“Less than impressed”

Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“Less than impressed”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Had a busy Saturday and had not decided what to have to eat, so I suggested a Takeaway Curry for a rare change.
Quick scan of the web to find the closest, quick squizz on TA to suss out the lay of the land. Hit the website link saw that I could order online for collection. Set my collection time ordered 5 dishes for 2 of us got an order number all seemed very good.
Arrived just before my collection time paid my pennies and waited and waited watching the fish going round the tank. The place wasn't busy by any Saturday night Indian standard, there were plenty of waiters all polite "won't be long" "won't be long" then a look in the eye and an "ah you are still here!!!" facial impression.
40 minutes after arriving, "I am so sorry Sir here is your order, we are very busy tonight", cripes: really. Dinner carried to the door and handed to me all very polite and apologetic.
Get home absolutely starving, open my bag and uh-oh I have the wrong dinner, phone up to notify them of the error and start getting the run around, then the mobile rings, it's the the restaurant phoning me to tell me what I am already telling the bloke next to him on the other phone.
Thankfully it's only a few minutes away so I am back down there to swap meals, and back home with my complimentary 2 Popadoms for the inconvenience. The fact that I was absolutely starving probably helped the lukewarm fare down.
Lesson learned stick with Chinese they have mastered takeaway, Indian always eat in. Although probably not this one, which is a shame as it's in walking distance.

• Visited December 2013
3 Thank John-Boy-Saint

London, United Kingdom
“Outstanding food,excellent service”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We visited here large group of colleagues from work,liked great food and atmosphere of the place and service was excellent.I love Indian food and found this to be the best one I ever eaten in! great spices,flavour and presentation. nice experience great value for money. we will be back at the end of November for another great night.

Hampshire,
“declining?”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I have eaten at the Raj many times and been very satisfied but not this time.On arrival I slid through the door onto a greasy floor. We waited for quite a long while for poppadoms and nobody came to take our order. Eventually the waiter came and took it but then we waited nearly an hour for our food. The food was ok but I have had better and too be honest I had lost interest by the time it arrived.The couple next to us fared worse as their order was lost altogether and they were far more polite than I would have been about it.The restaurant seeemed to be putting the orders through on tablets but I think a bit more practice is needed in their use. This has always been a popuar restaurant but I think it will be a long time before we go again .

3 Thank tigger69
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“Another great meal”
Reviewed November 8, 2013

My wife and I had another great meal at the Raj. The food was excellent with friendly service and very good value!

Hook, United Kingdom
“The best Indian in the town”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Best curries, had many take away and a few in restaurant visits, they would happilt deliver as far as Sherfield Park [new development next to Chineham].