“Excellet Hotel”

Mercure Milton Keynes Abbey Hill
Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Milton Keynes
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Very Friendly Staff would recommend Very clean, excellent wifi they give you several wifi connections one for each of your computers or ipad/Phone.
This Hotel is handy for town and close to Motorway or MK Dons football stadium

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Gill b, Front Office Manager at Mercure Milton Keynes Abbey Hill, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

Thank you for staying with us and for your feedback. It is a good to hear that our new product is exceeding our guests expectations and we are providing the service expected.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stayed here because it was convenient for visiting a hospital so were fairly fraught and after checking in went out only to return late evening. The hotel is part way through a complete revamp - our corridor was half old, empty rooms and half brand new ones. The smell of paint was a bit overwhelming and persisted in the room. The room itself was nicely appointed with a big bright abstract painting, wardrobe, desk and chair with mirror and a nice shower room. The bed (what they call zipped - i.e. two singles forming one (very large) bed (I had asked about their 'kingsized' beds to be told they were five feet wide, whereas the zipped ones were six feet wide). It was also about the highest bed I've ever slept in, my feet could not be flat on the ground when I sat on it and my wife's feet dangled in the air. It was a very comfortable bed, however, the bedding was not really 'fit for purpose' as the bottom sheet was not long enough to tuck under the mattress, so it rode up a little in the night. The furnishings were fine, including a wide flat screen TV. Having said that I think that the owners will find laminated board a false economy in a year or so it will probably look tatty, wood would live longer.

There was a small kettle and coffee etc and a hairdryer built into a drawer. A bedside phone connected to reception and all lights could be worked from bedside switches. So far so good.

The heating system did not appear to be working and there was a convector heater beside the bed which, as it was a very cold night, we had to resort to so the air was uncomfortable dry and stuffy while the floor stayed freezing. There appeared to be no heating in the bathroom and it was very cold in the morning. The biggest drawback was the lack of information... in the entire room there was just one leaflet about the complimentary bottle of water (with a £5 tag if you took the bottle away!) Nothing explained how the heating worked, or the telephone or TV etc. We were late into our room so gave up trying to figure out the heating and just went to be too tired to watch TV.

We braved the icy shower (which was a good size and nicely powerful). We decided to check right out without sampling the overpriced breakfast where there would have been a bare few coppers left out of £30 for the two of us.

We complained about the heating to be told there was heating in the form of the convector heater, but the aircon was not connected as the re-furb was not complete... this might well have effected our decision to stay had we known in advance. We were also told there was underfloor heating in the bathroom - had we turned it on? I felt my ire begin to rise so asked through gritted teeth if we were supposed to hit upon that through a lucky guess. We also pointed out that the cheap and nasty hair dryer over heated and cut out before my wife's (short) hair had even half dried.

We also found the hotel very uncompromising on our asking for a credit note for checking out a day early due to rather difficult circumstances. Apparently it was company policy to be inflexible.

So what could be a pleasant well appointed hotel was marred by lack of information and that is bad management, whereas the inflexibility is just bad business!

4  Thank grumpyoldbirder
Gill b, Front Office Manager at Mercure Milton Keynes Abbey Hill, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to complete the review on tripadvisor following your recent stay with us.
It is good to see that despite these minor issues you still appear to have generally enjoyed your stay with us scoring the guest rooms, cleanliness and sleep quality highly. We will, of course, take your constructive feedback regarding the guest room on board and deal with these matters.

The hotel is in the latter stages of a total refurbishment and renovation program which has lifted all facilities to a 4 star standard, these works will shortly be completed and will I am sure improve our hotel greatly, and we can only apologise that you fel that this had effected your stay and you chose to leave us early.
We hope that you will choose to stay with us again soon and will notice improvements as we gradually move all standards upwards to give even higher levels of guest comfort and service

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Have stayed in this hotel previously and only stayed here because my company books it never liked it here rooms where out dated etc etc
But now the rooms are fantastic clean and modern the food is fantastic had steak which comes on a sizzler impressed to be honest
Also a special mention to staff really nice very helpful they made time to chat and make sure everyone in restaurant was looked after
Looking forward to returning

4  Thank Charles U

Thank you for staying with us and for your brilliant feedback. I am so pleased that we were able to exceed your expectation levels and offer great standards and service across the board with particular mention for the rooms and our Moltens restaurant, our new hot rock concept.

