“very nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 35 Hotels in Milton Keynes
Edinburgh
“very nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

This is a lovely hotel, it is a bit outside the centre of Milton Keynes but only a fiver in a cab.
the room was very clean and the free wifi is great, the breakfast was freshly cooked and was very good, the only downside is if you are a football fan they do not have sky TV so you have to head into the Centre, it would make sense if they had sky as they must lose a fair amount of revenue as guests leave to go to Bars every time a match is on TV, other than that it was a very nice experience

Room Tip: the hotel is in a very quiet area so I dont think it matters where the room is
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Danermag
Mads N, General Manager at Mercure Milton Keynes Abbey Hill, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear Danermag,

Thank you for your review, I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay found the hotel to meet your expectations. We do have BT Sport available in the Bar for our customers so do not hesitate to ask your Bar service personal to put this on if any games are showing. Our free Wifi is also BT infinity so plenty of speed and availability.

We are all looking forward to you next visit,

Mads Nielsen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Bristol
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We stayed here for two nights while attending a wedding at another venue. Very impressed. Reception was efficient and friendly, our room was newly decorated, and the bed was unbelievably comfortable. We drank at the bar, and the barman was great - very knowledgeable and chatty, really made us feel at home. Breakfast was also excellent. Great choice, well cooked and presented.
All in all, fantastic value for money - can't quite believe what we paid for the two nights still!

1 Thank justoff
Dear Justoff,

Thank you very much for your review of your latest stay with us. It is always a pleasure to get positive feedback and I especially enjoyed reading that you had a good night sleep as I know how comfortable our beds are.

I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed the bar and restaurant and I would recommend to try our new cocktail menu on your next visit.

We all look forward to see you again,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

We live next door from the hotel and have no needs to stay over but the dining experience we've had is something to remember: Amazing wines by the glass, friendly staff, interactive cooking, Baileys coffee is also something to remember...
We are delighted and would recommend this hotel to our friends....
Only one word Amazing!

Room Tip: we did not use a room
1 Thank CCAN2013
Dear CCAN2013,

Thank you very much for your kind words which I have shared with the entire team. We were all very pleased that you enjoyed your meal in Morten's Restaurant and also our new Wine selection with some excellent wines.

Please feel free to come and see me on your next visit as it is always nice to get feedback from neighbours and local guests from our community.

We are all looking forward to your next visit,

Swansea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

Just to put the record straight I was most impressed by the standard of the rooms, the comfy beds and the friendly staff . I would definitely stay here again when on a business trip. If I was just rating the hotel then it would be top marks.

The issue is the calamitous communication between kitchen and front of house in the restaurant. My colleague and I ordered starters and then ribeye steaks which should come medium rare on a volcanic hot rock which you then cook to your taste or not whatever the case.
The starters were great then my colleagues main course came out but not mine, they did send out my pepper sauce. The waitress who was European was not interested in sorting out my issue so I had to walk around the restaurant until I found someone who could help. I'm assuming by now there is a few problems building in the kitchen as I'm still waiting for my food 20 mins after my colleague has finished his main course. When it arrived there was a slab of raw flesh on the rock, I know you cook it then yourself but it should be cooked to medium rare. The issue was that the temperature of the rock was not hot enough so it took me 15 mins to get the steak to medium, by then my chips and pepper sauce were cold. They replaced the meal by cooking it in the kitchen , lucky me. By the time it came back out my colleague had finished his meal about an hour earlier. The chips are described as hand cut but are also frozen, there was also a marked difference in the attitude of the staff between seeming to care and not caring one bit. As for the breakfast it is mass produced rubbish cooked with little skill. Pale pink bacon barely edible and poor quality sausage. This is a massive area of improvement needed to enhance the hotel and back up the rest of the hotel which is superb.
The second night I stayed I was joined by 20 further colleagues. As a result of my experience we all ate out in Milton Keynes. Our accumulative spend came to £600, this is revenue which the restaurant would have got but lost.
My mark for the restaurant would have been a 2, the hotel itself a 5.
I hope they look on this review as constructive and improve .

