“Excellent food Shane about the ambience!!”
Review of Masala Mogul - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Masala Mogul
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: An Indian Restaurant presenting truly authentic cuisine from the regions of India. Newly discovered rustic dishes ranging from Goa and Tamil Nadu to the North and East Bengal, through to Assam and Bangladesh. Please peruse the menu from our website.
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Fabulous food it all taste different and is consistent unlike the Spice down Pack Lane, Shane it's too brightly lit to sit in and no authentic Indian music, however we have had 5 takeaways and they have all been 5*

Thank paul.ebsworth
Abssar W, General Manager at Masala Mogul, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

Hello,

Thank you for writing this review. It's great to know that you appreciate the quality of our food. We appreciate your feedback and will act on these to improve the ambience at Masala Mogul.
Hope to see you soon again.

Best Regards,

Abssar & Team Masala Mogul

Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

Fancied a change in Basingstoke one day, and wanted to try somewhere new. Read review of trip advisor and thought we would give it a go.
We were not disappointed.
Warm and friendly greeting, knowledgeable waiters.
Great menu. Has some special dishes as well as the classics. Tasty good which is NOT swimming in grease as so many others do. All freshly cooked.

I had the Naga chicken and wasn't disappointed.

Only thing I would suggest is that the starters are about £1 more than you would expect, but worth it as they are so fresh.

Look past the outside amd dont be put off given that It is located next door to a pub.

A hidden gem, I will be dining again, and am going to try their other restaurant by Bramley station a few miles away sometime in October with some friends.

2  Thank Shant K
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Having found this place via Tripadvisor - we decided to give it a try. As visitors to Basingstoke, we set the address in our satnav and headed off there. It's in part of a neighbourhood pub - I wasn't sure that we were in the right place until I saw the signs and the entrance door.

We were received a warm welcome, and were given the menu. It's a pretty typical Indian menu with a few interesting special dishes. So it was poppadoms, starters & mains. I had the Achari Lamb - it was very nice and tender. The portions were pretty good and the prices were fairly typical. - the bill was approx £25/head with drinks.

Apparently the restaurant is in the former games room of the pub - you can't see where the dartboard used to be, but we could hear the karaoke from the bar next door!

1  Thank PicnMix_UK
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Having read the great reviews i thought i would try this new restaurant a try. Apart from the nice welcome i dont really have mush to say. The food dishes had fancy names but tasted very similar ( maybe they were a bit busy with no more than 3-4 tables on a Saturday) . food was standard nothing to shout about really. liked the fact they are Trying so Hard! at this point in time i would think again if you are a big party as the service was quite slow.

3  Thank n a
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We dined here last Friday having seen favourable reviews on TA, I wasn't sure if the reviews were made up as there were so many first time reviewers (the irony in that this is also my first review) . Having seen and read the reviews we though we would give it a try. locating the restaurant was no easy task given we rarely travel to that part of town and when we did find the Pub it's attached to I wasn't sure this was such a good idea....how wrong could I be! the warm welcome from the waiter Sam and also a visit to the table by the owner made us feel extremely welcome- we hoped the food would not let us down.

the menu has many of the typical house fanvorites you expect at a Bengladeshi restaurant but there were so many dishes I had never heard of or was certainly not expecting. we ordered the lamb chops and the garlic prawns to start. the lamb was moist, tender and flavoursome not overlooked and dry like most indian restaurants in the area. I would rate the chops a 7 out of ten. The prawns were also good, not as tasty as the lamb chops but good. A 6 out of ten.

on to the main meal: We ordered railway lamb and the chicken chetinad and also a chicken tikka masala. The railway lamb was a revelation actually one of the best lamb dishes I've had- it's comes with potatoes and the lamb was on the bone- incredible flavours. I would give this a 8.5 out of 10. If you eat here and you like lamb order this- the lamb was soft and you could taste the flavour of the lamb through the mix of spices. Tasted home made.

The chicken chetinad had the right amount of pepper flavour and the chicken tikka masala was also just as good - although perhaps just a touch too red in colour- chetinad = 7.5 out of ten and masala = 7 out of ten.

I look forward to going back and dining there again and would say this is the best indian restaurant in Basingstoke by far.

you may think the my ratings are harsh- but you have to consider I've eaten at more indian restaurants than most people and also cook this food at home but this is the only indian restaurant I would eat out at in Basingstoke - it's very very good.

If I had to give negatives-
Prices are high for what I am used to paying at others, two starters, 3 mains, popadoms, nan, roti, 4 pints came to £100 inc tip- for 2 people.

Ambience/ location-the surroundings are not in keeping with the prices and its out of the way for most people- food of this quality and of these prices I would expect to see in an upmarket indian restaurant. However the food is first class- you will not get better tasting food nearby- certainly not lamb dishes and the services excellent- they really make you feel at home.

overall a great place for the food.