“Not The Best Strada”
Review of Strada - Milton Keynes - CLOSED

Strada - Milton Keynes
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Strada Milton Keynes is a part of the newly developed Hub MK overlooking the central piazza. The restaurant is the perfect place for taking a break from shopping, business lunches or private functions and has plenty of outside seating for al fresco dining. Strada Milton Keynes is a part of the well-known group of contemporary Italian restaurants located on the high street serving good quality, simple, freshly prepared dishes using the finest seasonal produce available. The menus offer hand stretched pizzas, fresh pastas and risotto, as well as grilled meat and fish dishes.
Reviewed November 8, 2012

We have eaten in several Strada restaurants, mainly in and around London, and have always found them to be reliable, good value, with very good food. The Milton Keynes Strada was certainly not as good as others we have visited. When we arrived, we ordered some flatbread, which we were hoping to eat whilst deciding what to order for our main meal. After quite a lot of debate with the waiter about which bread and which flavour we wanted, our order was taken - or so we thought. We then ordered a bottle of wine, which arrived quite promptly. Assuming that the bread was on its way, we ordered our starters and main courses. After a while the starters were brought to us by a different member of staff. We asked about the bread, only to find that the order had never been made. To his credit, the waiter who had taken the order did come over and apologise when his colleague asked him what had happened. But we were really looking forward to the pesto flatbread and were disappointed not to get it.

The food was mostly good - bruschetta and pollo milanese were average; the mozzarella in the tricolore salad was very good, as was the sea bass and pesto mash. The dessert I wanted wasn't available, so we both had chocolate fondant, which was nice, but not the best we've ever had. The Chianti was good.

We did receive a free glass of limoncello at the end of the meal, perhaps to compensate for the missing bread, although that wasn't clear.

The restaurant is in The Hub, which I can imagine is very lively at times, but it was very quiet early on a Friday evening and the restaurant felt quite cold.

If this was my first Strada experience I wouldn't hurry to find another one.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

On the surface, this should have been a great meal out. The restaurant is pleasant enough - bright, well lit, clean and the staff were very pleasant and helpful.
The food though, is really nothing to shout about. My £16.95 rib-eye steak was decidedly average and clearly not the finest cut of meat. Mum was pleased with her lamb shank though I would guess it had arrived mass catered and vacuum packed - maybe even with the mashed potatoes which accompanied it. The same can be said for my partner's pork fillet. Very much a pre-prepared portion. I don't know if £85 on three courses (food only) for three people is the norm for Milton Keynes but for packaged chain restaurant food it seemed a bit steep for what we got. I'm sure there are many excellent pubs in the area where that sort of money would buy generous portions of freshly cooked food.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

We booked three days in advance but when we arrived they hadn't got our booking. The restaurant was full and very busy, but there were very few staff waiting on tables. It took a long time for our drinks to arrive, we had to ask when our ciabatta would arrive. We then found we had the ciabatta and our starter at the same time. I ordered prawns in garlic, lovely but no finger bowl, I had to go to the ladies to wash my hands (which please note is upstairs and not clearly marked). After a lengthy time our main course arrived and we were very disappointed. The plates were cold, some of the food was cold and the sauce had obviously been standing for some time as a skin had formed. Our side dish of creamed spinach was in a cold dish so the food got cold very quickly, the spinach was not so much creamed as sitting in runny cream.

Would I return - certainly not. It may have a one off blip but a big enough blip to put me off.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

The food was very nice, especially the Zuppa Vongole. Unfortunately the slow service had a negative impact on the whole experience. The service did improve after the starters arrived, but waiting 25 minutes for drinks is not acceptable.
If they sort out the service issue then I would recommend to friends and all.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

This is a good quality Strada, we've eaten there on a handful of occasions and always had a good experience. The food is always good and we've never had reason to grumble about anything.