“Enjoyable evening in Milton Keynes”
Review of Loch Fyne

Loch Fyne
Ranked #28 of 550 Restaurants in Milton Keynes
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Loch Fyne restaurants present a fine selection of fresh shellfish and oysters, along with seasonal fish and seafood specials. Each restaurant is rustic yet contemporary, with an elegant ambience. Grilled meat dishes are available at Loch Fyne, along with a popular kids menu. All of the fresh seafood is sustainably sourced.
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Finding myself rather unexpectedly in Milton Keynes for the evening we set out to find a quick cheap meal out before an early start the next morning. After a bit of driving around found 'the Hub' which contained lots of restaurants, including Loch Fyne which hubby headed straight for.
We were pleasantly surprised, were meeted and greeted and my coat hung up (it was too long to hang over the chair back), introduced to our waitress who took us through the specials and brought drinks quickly (always a good move). Good atmosphere even though it was obviously a modern square-ish unit. After perusing the menu the idea of quick and cheap was set aside and we got stuck in to Tempura Squid (wonderfully light tempura) and Game Terriine (one of the specials) followed by Scallops for me and Lobster for him, and a bottle of Laroche Chablis. Service was friendly and attentive without intrusive, the guys in the kitchen I could see working very neatly and the food arrived at the right temperature well presented. We resisted a second bottle of wine but went for cheese/pud and a glass of each of house red. An excellent evening and if I found myself in Milton Keynes again would be very happy to revisit.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

We ate at the Milton Keynes restaurant 3rd February for a birthday and I was very surprised with how the restaurant has deteriorated. We were not told about any specials, the plates that we were given had just come out of the dishwasher complete with bits of old food. There was food under the table from previous guests and outside there were old newspapers under the tables. The chef used the microwave more than I do at home and for the price you pay I do not expect to eat a microwave meal. A chef was also eating while walking from one station to another which was not very professional. It looked as though the staff just wanted to go home and were not interested in the guests. We used to go to the restaurant for special occasions however after this experience we will now be going to yo sushi.

BEWARE!

Reviewed February 5, 2013

So it's a blowy Tuesday in Milton Keynes and I decided to try Loch Fyne Oyster Bar. Ironically I remember when Johnny and Alan first opened the shop at Loch Fyne and Johnny gave me my first oyster knife which I still have.

I digress....Set menu £14.95 for 2 courses with a glass of wine £16.95 for 3 courses

Cullen Skink for starters nice quite peppery and I think the potato was added later not cooked with, could also have been half the size if spud. Some might say the bowl was small, I would disagree, Cullen skunk is a meal in itself so this was right.

Megrim sole and twice cooked chips.

Sole a good size, good taste dusted with butter and salt crystals. The salt crystals could give someone a nasty surprise, try Maldon flakes. A little more butter would have been nice.
Chips ....I bang on about treble cooked but these are the best I have had in Milton Keynes.

House Chardonnay just right not too sweet

Reviewed January 25, 2013

Dear Sir/Madame,
Unfortunately on this beautiful night celebrating life and writings of Robert Burns I am not sitting among fellow patrons of Burns's poetry and Loch Fyne fine quisine, but rather writing this sad tale of Burns Night.
That's started on 14th of December when on my way home I bobbed into Loch Fyne Milton Keynes and seeing announcement of Burns night booked a table for me and my wife. No deposit was requested and being a regular I was warmly greeted by a member of staff I am familiar with. That was the last nice part of this tale.
Today on 25th of January I rang Loch Fyne Milton Keynes at around 6pm to make sure I remember the time I booked this table for correctly. Uncharacteristically for Loch Fyne Milton Keynes I was answered by a young lady that introduced herself as Emma and with no pretence for care or actually checking informed me that I was not on the booking list.
When I suggested double checking this the young lady in question with mechanical perfection suggesting a long practice pretended to check for my name first on hard copy and then on computer. Amusingly she didn't realise that a phone connection was good enough to allow me to hear that wasn't doing anything she impyed. I could clearly hear people talking around her and on the street near the entrance (her station is right in front of the main entrance). What she wasn't doing was checking in any kind of papers or computer terminal.
Annoyed by this cheerful lack of customer service I asked a number of questions of the nature how can I verify that I indeed booked the table. In a same automatic answering machine manner I was informed that "the only way to be on the list was to be on the list because everybody who booked and paid deposit was on the list" - end of quote.
May I remind you, I wasn't asked for any kind of deposit. Furthermore deposit wasn't suggested on the announcement.
At this point after not seeing any attempt to resolve situation and hearing "I am sorry, I don't have you on the list anywhere" in a very annoyed tone that implied without any shadow of a doubt that I should stop wasting important people's time I hang up after suggesting improvements to the booking procedure were needed.
My wife only heard my side of the conversation and being kind soul that she is assumed that there was some kind of misunderstanding. She called the restaurant's number in about five minutes or so. Upon trying to explain the situation she interrapted midsentence by the same "helpful" young lady and subjected to a brisk talking at for lack of manners of her husband. I know it is hard to relate such an elusive thing as a tone and general attitude of conversation in written word, but one can only think of American description I once heard overseas: "I don't give a crap and I know that you know that I don't give a crap, but I am saying "Sir" and "please" and "thank you" enough times so you cannot say that I am impolite". Only difference is young lady called Emma didn't really said "Sir", "thank you" etc. She just made it clear that she didn't give a crap.
The talking at my wife by said Emma among other things was build around the notion that she was working hard and trying to find a table for us when I so rudely hang up on her. I want to make it clear - nowhere during nearly ten minute conversation I had with Emma was it suggested, impyed or hinted then there was even a remote chance of anything of the sort. All through the conversation I had with her I was given to understand that the place was packed to the rafters and I should stop wasting her time, especially since I obviously didn't pay a deposit.
As I mentioned, my wife is a very kind soul. She doesn't scream at people, she doesn't yell at people, she doesn't shout at people - she doesn't say an impolite word. But at the end of being talked at by Emma she asked to speak to the manager. Without as much as taking a breath Emma said that she was a manager. And when asked to spek to the superior she also instantly informed my wife that she was indeed the owner of Loch Fyne.
To tell you the truth I don't know if I should feel priviledged to have been in a conversation with the owner of the multibranch restaraunt brand who just happened to men a low-ranking management station at a busy night in one of her restaurants. Or perhaps just be annoyed because I was lied to flatly without hint of care by person that ruins otherwise perfectly fine restaurant as surely as a pack of rotten fish in the freezer.
In the end I want to point out that we have been regulars of Loch Fyne in Milton Keynes for over a year. By "regulars" I mean we were there frequent enough to remember members of staff by name - and to be remembered by members of staff bby name. We routinely brought our friends and collegues to Loch Fyne specifically because of exeptional service and fine food.
After tonight's experience I simply don't know if I should bother returning member's club card or simply drop it into the garbage.
I want to point out that I hope this is failure of a single member of staff and not some kind of policy change. But for now the mood is rotten. I will long and hard if I want to return to Milton Keynes Loch Fyne.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Nice size portions, fresh and good quality ingredients. Nice friendly and discreet staff. Reasonable prices for superior food. I strongly suggest that anyone looking for a great seafood eatery goes there. Hubby says saves going all the way to Jersey for decent seafood.