“Pretty Good”
Review of AM Restaurant - CLOSED

AM Restaurant
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Oriental buffet restaurant serving primarily Chinese but also Malaysian, Singaporean, Indian and Thai dishes. 2 branches in Basingstoke and Aldershot.
Hampshire, UK
“Pretty Good”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

First visit to AM, have to say I'm an avid fan of the Buddha in Andover but this I think equals it and even beats it in as much as you get dessert in the price. All the food we had, starters, main and dessert were of good quality and I have to say I was soooooooo impressed that they had Bombay Potato, my all time favourite and even more delicious than at our favourite Indian restaurant. I loved the fact that Watermelon was on the dessert section another favourite, along with jelly and a super choice of ice cream. What I like about helping yourself is that its your choice to put little or big portions on your plate and go back for more if you can fit it in whereas in other eat as much as you can restaurants where its delivered to the table you feel you have to finish everything even though more often than not they bring extra and you end up feeling uncomfortable. Tonight I had three courses and came away feeling satisfied and comfortable. We had drinks of two beers, one glass of red wine and a pint of diet coke at a cost of £18 each which is pretty good value. Will re-visit soon.

• Visited August 2013
4 Thank Deborah K

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“You get what you pay for!”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Cheap food, reasonable choice but very run of the meal across the different national dishes; they may be better sticking to one only. Most of the food was warm by the time you got back to the table , nothing was pipping hot, sadly.
Next to no service basically it is do it all do it yourself apart from the drinks which you wait for and then get the wrong ones. However I think you can do this self service too by going to the bar but I did not try that this time.
We have not been ill since going a positive when reading the review by blue-roon but next time we will cross the road and go down in the basement Chinese buffet which opened a year or two before this one.

1 Thank holiday-view23-7-11
Wokingham, United Kingdom
“Would have prefered McDonalds”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I went there for their lunch buffet the other day and I have not been well since (it could be coincedence). The food is poor quality, the chicken was dry, the noodles bland, the sauce all tasted the same, the list could go on.

Yes its cheap but McDonalds and Spoons are cheaper (and probably nicer!). You pay for what you get I guess, but even still I can't say it was good value becuase I found the food terrible.

I wont be going again, I literally haven't had an appetite since eating there 2 days ago. On the plus side I might lose a few pounds.

3 Thank blue_roon
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“Not good!”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

The types of Chinese restaurants that offer a buffet selection are pretty run of the mill that usually delivers. This establishment failed on many levels.

Firstly it is an oriental restaurant offering the delights of Chinese, Malaysian, Singaporean, Indian & Thai cuisine that fails miserably. I think the nationalities are represented more than the actual main dishes from a particular country. I thought the variety of dishes were very poor indeed.

The staff where forever wiping around the Buffett area keeping it clean and presentable which is great - however what was really disappointing was the fact they did not top up the food trays until the last bit of dried noodle or the scrapings from the containers were gone so they were wiping around almost empty food trays. Why wee they not replenished? when I was there the restaurant was not that busy and this was a Friday at 9pm. Do the locals think as I do?

Although I live in the area I will not be returning.

1 Thank TravelmanBasingstoke
“Bad start, but well recovered!”
Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

Recently visited the other Chinese buffet, Wasungdan, over the road from AM restaurant, so thought this time we would try this one to compare. Initial impression was very poor, as when we walked in with our children, no one welcomed us and after watching a few other people enter, we realised the idea seemed to be just wander in and just find a table. Call me old fashioned, but I like a 'welcomer'. One sat down, our waitress could not have been more attentive, even showing my 5 year old how to use chop sticks, much to her delight! The food was generally good, although slightly disappointed at no hot and sour soup on offer, despite being advertised on their website. The selection was good, I would say on a par with wasungdan. Chicken dishes a little dry, but we were not expecting fine dining! The Chinese pork was easily the stand out for me, my wife enjoying the mushroom stir fry most. The kids loved the chow mein, chips and prawn crackers, and of course the unlimited ice cream.

Would go again, was great value, but if pressed, I would say wusungdan slightly wins between the two.

• Visited June 2013