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Carl033
Mads N, General Manager at Mercure Milton Keynes Abbey Hill, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear Carl,

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your resent stay with us, however I was very disappointed to read about your experience in our restaurant as we pride ourselves on good standards and service, so I am very happy that you wrote back to us regarding your experience as it is only from constructive comments like yours that we can maintain and indeed improve where necessary.

I have looked into what you have said and appropriate steps have been taken to ensure that this does not happen again.

I was very pleased that you did enjoy our newly refurbished bedrooms and did have a good stay with us, therefor I would like to invite you to give our restaurant a second chance and to see the actions taken and to truly experience the Moltens food and service, please contact me and I will make arrangements for you to come and visit us again.

Cairo, Egypt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Stayed there early September for two nights. It is in a very pretty part of Milton Keynes but not in the center, so you need car. The lobby is small but fine, the only problem was that the hotel was undergoing renovation so it meant that getting to the room was a hassle. The restaurant was fine and the food good.

Room Tip: Stay close to the reception as the hotel is spread out and can be a walk to the room
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Tarek M
Mads N, General Manager at Mercure Milton Keynes Abbey Hill, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Tarek M,

Thank you very much for your response which I have shared with my team. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you had a nice meal in our restaurant Molten's, we have recently introduced a new menu which changes daily to give our customers a fresh selection of food while staying with us.

I must apologise for the refurbishment that is on going at the moment, this is the final part of a full hotel refurbishment that will deliver our new Gym, Privilege Rooms and Conference rooms, we are very close to being finished with the refurbishment and I can assure you that we are trying to keep disruption to a minimum.

Again thank you for your review and we are all looking forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Milton Keynes Abbey Hill,

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We had our first anniversary meal in the restaurant on Sunday 1st September.
We had our full wedding there in 2012 and although the hotel was being renovated we had a great day and the staff were fantastic.
My problem with our recent visit was the very poor service. I rarely complain and if it was not the fact it was our anniversay I would have left which is something I have never done.
We were left waiting for a seat and when we were seated the service was terrible. There were 14 people in total in the whole restaurant and we just sat there waiting and waiting. We ordered drinks and the waiter forgot us and on another occasion the waiter was clearly busy yet the barman was standing around? Should the barman not be getting the drinks?
Other couples were also sat there looking blankly at each other so it was not just us.
I understand fresh cooked food will always take a while to prepare but the food is not cheap. I accept it is not London prices but it is not pub food either but it was pub food service which is fine and I regularly enjoy pub meals.

One thing I will say is the actual food is superb and our problem is with the service not the food.

Maybe we had a bad night but that was our experience and it would take a lot to entice me back there.

• 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank Jamesy1971
Dear James,

Thank you for your feedback from your last visit to Moltens Restaurant, however I was utterly disappointed to read about your experience so please accept my sincere apology.

I can assure you that this is not the service that we offer our guests and I have thoroughly investigated the incident which after review could have been completely avoided.

We have used your experience in our training manual to highlight the importance of proper and direct communication between departments. Again please accept my sincere apology and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

I would be grateful if you would contact me directly to discuss your experience in more detail,

01908561666
Blackpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

We stayed this weekend whilst attending a wedding at the golf course next door. Cannot praise the staff and hotel enough apart from a few little niggles, a few cobwebs in the room on TV, wardrobe and light fittings (room 162). Very comfy bed, super shower and great food. Decorated and furnished in a very contempoary theme. Will visit again when in area. Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear NAFJA,

Thank you very much for your comments it was truly a pleasure to read and I was very happy that you enjoyed your stay.

I have investigated the issues you reported regarding the cobweb and can assure you that this has been dealt with, the housekeeping standards are generally very high in our hotel so I was disappointed to read that not everything lived up to expectations, please accept my sincere apology for this.

I was very happy to read that you enjoyed the bed as I can only agree it is very comfortable. The Mercure Breakfast is one of our highlights and I was happy to read that you had a good experience in our restaurant.

My team and I look forward to welcome you and your family back during your next visit to Milton Keynes,