“What a fabulous pub!”

Ranked #15 of 265 Restaurants in Basingstoke
Cuisines: Caribbean
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Fox is an attractive Fullers pub on the edge of the village of Oakley near Basingstoke. It has lovely views across the Hampshire countryside. There is a large car park and a HUGE family garden with childrens' climbing frame, swings and slides as well as a separate garden area. There are 4 areas in the pub - The Den, which is mainly used for dining, the main bar, the pool/games room and the function room. We have a skittle alley, a pool table and various board games/cards available. We also have a 130ft well inside the pub!! We serve a mixture of Caribbean and European food, which is very reasonably priced, Fullers real ales (London Pride, HSB and a seasonal ale) an extensive wine list and full bar. Our large function room, with direct access to the garden is used regularly for parties, wedding receptions, wakes, business meetings and skittles evenings. We have regular events including live music, a monthly Caribbean buffet, a monthly Thai buffet, a music quiz, Family Fun Days and Fox Cubs, our weekly Wednesday morning stay 'n play group for pre-schoolers. There's always something going on at The Fox and you can be sure of a warm welcome from Buddy, Kate and the team!
Reviewed March 31, 2017

I wish I lived closer to this pub! We stumbled across it on our way home from the west country. It just looks great - like a 'proper' pub but not an old boozer, with a wonderful tucked away garden and a smokers area set in a sunny spot away from the wind. The barmaid was friendly and efficient. We only had drinks but the food looks great. A winning formula.

Reviewed March 29, 2017

We were abroad so have not visited for a while but Buddy welcomed us and provided the great service we have always had. He organised several mouth watering dishes so that our friends who hadn't been before could try. A super evening was had by all. We will certainly be visiting again soon.
Highly recommended.

Reviewed March 2, 2017

At last found a pub that's thought about it and got it! If I were a local this would be my local and a place I'd regularly return to. It's thought about what it wants and has areas to sit to suit all, a nice cosy area with sofas, coffee tables and a TV, a cost sport with tables side the fire and a more of a dedicated area for dining if wanted. The look is really well done with quirky signs, pictures and things to read and stimulate. The background music was relaxing with a perfect blend of bluesy, jazz and chill. The food was really well presented and tasted excellent. The beer - London Pride - was really good. Like I say this pub created a great feel, looked good, food tasted good, drink went down well, ticked all the right boxes for the senses. Comfortable and cosy. One thing to improve, the fire was roaring at lunchtime but it was a bit chilly... pump up the heat and its done. Loved it.

My usual scores are 5* My favourite places in the world 4* Awesome. Love it. 3* Good. 2* Average. 1* Poor.

For me very nearly a 5*... but a 4* and a TripAdvisor rating of also a 4*. Loved it thank you.

UkBuddy, Manager at The Fox Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2017

Dear Simonlala

Thank you for your review. We were all very pleased to read it as it was such a compliment to all our hard work.

Thank you once again and we hope to see you again very soon. Buddy

Reviewed January 27, 2017

I as staying up the road for work but opted to eat here as the menu looked much more appealing that where I was staying.

It was a Wednesday night and early on so it was very quiet. The young guy that was serving was really lovely. When i'm away for work I always have to eat out on my own and i'm still getting used to this! It's always more welcoming when the staff are so friendly. I opted for a king prawn red curry, this was really lovely, not spicy enough for my taste but really good none the less. I had a sticky toffee pudding for dessert which I couldn't quite finish but it was really tasty!

UkBuddy, Owner at The Fox Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2017

Dear Roxy

Thank you for your kind review. I remembered you well as I was sitting in the pub when you came in with a book and was seated in the Fox den by Chris our new barman, to whom I shall pass on you kind comments. He has only been with us for 3 weeks but has already made an impact not only on the bar but with the music nights he organises here.

I am pleased you enjoyed you visit and may I say the next time you are in Basingstoke, do give me a call so I can arrange for you to have Buddy's Jerk chicken which I think will provide the level of spice you love.

Thank you once again for visiting the Fox and hope to see you again soon. Buddy Love

Reviewed January 23, 2017

We went to the Fox for Sunday roast as we where going to the Anvil at Basingstoke. There was not many cars in the park at 1pm not good sign for a Sunday when we went in there was not any one eating plenty of room but there put us opposite front door as it was a very cold day we had a draft every time door was open when food arrived it did not look very big only about 3 pieces lamb the sweet was even smaller but the beer & wine was very good

UkBuddy, General Manager at The Fox Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2017

Dear Pinnock

After reading you review, I was genuinely concerned that one of staff had asked you to sit by the door on a very cold Sunday afternoon, so I quickly had a look at the CCTV before making assumptions and realised that one of my team had sat you on table 12, which is away from the door, in the main pub and by the radiator which was on at the time. However had you felt a slight draft from where you were sitting all you had to do was asked to me moved, my team would have had no problem with such a request especially as we also had the fire on the at time and there was a table right next to it available.

With regards the concern of our empty car park, we had a very busy Friday night, fantastic Saturday where we catered for two functions as was preparing for our Sunday night Live Lounge music. To be quite honest, we all were grateful for this one Sunday when we weren't as busy as we normally are. It gave us all a little time to catch up.

I am pleased you enjoyed the wine and beer, thank you. Our, Main meals and desserts are standard and very far removed from michelin size portions. However if you wanted an extra scoop of ice cream for example, or extra potatoes, again all you had to do was ask. This would have been helpful to us both as had you communicated on the day with my staff you would have been moved and had larger portions of lunch, thus leaving us a positive review. Win / win. We are fortunate to have the gift of speech and it really works when we actually take the time to engage and use it. I do regret your experience in our pub but everything you mentioned could have easily been resolved on the spot. Best regards Buddy