“Food average, service poor!”
Review of wheatsheaf hotel

wheatsheaf hotel
Ranked #16 of 261 Restaurants in Basingstoke
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Chef & Brewer
Reviewed November 16, 2012

After attending a funeral service at the local crematoriam we all went back to the Wheatsheaf hotel for the wake. I have to admit the surroundings were lovely as a large area of the bar/dining room was sectioned off and so a very private area for all to meet up and chat. A buffet was laid on a nice touch by the hosts, the selection was average but it had been standing around for too long and was starting to spoil, goodness knows what it would have been like on a hot day! It would have been far better to have laid it out as the guests were arriving.
Needless to say most of the family members did not really eat much during the afternoon, so 10 of us decided to have a main meal before all heading off in diffrent directions. A table was eventually laid up for us in the dining room, this was about six o'clock. After being told four dishes on the specials were not available,our orders were taken, nothing complicated from the main menu. After about 20 miniutes the waitress came back and told one of the diners their choice was not available, no problems another order made and after a while our mains were delivered. As said nothing special and perhaps not the best 'pub food' ever. The fun and games came when we ordered our deserts, three of the items were not available. Several members ordered the fruit crumble to be told half an hour later that there was only one left as the others were not defrosted yet! So after 'fighting' over the last one the other two settled for ice creams, again there was a problem as they were picking flavours combinations off menu, i.e making up their own desert!. The staff could have just delivered as requested surely and charged accordingly, or perhaps there was not a press key on the till for this, or jokingly were they waiting for the ice creams to re freeze!
My point is at six in the evening surely the menu should have been restocked and more dished/items should have been available.
The service was very poor, we were attendned to by three diffrent staff members who obviously did not comminicate to each other as were were constantly asked the same questions. Not once were we asked if we wanted any more drinks so ended up going to the bar. A quick meal ended up lasting over three hours and seeing that most of the guests had a long drive ahead of them not ideal!
Would not go back to eat, a pitty as the pub is in a lovely location and could have been so nice.

1  Thank KatyK9

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Mel and I escaped Kathryn's party and went out for supper up the road at the Wheatsheaf. Despite the car park being full, the restaurant wasn't. I enjoyed the pheasant - hadn't tried pheasant for years and Mel took the Fish Pie. To be honest we didn't need dessert but that was good too.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

We often meet our friends here for a meal as it is roughly half-way. We have always enjoyed the meals here and as it is a Chef and Brewer feel certain that what we have is enjoyable. We met again last week in the evening as usual. Unfortunately, the men, looking forward to their usual Beef and Ale Pie were told there was none available. The women ususally go for an easy meal like fish and chips, curry or lasagne. This time as the men went for Rump Steak, we decided to have it as well, for a change. What a disappointment. The well-done ones were just about ok, the medium to rare was a bit chewy but just about got eaten, but mine - medium to well done was so tough that I couldnt cut it and my husband even couldn't cut it. I only managed to eat the salad and the chips. Apparently the excuse made was they had changed their supplier and their new one wasn't very good! I love steaks, but why is it so difficult to get a lovely juicy, tasty, melt in the mouth steak these days. They are not cheap either.
Every Xmas we meet for a special Christmas Dinner with all the trimmings, usually they are very good and we have picked up the booking brochure but I am seriously considering meeting somewhere else - I would love to go back there if they could guarantee a lovely meal.

1  Thank Iris15
Reviewed September 16, 2012

While the beer is always good here and I applaud them for using good local breweries, the rest of the experience was very lacking.

The food is really bad now using powdered mash, yuck, microwave veg, microwaved 2 inch square of pork belly with a small tasteless bit of crackling achieved by a blow torch, not good value at £11.99. Millionaires shortbread sundae £5.49 for a 'deconstructed' pile of crap, consisting of a few nuts, a large piece of unidentified fruit and cream with a small pool of caramel sauce in the bottom of a small sundae dish.

Most definitely never again!

Reviewed August 31, 2012

After a long day out my family and I decided to eat at the Wheatsheaf, having been here several times over the last few years; with largely good results. The staff were 'professionally friendly' (ok, but not sincere), and our orders were taken efficiently. When the food arrived, three out of the four meals were very good, (fish and chips x 2 and 1 lasagne). I opted for the fish pie which, to be fair, was tasty. But, (you saw THAT coming, didn't you?), the vegetables accompanying my dish were so old that the cauliflower was BLACK on the top and at at the cut ends. This is an obvious sign that the veg is well past its best so I pushed it aside and checked out the carrots. Oh dear - most of them were black too. The beans were also old and discoloured. I wasn't starving so just ate (and enjoyed) the pie. Nobody came round to check our meals were ok while we were eating and so it wasn't until our plates were being cleared that I was able to report the rotten veg. The waitress muttered, "sorry about that, I'll tell chef", as she placed the other three plates on top of the one with the offending veg - I was not convinced. When my husband spoke about it again when paying the bill at the bar he was told the chef 'was a big bloke who gets stressed when busy'. I'm guessing he never heard about the dissapointed customer, then.
Anyway - I would not say never go to the Wheatsheaf at all; just think again if there are more than three tables of diners if you want to avoid the results of stressing the chef.