“Gave it a try, won't go back”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Chineham Indian Cuisine
Ranked #39 of 255 Restaurants in Basingstoke
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti, Eastern European
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Surrey
“Gave it a try, won't go back”
Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

We visited this restaurant on a Friday evening - have been meaning to go for a while as it is local and we went on our bikes. I made a booking for 7.15pm as it is quite small, but when we got there, there was no table ready for us and no sign of our booking! Not a great start.
The place itself is hideously dated and tired. Artex everywhere, red flowery carpets and tables packed in to maximum capacity. Despite this, it was almost full and customers seemed strangely content...It was like an episode of The Sweeney.
Unlike other reviewers, I didn't find the service rude - in fact our waiter was super friendly and helpful. However, that is the end of the positive comments.
The food was not even as good as average, and although we ate it, it wasn't tasty at all. (Ok so the naan bread was ok but it's hard to get that wrong!)
The prices were relatively cheap for ordinary dishes...but I would rather pay a bit more for better food. Our bill was £50 for 2 starters, 2 mains and 4 Cobras.
Finally, the toilets were grim. As you leave, they hand you 4 chocolates and a rose in a plastic wrapper, but even that doesn't make up for the overall badness.
Sorry, but we won't go back.

1 Thank ScaryCanary

United Kingdom
“Not amazing but good food!”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

The only reason we found them was because when mum and dad were dating they used go to this restaurant (don't think it's been decorated since then too!)
It's a lovely lil family run restaurant but you have to remember, you are going for the home cooked food! The food is amazing! But there's a few things:
They go write the checks in Indian! So be careful don't be afraid to get the to translate! You might save your self a few penny's! (they have over charged us! I was not happy.)
They are not he best at customer serivce, they are very blunt. And rarely smile.

But the food is beautiful. It's so full flavour, cooked to perfection.
Remember home cooked food!

• Visited December 2012
London, United Kingdom
“New years eve”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We went on new years eve and I fully understand it was busy.
As I walked in it felt like I was walking in somebody's living room, it was ridiculously cramped and when we had said we had reserved a table they looked at me and said, no sorry you will have to wait until there is space, once we finally did get a table loads of people came in saying they had booked to, so it seems they thought they could get away with accepting everybody that came in that night, it didn't work people got fed up of standing over everybody's tables and left.

Anyway on to the food;
They were very rude, the old guys that is but they seemed to be always shouted at by the big boss. They took our drink order, I ordered a pint of coke looked over to the bar and the lady just got out a big 2 litre bottle of coke opened it up and poured in into my glass and charged me £4...safe to say I was gob smacked. Nothing wrong with it coming from the bottle if they were charging something like £1.50.
It then took them another 30-45mins to take our food order.
When it came out after about an hour it wasn't to pleasant to say the least.
Once we had got our bill we had been in there for 3 hours! 3 hours of my life I wont be getting back. The bill was all in Indian so therefore we didn't understand what it meant. Once we realised we had been over charged we had to get one of the waiters to read it which item was what.
Not the best experience.

• Visited December 2012
Basingstoke
“Very good Indian food, good service and handy parking”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I've been enjoying very good Indian meals here since it opened (I guess around 15 years ago ?). The building itself is simple and unpretentious but it is always clean and the tables nicely laid. We have always been very pleased with the service in all those years and the manager always remembers us and comes over for a friendly and respectful chat. It is excellent to be able to park right outside with plenty of spaces. Tonight (1st Jan 2013) we had a home delivery and all the food was again very good indeed. We recommend it.

• Visited January 2013
“Poor quality of food. Untidy premises. Abrupt service.”
Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

Having used the Chineham cuisine Indian for the past few years it is very disappointing that the food on the last several occasions has been extremely poor. The lamb Rogan josh was chewy and the chicken dish was dry. Having complained they appologised but didn't seem to care or take any action.

1 Thank mycallstanforward