“Too many Gubbys”

Premier Inn Basingstoke West (Churchill Way) Hotel
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Basingstoke
Reviewed November 5, 2013

It is axiomatic that old hotel chains need to evolve lest they become hospitality dinosaurs. The issue is how. Clearly, this is a conudrum which has befallen the Basingstoke Premier Inn, the answer to which has so far eluded the men in suits who run this establishment.

Now my taste in hotels may date back to the days before I was born, but my expectations as to the quality of such places and the services they offer is totally au courant. I regret to say that this establishment's approach to providing a welcoming and comfortable environment to their patrons is unimaginative and moribund. My propitious suggestion for instance, which I made to a number of the cleaning staff, that they ought to spend more time cleaning the windows and other surfaces was met with a most miserly response. It was almost as if they thought I was being deliberately outré.

I sought to counter thissought to counter this problem by opting for a jauntily jocose tone when complaining to the manager, but he too seemed bewildered by the surfeit of complaints I leveled at him. I can only conclude that the majority of the employees were utterly feckless, and seemed totally disinclined to respond to my complaints regarding the lack of flat screen televisions and the size of the bathroom at my disposal.

Worst of all, and I feel it would be far from nugatory to elide this detail, the majority of the other partons at the hotel can only be described as utterly Gubby, By which I mean, not only are the majority of the other persons staying at the hotel devoid of any chrysostomatic ability, but they are positively noisome. You may think that I am being orotund, but I am not. Avoid this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Reginald D
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Basingstoke West (Churchill Way) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. It really matters to us that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay. We sincerely apologise that on this occasion our hotel fell far short of your expectations. Your feedback is very much appreciated as it enables us to improve standards. Please be assured that the issues raised will be fully investigated. Thank you once again for your review.

There are newer reviews for Premier Inn Basingstoke West (Churchill Way) Hotel

Reviewed November 1, 2013

Have stayed here before. Rooms are clean and nice. Staff are helpful.
Experienced a little noise because we had the window open and it was a very windy night.
Beefeater Inn was a little slow for diner and breakfast but it was very busy.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 30, 2013

We stayed here on a Saturday night and found it to be of a sound Premier Inn standards. Room was clean and comfortable, car parking was ample and free and the attached Beefeater restaurant was good for a quick meal. It is located a bit outside of Basingstoke but is only a few moments away by car. There is a McDonalds and KFC and multi-screen cinema within easy walking distance.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We stayed at the premier inn for one night for a family function, unfortunately the heating had packed up, the receptionist tried fresh batteries in the remote control but this failed to get the heating working, as the place was full we couldn't be offered a alternative room. we were offered an extra duvet but this didn't stop us waking up in a cold room.
The bathroom had a dirty/broken toilet hinge and the body wash dispenser was broken, BUT the staff we very helpful and friendly at all times and true to Premier inns good nights sleep guarantee we were given a full refund, so Premier inn, get some maintenance staff, stop relying on the reception staff to apologise to customers and then premier inns might be premier, after all Lenny Henry didn't have any problems during his stay

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Just a quick and brief write up ..............I was given a room with no electric, there was no maintenance person on duty as it was a Saturday, I was advised by the cleaners they had another room with no electric and suggested it could be the fuse box which was located near the ceiling so I flicked the switches up and down and the electric came on, I was only in the room about an hour before i had to leave i reported it to reception and was told if it goes off again I could be moved, it was still okay at tea time I only freshen before going out for the night on returning at 3am the electric was off, so i stood on a chair in the darkness of the cold room and stumbled and fell banging my face on the corner of the bed and broke my front tooth crown! it has all been reported and I have submitted a complaint letter to the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

We stopped here this weekend, lovely staff.. Reception were lovely and so were Connor and Matt in the spruce goose beefeater attached. Breakfast was really good. I would say this was the best premier inn I have stopped in actually. Thank you!!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I stayed here with 2 of my children for one night in a family room, which was a bargain £35 for the night. This hotel is well situated on the Basingstoke Leisure Park, which has an aquadrome (leisure centre with flumes), ice skating rink, bowling alley, cinema, living history museum, indoor skydiving centre, bingo hall and restaurants (Little Frankie's, McDonalds, KFC and Costa).

We had a somewhat disappointing meal in Little Frankie's; appalling presentation, inedible steak, but the kids meals were reasonable and the service was friendly. Breakfast for all 3 of us in the Beefeater nextdoor was only £8 as kids eat free, and after a slow start with the service, the buffet food was plentiful and cooked breakfast very good. Can't fault it for that price!

Premier Inn reception staff were friendly and helpful, and the room was spotless. The family room setup comprises a large double bed, a single bed, and a camp bed single. If you have 3 children, you could probably squeeze in another camp bed on request. The room looked a little tatty around some of the fixings (eg in the bathroom) but at under £45 for 3 of us to stay overnight to enjoy the leisure park, it was cheaper to stay than to drive home and back! Recommended for a bargain family break.

Room Tip: Keep an eye on the PI website and sign up for their newsletter to be notified of cheap deals on fami...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family