“Railway Lamb a must!”

Add it.
Masala Mogul
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: An Indian Restaurant presenting truly authentic cuisine from the regions of India. Newly discovered rustic dishes ranging from Goa and Tamil Nadu to the North and East Bengal, through to Assam and Bangladesh. Please peruse the menu from our website.
London, United Kingdom
“Railway Lamb a must!”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We dined here last Friday having seen favourable reviews on TA, I wasn't sure if the reviews were made up as there were so many first time reviewers (the irony in that this is also my first review) . Having seen and read the reviews we though we would give it a try. locating the restaurant was no easy task given we rarely travel to that part of town and when we did find the Pub it's attached to I wasn't sure this was such a good idea....how wrong could I be! the warm welcome from the waiter Sam and also a visit to the table by the owner made us feel extremely welcome- we hoped the food would not let us down.

the menu has many of the typical house fanvorites you expect at a Bengladeshi restaurant but there were so many dishes I had never heard of or was certainly not expecting. we ordered the lamb chops and the garlic prawns to start. the lamb was moist, tender and flavoursome not overlooked and dry like most indian restaurants in the area. I would rate the chops a 7 out of ten. The prawns were also good, not as tasty as the lamb chops but good. A 6 out of ten.

on to the main meal: We ordered railway lamb and the chicken chetinad and also a chicken tikka masala. The railway lamb was a revelation actually one of the best lamb dishes I've had- it's comes with potatoes and the lamb was on the bone- incredible flavours. I would give this a 8.5 out of 10. If you eat here and you like lamb order this- the lamb was soft and you could taste the flavour of the lamb through the mix of spices. Tasted home made.

The chicken chetinad had the right amount of pepper flavour and the chicken tikka masala was also just as good - although perhaps just a touch too red in colour- chetinad = 7.5 out of ten and masala = 7 out of ten.

I look forward to going back and dining there again and would say this is the best indian restaurant in Basingstoke by far.

you may think the my ratings are harsh- but you have to consider I've eaten at more indian restaurants than most people and also cook this food at home but this is the only indian restaurant I would eat out at in Basingstoke - it's very very good.

If I had to give negatives-
Prices are high for what I am used to paying at others, two starters, 3 mains, popadoms, nan, roti, 4 pints came to £100 inc tip- for 2 people.

Ambience/ location-the surroundings are not in keeping with the prices and its out of the way for most people- food of this quality and of these prices I would expect to see in an upmarket indian restaurant. However the food is first class- you will not get better tasting food nearby- certainly not lamb dishes and the services excellent- they really make you feel at home.

overall a great place for the food.

Basingstoke
“The best Indian Restaurant in town”
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

We have tried many Indian restaurants in the area over the years and stumbled across the Masala Mogul on Trip Advisor so thought we would go nod see if it lived up to the reviews. We were really impressed on our first visit by the friendliness of the team, and Raj in particular looked after our group of 6 really well. The food was fantastic, with great specials that are not to be found on any other menu, we all chose a different dish and every one of them was great.

Subsequently we have ordered a home delivery and been back to eat and both times have found the standard of food to be really high, tasty, fresh, not greasy or heavy, well presented, flavourful. Don't be put off by the fact that the Restaurant is located behind a pub in Winklebury, it really is a gem and we will be there again soon.

Visited August 2013
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“Superb”
Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

Tried here after seeing reviews on TripAdvisor and was not disappointed, had murg 65 and railway curry both great, otherhalf had onion bahjee and chicken sashlic again fantastic she was particularly impressed with the bahjee's being they were small, light and not greasy I would recommend masala mogul with definitely be back

• Visited August 2013
“Worthy of their reviews;)”
Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

The best Vindaloo I've had in a Basingstoke Indian Curry House. Staff were very friendly and incredibly accommodating. We went based on the reviews we had read so it had a lot to live up too and didn't disappoint;)

Brussels, Belgium
“Very good food”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

The food was very good. The restaurant's location is a bit out of the center. The good point of that is that parking is easy. The ambiance was a bit low beacause there were only 2 tables (on a Saturday night).