“Mixed bag”

Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Basingstoke
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Mixed bag”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I stayed at this hotel with my sister and 2 friends for part of my birthday celebrations. We booked a spa deal for £99 each, overnight stay, dinner, breakfast , use of spa facilities and a choice of a 25 minute treatment.
The hotel Itself was very clean, the rooms were plenty big enough for one night and 2 sharing. There was a bath and a separate shower, which was very powerful. The bed and the bedding were comfortable.
The restaurants and bar areas were roomy and pleasant and the food was excellent and plentiful.
The Jacuzzi in the spa area was lovely and almost felt as if you were being massaged. Overall £99 is an exceptionally great deal for what you get, if you choose to stay here but I do have to make a few pointers.
I rang 2 weeks ago to confirm my reservation. I was told only 1 twin room was booked, when in fact we had booked 2 . It did eventually get sorted but left me feeling a little unconfident.

The bar prices were ridiculous . My sister ordered a large Rose and it was 5p short of £8 !!!!!!

I did feel the hotel could do with some modernisation and the other than the Jacuzzi, the spa area was disappointing.
The pool looked far bigger than the photos shown online. There were very few chairs and no loungers, so to sit and chill or read by the pool isn't really an option.
We were also unlucky as there was a bunch of young chaps larking around and being very noisy, overtaking the pool. I am in no way opposed to fun but it was hardly the tranquillity we had hoped for. In the evening my partner, unbeknown to me had rang and ordered a bottle of (quite costly) champagne for me, as a surprise, but when we waited to be seated we were asked if we had paid for a bottle of champagne as it was written down next to my room number, there was slight confusion and it kind of spoiled the surprise of arriving at the table to see it there as my partner had requested.
Our rooms were on the 2nd floor and in honesty it was noisy, I could hear someone using the toilet in the next room as they could no doubt hear us. We were woken up 7.30am by doors banging and lots of shouting.
The rooms are really not soundproof and we could hear allsorts. I do have to say in fairness that we did visit on a very busy weekend so maybe we were just unfortunate in our timing.
Overall, the price we paid was very good value and my friends and I did enjoy our stay but as a frequent visitor to a spa hotel, I do have question the 4 star grading and I think there is definitely room for improvements.
I am afraid we wont be returning and unfortunately we wont be recommending.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Polish first
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights with a friend and had an absolutely wonderful time. The hotel was exceptionally clean, well presented and decorated to a high standard throughout. Our room was very comfortable with complimentary toiletries, tea coffee and an iron and hairdryer. Staff couldn't have been more helpful from the moment we arrived, the Spa staff were professional, friendly and went the extra mile to ensure my treatments were enjoyed to the full. The food was amazing, we ate in both restaurants and also had a lunch in the library bar, and buffet breakfast. All meals were of an excellent standard, freshly cooked and served by a well trained team, nothing was too much trouble!!! My only criticism was that the bar prices are expensive for what was served and there were no cheaper options such as a house wine. Lunch was included in the Spa package which we purchased, but unfortunately this did not include a drink. I would definitely return to this hotel and would be happy to recommend to friends.

1 Thank Jackie D
dorset
Reviewed June 21, 2013

if i had read some of the reviews on here before i had booked i wouldnt have gone and would have missed a wonderful break. The hotel was all my friend and i could have wished for, clean, comfortable, lovely room, staff that couldnt do enough for us both in the hotel and the spa, the food was wonderful and decor certainly not shabby as someone said on here. and not a hint of anything microwaved everything fresh and we had breakfasts to die for both mornings. The only comment i would agree with is the bar prices, they were very expensive so take your own wine for your room, we would have bought a few bottles if they were more reasonably priced a house wine for £12 to £16 is acceptable we paid £23 for a bottle with our dinner!! and that was one of the cheapest selections. the only other comment was as lunch was included on our day after arrival, the sandwiches were lovely and a excellent selection to choose from, we were shocked to find out a drink was not included, as we had breakfast with unlimited tea/coffee and a lunch and 3 course meal both evenings provided we cant understand why a tea /coffee wasn't offered as well as part of the lunch if i had been invited for lunch somewhere i would expect a sandwich and tea/coffee, However we will definatly be returning and we had a wonderful time we will also recommend the Apollo to anyone wanting to be spoiled, pampered and have a lovely break in a lovely hotel, Thank you to all the staff ecpecially Karen in the spa for the massage, facial and pedicure....heaven. looking forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: we were on the fourth floor, very quiet.
2 Thank DorsetMaria
Canvey Island, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Mixed previous stays but they have not disappointed the last 3 times.

Good value for money. Better than average gym for a hotel in this area.

Always get a double bed rather than twins which helps.

Vikki Lear is a stand out member of staff.

Jason Eaton

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Blackburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I have stayed at the Apollo hotel since July 2012 until May 2013.,it has to be one of Basingstokes finest.
from the moment i arrived the staff could not do enough for me. ok some of the rooms are a bit small but if your staying alone they are adequate. some of the reviews are based on a coupe of days stay and sometimes they may have a bad experience.
whilst staying here i managed to stay in various different rooms.
the rooms in general are very comfortable and clean, great pool and gym facillities on site with no additional charge.
what makes this hotel stand out from the rest around here is the staff, from the ladies on reception to the bar staff and restaurant they were so friendly and welcoming at all times. special mentions go out to zolsts the bar manager and kim the reception manager,they go over and above their duties to help you. food at the bar and in the restaurant are excellent value for money.
overall i would recommend this hotel to anyone.
Thanks for a very comfortable stay. Abs.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Abdul M
UK
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I stayed here with my grandson and we had a wonderful time. The staff were excellent, the room was clean and well decorated, the pool was an a great way for us to relax after a busy day in London. The food and dining room were faultless. I'd recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: we were in room 201 which overlooked the garden at the rear of the hotel, great for watching the wil...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We stayed here for 1 night in june. The hotel looked better on the inside that the out, the rooms were however very small especially the bathroom, which was a very tight squeeze. The bed was fairly comfortable however being used to a king, was very small and so difficult to get a good night sleep. Staff were friendly enough on reception. But over attentive in the restaurant. Breakfast prices are confusing. Advertised as £15.95 conformation email said £10.50 but we were charged £9.95. Breakfast selection was OK but the quality of the food let it down. as well as the sausages which were slightly pink on the inside - NOT GOOD!

We were a bit annoyed that room service trays had been left in the hall with old food on them from the time we arrived (4pm) till at least 2am!

to be honest as a bed for the night it wasn't too bad although if you walk in and have to pay £110+ for a room I would go to the holiday inn!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple