“Querky Service with Great Food”
Review of The Malaysian Restaurant - CLOSED

The Malaysian Restaurant
Cuisines: Malaysian
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Walked past this place once and didnt notice it but once I went in was greeted by a very welcoming waiter who relaxed you immediately. The place is decorated to a good standard and the menu varied with a wide choice. I chose the Tom Yam and a chicken dish and noodle dish and a single Tiger beer. I felt £25 was expensive for what I ordered but the food was good and extremely fresh. No annoying MSG on the pallet afterwards. Engaging conversation made the whole experience most enjoyable therefore I will be returning. Well done!!!

Reviewed August 23, 2012

Such a shame. We used to love this restaurant but the latest was a take-away where the food was tasteless, the meat obviously pre-cooked separately (flavours were not infused) and the price was comparatively high.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

We've visited the Malaysian twice recently, once in July and again this week in August. Both times our meals were great. Yes, it was a bit quiet in there on both occasions but to be honest it made a welcome change from the Friday / Saturday night drunkenness of Stony Stratford high street. If anything, it meant our service was more personal.

We started with Kahang Chicken Satay, followed by Beef Redang curry and Beehoon Goreng noodles, followed by complimentary fresh fruit.

Great, tasty food. Very authentic. Friendly hospitable welcome. Well worth a visit.

2  Thank Button99
Reviewed May 15, 2012

8 pm on a saturday night, My partner and I walked in. No lights on, no one to be seen, no customers, cold.... was it open? We rang the bell on the counter and eventually someone came to speak to us and sat us in the window (colder still!!!).

We had been told the food was very nice here so went in with high hopes. We ordered 2 starters to share, the potato cakes and samosas, plain but I am allergic to sellfish and everything else contains prawns which was fine but the food was pretty bland and TINY portions. For mains, we ordered a beef rendang, a chicken and chilli dish a couple of sides and we asked for a recommendation for a side dish with no fish, the noodles. fine.

The main courses came in small cereal bowls half full - hardly a meal?! the noodle side dish we ordered was huge (the bill later stated we'd been charged for it as a main course so had £8 worth of noodles.... *sigh* *giving up at this point*) The rendang was nice but nothing special, the rest, my partners Philippino mother could have (and does) cook better from home. The lady who served us was lovely but insisted that I (presumably being white) would not be able to handle the spice of the food. Quite a general assumption?! Even when I saidI loved spice she continued to say it would be too spicy.

The food definately needs to up it's game, The chinese restaurant owned by the same family must keep this one open. Only 2 more people came in while we were there, no atmosphere and weird songs from musicals played on panpipes does nothing to set a nice tone. The only saving grace were the drinks. homemade lemonade and grass jelly, never seen it on a menu in Milton Keynes and was nice to try something different.

ALSO- they include service charge in the bill. I expect this for tables of 6 or more in most places. but a table of 2? and the only people in there? seemed a bit cheeky when it came to £5 and she hadn't really had to do anything for us.

I won't go back. Mainly because it was overpriced for average food and being in an empty restaurant is weirdly depressing. It's a shame because i feel there's a market for authentic asian cooking in an area with so many foodies. And the other reason I won't go back is even after stating I'm allergic to shellfish and asking for it to be catered to, I was VERY ill all night. My partner wasn't which can only mean there was shellfish contamination. The icing on a pretty shoddy cake.

Reviewed April 24, 2012

We're keen on Malaysian food, and have tried this restaurant a couple of times. It's always disappointed, the food is consistently no better than I can do at home, with the taste of pre made( supermarket style) sauces. Not unpleasant but not an authentic experience in my view, and not much of a culinary experience. The dessert offering is usually tinned lychees and ice cream which is unsophisticated tomsaybthe least, and we've now decided not to return. Too many other choices in Stony Stratford to risk another disappointment.