“I hope this was just a "blip" ….”
Review of Jalori

Jalori
Ranked #76 of 555 Restaurants in Milton Keynes
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We regularly visit the Jalori Indian restaurant in Woburn Sands, just outside Milton Keynes. Of all the local Indians it has long been our favourite for excellent food and service. So what happened yesterday evening (Sunday 29th December 2013)?

When our party of four arrived at our allotted time (7.30) the restaurant was busy. We could see an empty table, uncleared from the previous customers and were asked to take a seat in the waiting area. We waited. And waited. No-one offered to take a drinks order or gave us any idea how long our wait would be. Finally we were ushered to a table. Good. Things back on course, we thought.

Our food order arrived, apart from my rice. I asked the others to start, but they felt awkward, so I made inroads into my Dansak without rice. I chased my missing order twice and it finally arrived, without any apparent sense of urgency or understanding as to why I was becoming agitated.

A friend ordered water. On third request it arrived and the jug was placed on an adjoining empty table. Before we'd had a chance to pour, and without us noticing, it inexplicably disappeared again.

Now to the food itself. Usually excellent, last night it was disappointing. Bland side dishes, tough chicken. This was far from our worst restaurant experience, but we couldn't figure why everything was sub-standard on this particular evening. They didn't appear to be any busier than usual, or bogged down with takeaway orders.

When the bill arrived it amounted to £74. Not wishing to be petty we agreed to leave £80. I gave my friend half this amount and he intended to pay the full £80 on his credit card, but the waiter had already entered £74. When my friend asked him to cancel and re-enter as £80 he was told, extremely curtly and rudely, that it was "too late". I told the waiter he was rude and he looked stunned. Perhaps the expected service standards at the Jalori have nosedived?

It is regret that I can only give the Jalori a 3/5 rating, which is if anything generous based on our experience. Last time it scored 5/5 and has only on one occasion out of scores of visits warranted less than this.

Sort it out guys! If last night had been our first visit based on a recommendation we would have struggled to understand the Jalori's appeal.

1  Thank PGeorgeB

Reviewed December 29, 2013

My wife and I treat Jalori as our local Indian restaurant and have done for over 10 years. The atmosphere and ambiance is consistantly very good. The food is excellant and always of high quality. Today we tried the Sunday Brunch. Extremely good value. Well worth a visit.

Reviewed December 24, 2013

Very good basic Indian food, albeit a lot of the menu is chosen for Non Indian people.
Good service generally, except when very busy.
I had to go and ask where the food was.

Considering I am a regular this was quite annoying.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

We go there about once a month and the food it lovely service was brilliant. The staff are so polite and helpful. There chicken tikka malsala is to die for with so many favours. I would recommend it to everyone.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

We have been here a number of times and the food never disappoints. We had a prawn and chicken dish from their special menu and I can honestly say it was the best meal yet. Not that it really spoilt the meal, but one of the waiters was the most miserable person we have been served by for a long time, in fact it was down right laugh at loud at times.....the other waiters more than made up for his personality bypass. Blinking good meal though!