“oohhh great”

Ranked #1 of 32 Milton Keynes B&B and Inns
doverdale
“oohhh great”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Found this gem via laterooms booked then checked tripadvisor and saw the fab reviews.... was not disappointed
excellent contemporary accomodation with a fabulous comfy bed
wonderful clean bathroom with a brilliant shower....could have stayed in for hours
excellent cooked breakfast
good location
shall definitely stay again

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank r1yamahagirl
Julia_Cox, Owner at South Lodge, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Thanks so much for the great review - and photos!

See you again sometime,

Julia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Malaga, Spain
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Having stayed at numerous bed and breakfasts around the country I can safely say this is the best establishment I have stayed in. The contemporary rooms are furnished with good quality beds and furniture and are always impeccably clean. There is a pub five mins walk away for supper. Breakfasts are great, better than many five star hotels.
Julia and Colin are very welcoming. Julia runs the establishment with quiet efficiency.
Definitely the best place to stay in the Milton Keynes area.

Room Tip: All rooms are first class
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Julia_Cox, Owner at South Lodge, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Thanks very much for your review and we hope to see you again soon!

Yorkshire
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Stayed here as a way to be close-ish to Heathrow for a flight the following day, and suffice to say we will be doing so again in future for sure. The location was perfect for our needs, just a few minutes off the M1 and an hour from Heathrow, but it was so much more than a convenience stop.

The room we stayed in was simply gorgeous. The furnishings and decor are modern, stylish and of the highest quality and you could tell no expense has been spared and no compromises made. Throughout the property there is a fantastic collection of modern art, and the effect is to elevate your stay into the 'a bit special' category!

We were informed beforehand by the owners that they would not be around, and it was a shame we didn't get to meet them this time, but the lady who looked after us was really nice and gave us a lovely breakfast the next morning. I had the corncakes with bacon and maple syrup, and it was absolutely yummy!

We dined at the Wavendon Arms close by, and had an equally impressive meal there, so all in all we definitely felt like we'd started our holiday a day early and in fine fashion.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Julia_Cox, Owner at South Lodge, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Thanks for your wonderful review; I hope you had a great holiday and look forward to meeting you at another time!

Wirral,United Kingdom
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I write this review with regret as South Lodge is the best kept secret in Milton Keynes and by writing this glowing review I am making it more difficult for me to book ! However I owe it to Julia and Colin as they do such a great job. I've been staying here on business on an almost weekly basis for the last 5 years. It is a real home from home, with the underfloor heating, designer furniture, fluffy towels, home made biscuits/muffins, great breakfasts, homemade jams/marmalade, homemade bread, quality tea and coffee, fresh milk in the in room fridge, free wifi, memory foam mattresses, etc etc . It's the attention to detail that makes it so special and the generosity
of the hosts. The lodge itself is in a secluded part of wavendon village, parking is directly outside the rooms which is important with heavy luggage. The landscaped gardens are beautiful and each room overlooks them, with the option to sit outside on the terrace. Julia and Colin are great sources of information as they are gastronomic and cultural gurus for the local area. All in all it's a fab place to stay, just do me a favour and keep it to yourself :0)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank MarkSutton
Julia_Cox, Owner at South Lodge, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Thanks very much for writing such a fulsome review! It inspires us to keep up the standard!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I stay at South Lodge almost every week. It is a haven away from the city and very much better value in every degree than the hotels in the city. The decor and ambience is very relaxing, and reminds me very much of some of the up-market boutique hotels. Food is always of very high quality indeed,
Generosity is the key here: there is always a complementary newspaper, arrival snack and several bottles of sparkling mineral water!

Room Tip: Rooms at South Lodge are spacious and light.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank DanT186338
Julia_Cox, Owner at South Lodge, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Thanks so much for your review; there's nothing as reassuring as a review from someone who stays here a lot!

Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I opted for the new room 4. It was very clean and was decorated very modern and looked lovely. It had its own balcony area but there was only one chair so we didnt really spend time outside. I personally did not like not having a carpet to walk on. This made the room feel cold and didn't give it that 'cosy' feel. The heating thermostat did not work and the room was too cold for comfort and my feet and nose were cold and I was not able to relax wearing a thick fleece jumper, but the staff handled this well by giving me an electric blow heater to warm the room up. Unfortunately this interrupted our romantic anniversary evening as we had to wait a while for this to be put in our room, plus we had to open the door to the staff member a few times to get access to the thermostat prior to this. There was no evening meal available that night as the owners were away! I was told this by email prior to staying but still decided to book the room. I now regret doing this as we decided to order take out and it was the worst Indian take out I have EVER had. I am still trying to sort out the refund with 'Just Eat'. Do not order with 'Gourmet Cuisine'. The breakfast was good and we had a good huge selection to choose from, but the sausages were hard and dry and over cooked. The staff were just lovely, they couldn't have been nicer. They even gave a sausage for my pet dog.
All in all we had a terrible 5th wedding anniversary and put it down to 'just one of those nights where everything went wrong'
But we did get discount for the cold room, thank you.

Room Tip: Room 4 is good is you are travelling with a pet dog as you are on your own and away from the main ho...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Julia_Cox, Owner at South Lodge, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
I am very sorry that your evening here was spoiled by the heating problem and your take away. We work hard to ensure everyone who comes here has a wonderful time, especially for a special occasion, and are sorry that you felt let down.

As you know I was away that weekend and after looking at your comments and speaking to my staff I dont believe that I could have done more had I been present. The heating problem meant that the temperature was stuck at 19 degrees and was not adjustable. It's the 1st time this has happened & it was fixed as soon as possible the next day. Hopefully the heater we gave you kept you warm for the rest of your evening.

I'm not familiar with the take away company you used. We can supply guests with menus to two good local Indian take aways.

We have several seating areas for two in the garden. However I have taken on board your feedback and added an extra chair to the patio area for that room.

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

I travel extensively on business and as a result get pretty fed up of the normal hotel experience. South Lodge and Julia are a breath of fresh air. A superb room, great bed and linens, complimentary wifi, fresh cooked breakfast to order, wonderful bathrooms and power showers. All within 10 mins of both the M6 and MK central. After all that the little touches like Julia's fresh baked biscuits in the room, a kettle with fresh coffee, selection of teas and fresh milk in the fridge really do add up. All in at less per night than the dreadfully dreary Hilton just down the road and I couldn't recommend it highly enough.

On a recent project I was at South Lodge 3-4 nights a week. It was a proper home from home.

Oh, it's pretty green / Eco friendly if your into that, it adds to the comfort though, unlike some Eco attempts!

Go, but just not when I want to be there!

Stayed April 2012
Julia_Cox, Owner at South Lodge, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Thanks so much for placing your review; it's so useful for our potential customers to see that existing customers have had a good experience over an extended period.

Hope to see you again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Milton Keynes
Woughton House - MGallery by Sofitel (was Mercure Parkside House)
Holiday Inn Express Milton Keynes
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Milton Keynes
Mercure Milton Keynes Abbey Hill
Mercure Milton Keynes Abbey Hill
#3 of 34 in Milton Keynes

Been to South Lodge? Share your experiences!