“Valentines Meal”

Ranked #385 of 551 Restaurants in Milton Keynes
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 15, 2013

As a lover of 'pub grub' and great value for money, after seeing the menu/price, we booked The Caldecotte for our Valentines meal out and we weren't disappointed. The table had a real single red rose on it plus love heart confetti. There was a good choice on the fixed menu price, we had the platter to share for starters, and 8oz steak/onion rings/tomato/mushrooms/chips & peas for mains and the cookie dough pizza to share for our dessert. As part of the deal, we also received a glass of Echo Falls Zinfandel wine. There was no complaints on any of the food, it was all cooked deliciously and the whole 3 course meal + wine cost £25.00, just £12.50 per head - what a bargain! We have been there once before for a cheap quick lunch out which was also very nice and we will certainly be returning and hope the Mothers Day menu is just as good!

1  Thank Karen T

Reviewed January 27, 2013

Dined here last night for an early tea, around 5:30pm, was busy on arrival but by no means stacked out, a la TGI style. Tables which were free were not cleaned between diner changeover, food debris on the floor and not many waiting staff to request cleaning. Queue to order food was constantly 5+ people deep, not sure why they didn't have more than one till taking food orders to ease this. Advised the wait for food was 30 mins. No issue with this until I observed 2 groups of diners who arrived later than us being served their food before ours arrived. They were right, 40 mins wait for a salad, a jacket potatoe, gammon steak and a pie. I have to say, aside from any gripes I have, the food was ok, like other reviewers have said, you get what you pay for. The place is clearly geared up to cater for families, a reasonably priced and varied menu for all, but with that comes the chaos and noise of children - just a warning if you're planning a romantic night for two anytime soon! When our food arrived it was absent of cutlery and sauces, not terribly helpful and regardless of the food prices it's a simple expectation, unless you're at a self service restaurant. The absence of waiting staff meant you had to use your initiative and find it yourself. I did however have to go ask a member of staff for a sauce which was delivered as part of my salad as the first pot served was merely half full and not enough to accompany the whole salad. The young lady concerned, (blonde hair, black rimmed glasses) was dismissive to say the least and advised me that she would try but they were very busy. Unsurprisingly, the sauce didn't arrive. I mentioned it again when she came to clear our plates, my half eaten salad obvious, and she simply said someone was meant to have brought it out. And that concluded my experience at the Caldecotte Arms. I won't be heading back, I will instead choose to wander over to the Harvester at Xscape or Pizza Hut, places with like typed price offerings but significantly better customer service. I understand the place has been recently renovated, it looks nice, but I'd strongly suggest that management revisit staff training on cleaning and hygiene to try and keep it looking good and a reminder on what good customer service looks and feels like. And sort out your resources, someone please!

Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Caldecotte Arms, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Dear MissV-MiltonKeynes,
Thank for taking the time to provide us with your review.

I would like to apologise for service you received at Caldecotte Arms. I have passed on your comments to our management team and have sent you a direct message to discuss this further.

Fayre & Square

Reviewed January 19, 2013

Beer good, food......starter was great, main was dull, desert was great! Beakfast was fantastic! If they could just sort out the main course! Other people have said the same thing, Absolutely no offence to the Caldecotte, it was lovely, staff were great, spotless place, but some electrical sockets didnt work so had to move to plug in my laptop. Other than that a lovely place in a great setting, great staff, Please sort out the main course, it was the only disappointing part about my stay!

1  Thank IanIngamells
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Caldecotte Arms, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Dear IanIngamells

Thank for taking the time to provide us with your review.

I would like to apologise for the food you were served at the Caldecotte Arms. I have passed on your comments to our management team and have sent you a direct message to discuss this further.

Fayre & Square

Reviewed January 19, 2013

We stopped off here a while ago, a pretty random choice. The experience left a lot to be desired - food was pretty poor and unimaginative like chain food, and service was just ok. However the view of the lake was nice. I dont think I would go here to eat again, but the bar was ok.

Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Caldecotte Arms, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Dear B3ttyUk,
Thank for taking the time to provide us with your review.

I would like to apologise for service you received and for the food you were served at the Caldecotte Arms. I have passed on your comments to our management team and have sent you a direct message to discuss this further.

Fayre & Square.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

The lasagne was a " heat in the microwave meal", (no doubt the rest of the menu is similar) it came with pieces of cellophane in the meal. The waitress was foreign with very poor English, and did not understand what we were saying to her, service in general was very poor.

1  Thank Debby S