“Here's the good and the bad”

Hampshire Court Hotel - A QHotel
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Basingstoke
GreenLeadersBronze level
dublin
“Here's the good and the bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

First of all the tennis.I spent over a week there with the intention of honing my tennis skills and losing some weight.what I found was a hotel that has moved from being a destination "tennis" hotel to one that caters for the local budget business trade. In fact aside from their excellent in house tennis coach -Shaym a charming young man- the hotel is clearly looking to shed itself of offering tennis. The outside clay courts are now lying unused without nets and only rubbish remains flying around - Sad! They do not even offer a ball machine to practise on. There are 6 excellent in house courts left but the famous Centre Court that was the showpiece of the hotel has now being converted to a tacky rock garden.

The staff are lovely and very helpful. The hotel is located close to small shopping mall and is five minutes from Basingstoke. Food is reasonably ok.The most important point is that it is cheap and the rooms are good.. There are two decent pools and a full sized gum that are heavily used by locals.

However now the bad.

1) In room TV is terrible- awful reception -hardly any channels and only dud movies available to buy.

2) DO NOT go for a massage - a waste of money. I tried three therapists . Only one demonstrated some knowledge of the craft and even that was unsatisfactory the other two were unbelievably bad.

In conclusion I get the impression after staying there that it deserves a two to maybe three star rating. Q Hotels the present owners are busy changing the hotel into a budget business offering which is fine and which is what you get.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
dankelly_9, General Manager at Hampshire Court Hotel - A QHotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear foundmybird. Thank you for your review following your stay with us. I am sorry that the hotel did not match up to what you were expecting. We are first and foremost a very good 4 star hotel who happen to have some excellent tennis facilities which we can offer to guests. The complex was a tennis center when it was first built around 30 years ago, but has changed substantially since then, with more bedrooms, more leisure facilities and considerably better service to all of our guests. I will look into your queries over the TV reception and quality of our massages as improving what we offer to guests is constantly what we strive to achieve. Regards Dan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Tiverton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

Stayed at Hampshire Court on our wedding Aniversary we had previously visit some 2 years ago for our daughters wedding which had been great. We were a little apprehensive as we did not think it could be as good. How wrong we were it has not changed standards just as high. We stayed in a standard room which we felt was very good. The meal in the restuarant was excellent along with the service, the breakfasts are as good as ever. I stay at a number of hotels for business but the Hampshire far exceeds any of them. Nice to see same staff on duty which speaks volumes for a hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pthompson1959
Dear pthompson1959. Thank you for your review following your getaway here at the hotel. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed as much as you did 2 years ago. I am very fortunate to have such a good team and they will be thrilled with your feedback. Regards Dan.
Tonbridge, Kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

Booked a spa break at this hotel last weekend and wasn't disappointed. We had a fabulous time and you cannot fault the hotel or the service provided. The food in the brasserie at lunch time and restaurant in the evening was both enjoyable and well presented. The lunch and dinner were included in our spa break package, great value for money. The leisure club and spa were clean and relaxing with helpful staff and we felt relaxed and pampered when we left. The room we stayed in was lovely. If your thinking of booking a spa weekend here I would recommend it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear samanthab120. Thank you for your review following your spa break with us. I am delighted to hear you were so impressed by the team, spa, food and hotel as a whole. I hope you will come back again soon. Regards Dan
Beverley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

Arrived for a conference early this morning. Staff where friendly and efficient and whilst not a particularly aesthetic hotel and location next to a shopping centre it's smart modern and slick. Excellent conference venue and I was relaxed and looked after . Watch out for the post code taking you to a shopping centre car park- use the map!
The lunch was excellent and plated in individual hot serving receptacles at the buffet lunch. Veg was al dente and fresh. Sweet was refreshing and with cheese board too.
A good business venue with wifi without password which worked well.
Thanks Mach.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Macheovelli. Thank you for your review following your business stay with us. I am very happy to hear you were suitably impressed by the hotel and that the food and free WiFi were particularly pleasing to you. Regards Dan
Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

