“Lovely Christmas dinner”

Chineham Arms
Ranked #97 of 256 Restaurants in Basingstoke
Cuisines: British, Bar, Gastropub, Grill
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: A family pub in the village of Chineham, near Basingstoke, this lovely retreat boasts great fresh food, fine ales and no shortage of charm and character. With a spacious open-plan bar and a warm welcome from staff, you'll feel instantly at home at The Chineham Arms.
Reviewed February 16, 2014

I had my 'business' Christmas dinner here - I say 'business' but I'm a sole trader so it was just me the hubby. Nevertheless it was a lovely meal, served quickly, great portion sizes too. We thoroughly enjoyed it. The only down-side is that the drinks are quite expensive so we didn't stay too long after the meal. Nice atmosphere, though! :)

There are newer reviews for Chineham Arms

Reviewed February 15, 2014

My husband and I have just returned from a really lovely meal at the Chineham Arms to celebrate valentine's Day. We've lived in Chineham for over 15 years and have eaten here quite a few times in the past. I have to say that this was the best experience so far. The staff had made a really nice effort decorating the tables and we were both served a complimentary glass of Prosecco on arrival. The two starters we had were: Venison carpaccio with rocket, and a wild mushroom risotto. The main courses were slow roast pork belly with grain mustard mash, creamed savoy, bacon & cider jus, and pan seared sea bass with wilted spinach & sweet potato rosti. For dessert we both had warm chocolate brownie with salted caramel ice-cream (yum!). The total bill including drinks was £48, excellent value, the service (thanks Hannah) was efficient and attentive without being intrusive, the food was delicious and we both had a really great evening out.

Well done Chineham Arms, we will be back soon (time to book the babysitter............again!)

Reviewed January 19, 2014

This is my local pub which offers food.
It has a poor reputation as a pub within the local community due to unfriendly bar staff and high prices.However it trades on the fact that it did not have any competition.What a shame...we really do need another pub.
My neighbour and I walked down to eat and hopefully enjoy the evening.We ordered a drink at the bar from a reasonably pleasant male.Standing by his side was another female staff member who looked at us with a stoney glare.She either does not need the job or does it under duress!!!
The food was ok.My chunky chips however were like tasteless pieces of wood but to be frank having read other reviews of this pub it was not worth complaining.It is disgusting that they get away with this purely because they have a captive audience.
Alot of Chineham residents would welcome another place to go where whether you are a regular or not you could enjoy a good meal and a drink....and of course at reasonable prices!!!

1  Thank Barcelona211
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Been 3 times now and it's a good honest pub. The service has been excellent and friendly on all occassions. Stick to your safe pub munu - ribs excellent, burgers and fish & chips are good. Don't bother with the pizza.

It is slightly over priced.

Reviewed November 30, 2013

Youngest son (12) and I were too idle to cook supper the other day as mum was out for the evening, so we decided to visit our local. We sat in the dining area and had waitress service, which was friendly. We decided on a starter and a main course. The wait between courses was just beginning to get to that stage where you start to feel forgotten when our main courses eventually arrived. Our general opinion of the meal was that it was OK, but my son's meal of cod and chips was spoilt by the batter, which was too thick and uncooked inside and, therefore, unpalatable. The fish was OK once the batter had been scraped off. We pointed this out to the waitress who said she would bring it to the notice of the chef. We heard nothing more and no apology was forthcoming, but we decided not to pursue a complaint any further as the rest of the meal had been of an acceptable standard. A shame really as we won't rush back and the location of the Chineham Arms probably means that it relies on local residents for its evening trade.

2  Thank Peter B