“Great Food Gastropub”

Cuisines: British, Bar, Gastropub, Grill
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed November 22, 2012

In winter season they offer very nice local game fare, including venison steaks, partridge etc. Highly recommended. Lots of real ales on tap and even better when it gets cold, sitting by one of their log fires.

Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

I'm local and enjoy using the Hatch with my family when the food is good. Unfortunately the food at the moment is the worst I've tasted in seven. Choice and price is good but you will be disappointed with quality. Will regrettable not return.

1  Thank mycallstanforward
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Went to the Hatch today to have a late lunch. The place was quite busy. We stood around waiting to be seated and no one came to greet us. We were ignored by 3 staff members. I can understand that they were busy, but a simple greeting saying that someone would be with us soon would suffice. So we left and went elsewheres, we chose The Gamekeepers in Mappledurwell and I am very glad we did.

1  Thank OceanMyst
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at The Hatch, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Dear OceanMyst,

Thank you for providing your review, we are sorry to hear of the issues you received whilst trying to visit the Hatch, we have passed your comments onto our management team to support improving the service at the pub.

Regards
Chef & Brewer

Reviewed November 11, 2012

We booked a birthday meal for my boyfriend following a recommendation from a friend. All I can say is that I hope our experience was just a 'bad night' for the pub.
Our table was booked for 7:00pm and the restaurant wasn't even half full, but they had run out of starters. This wasn't a huge problem, but when our alternative starters did arrive, they were ridiculous portions - 2 lovely big chunks of pate with 2 tiny triangles of bread to accompany them and 2 cold, small chunks of chicken to pass for satay. We complained to the waiter, who was very helpful and sent the chicken back for us (I can cope with small portions but simply won't put up with cold food!). He promised more bread for the pate, but this never arrived. Nor did the manager, who said he wanted to resolve the problem with us.
Our main courses were reasonably OK. I was very impressed with the shin of beef, until I ate a potato which was wrinkled and had a tough and crumbly texture - as though it had been reheated.
The steaks were also OK, but the chef had little idea of how to cook them as asked (well done is his/her idea of rare...)
Desserts were a far more pleasant experience, although I suspect this is because little cooking is required to prepare them (clearly not home made and being charged at £5.00 a pop!)
We sat without a waiter to refill our drinks for over an hour (the staff - around 6 of them - were gathered at a table in the pub, enjoying themselves) and when they came to take away our 'cups', we requested refills. The waitress responded by saying she thought the bar might be closed, until we pointed out that at half past 10 this was ridiculous and she sloped off to reluctantly fill them. I suspect the staff were waiting for us to leave, as we were the only remaining customers. When we questioned why the music (which was not loud, and only served as ambiance) had been turned off, we were told that the manager had confiscated the CD player as his children needed to sleep!
Generally, I like to post positive reviews on tripadvisor and if you look at my previous reviews, they are by and large very positive. However, I was so cross at having to part with around £250 to this pub, I felt it needed to be said publicly. Whilst we had no complaints about the surroundings, the drinks and the company, the food and service requires major attention.

1  Thank Julron
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We have been here a number of times usually quite good . Last visit to be honest was pretty poor did not have a number of things on the menu and what we got was only average, not the cheapest or the best around. Try elsewhere