“Spa Treatments were good but”

Apollo Hotel Basingstoke
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Basingstoke
Reviewed July 16, 2011

The hotel should not be rated 4* as it reminded me of a cheap motel stop. The hotel staff were friendly and checked us in quite quickly. The room was very basic, smelt very musty but was clean. Our room overlooked the car park, so we had our curtains closed permanently. The bathroom was tired and in need of refurbishment. The plumbing work made so much noise when you turned the sink tap on, the shower OR used the toilet.. There was mould around the shower and the hand sink collected so much water when you used it because you could not unplug the plug properly - this also made a terrible gurling noise when the water eventually started to drain out. The walls were thin and could hear the people in the other room talking and also using the toilet. What made up for this stay was the evening meal in the Vespers room - we had a 3 course meal which was superb from beginning to end and the service was great!! The breakfast was a big disappointment - it was buffet style traditional english breakfast or continental. The food was greasy and presented terribly.

The SPA TREATMENT - firstly this should not be advertised as a place to go for a spa break as it consisted of 2 treament rooms. To get to the treament rooms we had to walk pass the bar area and then go up some stairs to the gym, which we had to walk through to get to the treatment room. This can be a bit uncomfortable for people who do not want to stand out in a room where everyone is exercising and you are wearing a dressing gown and slippers. The staff who did the treament were very nice and friendly which also made up for the stay in the hotel.

The swimming pool was ok - looks nicer in the pictures on the website. The smell of chlorine was so strong my eyes were burning and I also felt sick. The pool was a bit rusty around the edges and on a closer look it made me feel comfortable using it.

It was an experience which I would not repeat again at the hotel but thank you to the girls who did the treatment.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed July 6, 2011

We stayed in this hotel as part of an event we needed to attend in the area and the hotel was well located in terms of driving from London.
We were quickly checked in by the front desk staff and even though we've arrived early, they've found a room for us that was ready.

The hotel décor is a little outdated and we haven't had the time to visit the spa and or the pool. I recommend to use web to get a good room deal, otherwise the rooms are on the expensive side.

We stayed in a superior room which was a good size but not huge. The bathroom was ok as well, however the interior and the bathroom seemed a little outdated. Don't expect a view from the room, we were looking at the car park and the motorway beyond.
The room walls are thin, but the bed was comfortable.
Overall, this hotel is good if you are looking for a hotel to stay overnight in the area but I would not recommend it for a special weekend for a couple.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank zendon
Reviewed June 22, 2011

This hotel is rated 4* but I would only rate it 3* the staff are friendy and helpful, but the Decor and furniture is so outdated.
the evening meal was what I would expect from a staff canteen but the breakfast made up for a poor evening meal.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Rick01068
Reviewed June 17, 2011

We celebrated our 25th Anniversary at the Apollo Hotel by hosting a private lunch for 36, followed by a party back at our house. 33 of our guests (including us) stayed overnight at the Apollo, and all their comments about the Apollo were good!

The rooms are modern and well appointed, and as it was a Bank Holiday, the online rates were excellent value. Breakfast was in the pleasant and bright Brasserie, and offered all the usual full English buffet offerings.

The private lunch in particular was excellent - great quality food, beautifully cooked ,with an unusual (delicious) starter of poached salmon, wrapped in smoked salmon, set on a tomato coulis, followed by roast sirloin of beef with all the trimmings and then Baileys cheesecake. Everyone commented on the quality, quantity and taste of the food - so a huge success.

If I had a gripe, it is that everyone commented that the drinks in the main bar are very expensive, although I felt the wine I ordered for our lunch by the bottle was reasonably priced.

Many of my guests enjoyed the lovely pool and sauna rooms etc

The staff in particular were outstanding, attentive, efficient and very personable, making it a wonderul anniversary for us. The private dining room was laid out exactly as I had requested - nothing was too much trouble.

I would not hesitate in recommending the Apollo for a function or overnight stay, or one of their evening functions.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 17, 2011

We booked the Apollo because it was conveniently located to the hospital - we were visiting a relative for 3 days. To be honest we weren't expecting much but the hotel was so much more than we had hoped for. This was in no small part down to the staff who were all helpful, friendly and efficient: They all seemed happy to go the extra mile - rechilling our complementary wine, printing out directions to a restaurant etc. We opted for the Ambassador room which was good value - a large room with a huge, comfy bed. We live in a rural area so were worried about the busy road nearby - I can honestly say I slept like a top each night.
A previous review had mentioned that the food was poor and this had worried us as we do like our food! We ate in the hotel for 2 of our 3 nights and the food was very good indeed. We don't eat meat and often find limited choice but at the Apollo we found plenty to suit us. Breakfast was also good with plenty of choice although I would ask for a better range of fresh fruit.
I'm beginning to sound like an advert for the Apollo. I wouldn't necessarily want to go on holiday there but the staff ensured that my husband and I had an enjoyable, relaxing break at what was a particularly difficult time (hospital visiting).
The gym was a good size with a range of equipment - I love my exercise. The salon was tiny but with exceptional staff. The only thing I would say is that it is not really what I would call a 'spa'. It is a hotel with a reasonable sized pool - and children are allowed in the pool so it is not necessarily going to be relaxing. We did use the sauna but there were too many noisy children in the pool so didn't have a swim.
That said, the Apollo exceeded our expectations and we would like to thank the staff for making this so.

Room Tip: Worth upgrading to an Ambassador room
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
radford1, General Manager at Apollo Hotel Basingstoke, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2011

Thank you for your kind comments, I will certainly pass these on to my staff

Reviewed May 28, 2011

The Apollo is conveniently situated for most of the business parks and companies on the north of Basingstoke. Everything is as expected for a functional business hotel

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed April 21, 2011

Stayed here overnight as it was convieniant to the hospital. The hotel room was satisfactory for our requirements. On inspection the hotel was very clean and the staff quite friendly.
The breakfast how ever was awful. food was cold the coffee and tea that was served to you by waiter service was cold too. I dont normally complain but this was disgusting. We left the hotel and had to go and buy our food elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple