... In future, I would prefer to stay in a smaller, family-run place, closer to town as £139 a room is a lot for average.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Leannable

Please accept our sincere apologies regarding the shower temperature, I know exactly which evening you are talking about, unfortunately we experienced a lack of hot water in one area of the hotel which took a couple of hours to rectify. Thank you for taking the time to review us.

Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

From ordering tickets to leaving the hotel this was an excellent experience. The Club Red lounge offers pre match bar and food facilities, half time bar and tea and coffee stations plus after match bar. Staff and the supporters we met were extremely friendly and helpful.
View from seats brilliant. This is a great, affordable facility for the football fans. Many a premiership team could learn a lesson here.

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank Jiddyb
HotelMiltonKeynes, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Milton Keynes, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Thank you!

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Stayed here recently in a junior suite and was impressed with the room. I did not make use of the facilities at the hotel so cannot comment on food etc. The staff were very helpful and welcoming. Would certainly recommend staying here.

Room Tip: If you can get a room that looks onto the football pitch it is great.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, we hope you can join us again soon.