“Local pub - no longer family friendly - landlord could improve his customer care skills” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Portsmouth Arms

The Portsmouth Arms
Reserve with OpenTable
The Portsmouth Arms is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #56 of 253 Restaurants in Basingstoke
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Brew Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Kids, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

The Portsmouth arms hatch warren Basingstoke has been our local pub for 8 years,.

An incident occurred recently that resulted in us feeling embarrassed and continually harassed by the bar staff all because we had decided to have a family drink in the beer garden one evening during the school summer holidays. We did want to eat their but they'd stopped serving food at 9pm.

After getting our drinks we sat in beer garden and was then approach by bar staff and told that we would have to leave because children we're not allowed after 9pm as it was the law..We were somewhat shocked by this new revelation as this has been our local pub for over 8 years and have never been told of this before.

The bar person came back a second time approx 5 min later and told us the landlord said we could finish our drinks first.

Approx 10 min later we approached by another bar person who told us we had to leave.

We have always seen the Portsmouth arms hatch warren Basingstoke as a local pub and therefore shocked that at no time did the landlord make an effort to explain / smooth over the situation which one would have expected from a landlord of a local pub..

Appalling customer care

• Visited August 2013

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“Need to find a new local!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

What a shame, that this place is not as good as it used to be. My colleagues and I have been coming here for several years for meals including Christmas meals. We recently came for lunch for 20 people - we had phoned our order through and booked for 12.15.
The bar service was very slow, only one person, even though other staff around. We were told that there was a half hour wait for food, even though we'd told them we were this large party and told that was why there was a delay. We had to ask when it was coming, no apology when it did arrive.
We had to wait over half an hour for our food, which was mainly baguettes anyway!
One of our party did not get their food until we had all finished.
All the portion were small and my friend who ordered a salad at nearly TEN POUNDS said it was the worse salad she'd ever had - it was awful, tiny portion, with only one tomato!
When they delivered the food, during, cleared, no one asked us if everything was alright, no wonder!
Sorry Portsmouth, your now being plain greedy and have 'fleeced' the last £200 from us!

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Rudishire
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“Never had a bad meal here”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

We go to this pub all the time, and have never had a bad meal in 7 years. The staff are friendly, good choices for kids and we like having a local pub we can take our dog to. Puds are always worth being naughty for!

Have gone here with friends, for work, as a family and just the two of us.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Diabolical!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

Absolutely appalling! Cheap nasty food, rude bar staff, overpriced and ice cream served in HOT bowls. The Manager shouting at his staff about the service before closing the kitchen due to his embarrassment was the pinnacle of the evening. Definitely wont be coming again!!! The beer was ok though apparently!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Boycey66
“Lovely dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

I have been here quite a few times in the past and the food has always been pretty good. I went here again on 6/6 for my birthday and found the menu has changed so I presume it is under new management. I pre-booked my table so no problems there. Myself and my sister arrived later than the others who had already been given the menu. Having previously reviewed the web I saw that they had a two dine for £20 sharing menu where you shared a starter, had two mains and shared a pudding. My friend had not been offered this menu so I asked for it and most of us ended up having this menu because for my part the choice was better and it was a good deal. I had pate to start very nice with plenty of pate and some crusty bruschetta type bread to accompany it, we then both had scampi and chips of witch there was plenty, For pudding we shared a very tasty crumble which came with two individual jugs of custard. So although the choice was more limited than it used to be, the food we had was very tasty and I would go again. The only thing that let them down initially was that they forgot to send the order through to the kitchen so our food was a bit late, Jokingly I said to the manager who had apologised, that as its my birthday then that has to be worth a free round of drinks to which he laughed and said that was a swear word. Then maybe 10 minutes later the waiter came back and said I believe you all need a free round of drinks and we did get a free round. What a lovely gesture! The location of this pub may be on an estate of a road but it ia pretty looking pub with plenty of room and plenty of outside space and parking

• 5 of 5 bubbles