Fantastic three night break at the Hampshire Court Hotel. The kids loved the kids only pool (so much easier to manage them while my husband went to the gym!!). Convenient for Legoland and trips into London to go to Science Museum, etc. Ate in the restaurant every night - wide choice of food and really nice atmosphere - very family friendly as well as having a big coach party with older couples on a National Trust holiday. The kids had free Easter Eggs and elephants made out towels in their room which they loved. Spotlessly clean and all the staff really welcoming. We had interconnecting rooms for the first time - rooms 131 & 133 so a huge amount of space.
Brilliant - our second trip and can't wait to go back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
dankelly_9, General Manager at Hampshire Court Hotel - A QHotel, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear ZLO_Devon. Thank you for your review following your stay with the family. I am delighted to hear we were able to help you enjoy such a good weekend. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon and I would suggest next time it is your husband's turn to look after the kids in the pool and you can go and explore the spa treatments available. Regards Dan.
Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

Good location. Smart, pleasant staff. Excellent leisure facilities. Clean, comfortable room with all facilities. No fridge. TV and radio choice limited. Good breakfast buffet with broad selection. Cooked breakfast warm. Evening meal is plated service. The group had to order in advance at breakfast. OK after a poor start first evening. Food quality is good. Drinks a little pricey.

• Stayed March 2013
dankelly_9, General Manager at Hampshire Court Hotel - A QHotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear MrW777. Thank you for your review following the stay with your group. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your time with us so much. I look forward to welcoming you back soon I hope. Regards Dan
Brighton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

Lovely relaxing spa break couldn't find much to fault until i got home and checked my online banking. The hotel took a 'pre authorisation' of £220 when we arrived and then another £235 when we left and took the full balance as expected. I wasn't aware that Double the payment would be on hold from my account for 7 days before returning to my bank for use, which was a bit of a stressful situation when you have bills to pay! I have spoken to the manager about this a few times and he said he had cancelled the 'pre authorisation' but when i spoke to my bank it still takes the 7 days even after being cancelled. The manager also told me 'I should have had enough money in my account'. I wasn't expected nearly £1000 for a weekend away to be unavailable from my bank account. So please be wary of this, its probably a good idea to pay the full balance when you arrive to avoid any confusion!

Anyway.. other then that we had a lovely stay, we stayed in room 150 which has a balcony (we couldn't use because it snowed!) The hotel is clean and modern and the staff in general are very friendly. We booked a 2 night spa break and had 3 treatments each, which were lovely! The spa team are great and make you feel really relaxed. I recommend the facials and scalp massage! The hotel is close to Basingstoke town which is handy if you want to go shopping or as we did visit milestones which is great! The food was the best surprise! Dinner was gorgeous and again the staff in the restaurant are brilliant!

We didn't use the gym but it looked well equipped, the adult swimming pool is quite small but wasn't very busy so was ok. We went swimming three times and it wasn't over crowded.

Overall we had a fantastic weekend and would have stayed again if it hadn't been for the bad experience once we'd arrived back home.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear jojo3291. Thank you for your review following your spa break with us. I am glad to hear you had a fantastic weekend and were so impressed by the hotel and team. I am sorry about the confusion regarding your bank card. Following extensive conversations with the bank and 3 of the management team here at the hotel, I am still unable to give you a definitive answer on what may have happened to cause the confusion. They do all agree that the hotel only ever took £455 from your card. Whether or not the hotel was at fault I am very sorry if the situation caused you any inconvenience or angst. I am disappointed to read that you have been put off coming back to the hotel. Should you decide to change your mind it would be a pleasure to welcome you and we will do our utmost to ensure the billing is as straightforward as possible. Regards Dan.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Basingstoke
Norton Park - A QHotel
The Basingstoke Hotel
The Basingstoke Hotel
#11 of 13 in Basingstoke
3.0 of 5 bubbles 1,103 reviews

Been to Hampshire Court Hotel - A QHotel? Share your experiences!