We hope you will continue to choose Mercure wherever possible for your accommodation needs and certainly look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

Nice hotel,lovely clean newly refurbished room with comfortable king size bed,only stairs to allocated room,but help offered with bags,overlooked a car park...No instructions in rooms on how to turn on shower/bath but eventually worked it out!slightly tricky to reach controls as shower screen fixed in place, bath room floor had warm underfloor heating,no instructions for other heating/air con. Hot chocolate sachets on the hospitality tray but no biscuits!
Greeting on reception polite and professional, polite and cheerful waitress at dinner, evening meal acceptable but nothing to write home about. Breakfast competently completed and lots of choice.Checking out quick,polite and friendly.
However the reception staff were simply fantastic and scored 10/10 when after check out, I stupidly locked my car keys and all my belongings in the car, including my phone and purse and was due at an appointment nearby.They cheerfully and quickly found the relevant tel numbers rang the rac and allowed me to speak to both rac and my appointment, they passed on messages immediately regarding estimated time of arrival and calmed me down with their helpful, friendly and compassionate approach.THANK YOU. (The rac arrived promptly and sorted the car to allow me on my way quickly too !Phew!)

2  Thank diana m

Thank you for staying with us and for your feedback on the amenities of our rooms, we are working on getting information in the rooms as soon as possible.
I am so pleased that our reception team we were able to exceed your expectation levels and that you managed to get your car quickly sorted, and that you enjoyed your breakfast and facilities of the hotel.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

Stayed at the Mercure Milton Keynes Abbey Hill a few weeks ago. It is simply the nicest place I have stayed in for a long time. Was checked in by Natalie and Colin (I think Colin was in training to help with his management duties) both gave me a warm welcome and were cheerful and helpful. I had a number of bags and again Colin was only too happy to help me carry them. The room was warm, clean, and looked lovely. Got settled in and went to the restaurant where yet again I was looked after by Colin and his team, his proper job is the bars manager. I had the HOT ROCK steak (you must try) and a nice glass of white wine followed by sticky toffee pudding. It was delicious.
Check out was a little slow but after such a pleasant stay that is a minor detail.
Over all it is a wonderful hotel with fantastic staff and is great value for money.
I will be back

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank quiao
Jon K, General Manager at Mercure Milton Keynes Abbey Hill, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, we are delighted that you enjoyed your visit and found everything to be to your liking.

I will ensure that the individual team members mentioned are made aware of your high level of satisfaction and also inform the team generally that you enjoyed the levels of guest service offered.

It is good to note that you dined from the Moltens Restaurant menu and thoroughly enjoyed the experience - the food really does taste good straight off the volcanic rocks!

I am delighted to see that you hope to return, we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Lovely hotel - great rooms - great service - couldn't ask for anything better. Very comfy beds!!
We were pleasantly surprised - great value for the price. Breakfast was the best I've had in this country - felt like one of those USA hotel breakfast
Huge selection and good standard. We are converted to Mercure brand.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Amyn810

Thank you for staying with us and for your brilliant feedback. I am so pleased that we were able to exceed your expectation levels and offer great standards and service across the board with particular mention for the rooms and breakfast.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

We stayed overnight in this very welcoming hotel as were going to a Billy Fury evening in the area. The welcome that we received from the Receptionist was so good, she couldn't do enough for us to make our stay enjoyable. As it was our first stay, we were upgraded to a superior room, bed was so comfortable, furnishings and decoration was quite luxurious. Tea and coffee and refreshments in the room amongst other refreshments. Soft fluffy dressing gowns, cosy slippers, and very comfortable bath and shower.

Room Tip: You might like to say it is your first time to stay, they may give you an upgrade too !