“Disgusting”

The Hatch
Ranked #45 of 255 Restaurants in Basingstoke
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Grill, Gastropub
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
New South Wales, Australia
“Disgusting”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Awful.
I have eaten twice now in the Hatch Basingstoke. Never again.
The food is over-priced, tasteless and re-heated rubbish.
On my first visit, 6 months ago, I tried the risotto and sea bass. The person who re-heats (they cant possibly have a “chef”) clearly doesn’t know what risotto is, as the rice was dry, loose and flavourless. The sea bass was laughable, having been re-cooked so many times, it was 2mm thick, chewy and tasteless.
On a friends invitation I ventured there again last night, this time ordering the Brewers chicken. What arrived did not resemble the picture on the website, at all. What I got was an over-cooked, dry, tasteless, piece of chicken, with fatty bacon and topped with congealed cheese. Clearly no cookery skills were needed to microwave this dish and serve. And standards haven’t improved.
I am not surprised that the pub restaurant was very quiet, I am however surprised by their website advertising, claiming “Our pub restaurants take pride in delivering freshly cooked seasonal dishes”and “our chefs love food”

Awful

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Kirstie E

Reading, United Kingdom
“Not Bad”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Were slightly worried about eating here following some of the previous reviews however the food was not bad at all. It is at the expected quality of the chef and brewer chains (Not top quality but better then Harvester). Service was excellent and the atmosphere inviting. We particularly enjoyed participating in the pub quiz as well.

My only minor negative would be that the battered cod was very peppery, could do with less seasoning next time!

• Visited February 2013
Old Basing, United Kingdom
“Constant disappointment”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We have been to the Chef and Brewer run pub many times, however I do not know why we have to punish ourselves time after time, perhaps it's because it is very close where we live.
After three previous visits and disappointments we thought that we would give them one more opportunity to redeem themselves. Unfortunately the experience was predictably awful and we have now decided that the embarrassment and frustration will not allow us to visit this establishment again.

We ordered the most basic and simple dish on the menu with the thought at the back of our mind that they really did not need a chef to cook this dish. We ordered scampi and chips with peas, when the food arrived at the table it did not come with the advertised chips but thin under cooked French fries. When asking Kelly the Duty assistant manager to explain, all we received was the excuse that they had not received the full order that day and that they are still chips. This was the straw that broke the camels back and not the first time we have had cause to make complaint about the service, quality of food being poor, food arriving cold. On departing I was shocked to hear Kelly muttering under her breath, when I challenged her she acted like a child and simply said nothing.

If you are looking to use a Ched and Brewer in the Basingstoke area I would recommend the one at North Waltham.

It is evident that the management of the Hatch in Old Basing have a lot to learn about quality of service and customer service. I did not pay for the meal.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Chris E
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at The Hatch, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear Chris E
Thank for taking the time to provide us with your review.

I would like to apologise for the food you have received at the Hatch previously. I have passed on your comments to our management team and have sent you a direct message to discuss this further.

Kind regards

Chef & Brewer.
“Nice food service could be better.”
Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

Visited here a few months ago. On arrival no one was there to seat us. After a few mins someone turned up and seated us. We waited 25 minutes for our drinks but it was busy so we tolerated it. Food took an hour but was worth it as it was delicious. They apologized at the end and explained they were busy. Over all a good experience and will return.

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“Great Food Gastropub”
Reviewed November 22, 2012

In winter season they offer very nice local game fare, including venison steaks, partridge etc. Highly recommended. Lots of real ales on tap and even better when it gets cold, sitting by one of their log fires.

Visited November 2012