“The worst indian restaurant in Basingstoke” 1 of 5 bubbles

Mango Grove
Ranked #122 of 253 Restaurants in Basingstoke
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti, Bangladeshi
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
North Hampshire
“The worst indian restaurant in Basingstoke”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2009

This is a new restaurant in Basingstoke town centre which opened in November 2008. I couldn't wait to give it a try.
We received a warm welcome and offered a choice of tables. We then ordered our drinks and when they arrived we ordered popadums. When these arrived they were very nice, crisp and dry, this was where the good about this restaurant ended. The pickle selection was unusual to be kind. No lime pickle, the mango chutney was ordinary but the onion salad was fresh. We had 2 additions to the traditional selection and these were alarming. One was a salsa? and the other appeared to be HP brown sauce mixed with vinegar?
After a very long wait the food arrived, on the bright side the rice was OK, the naan was not bad and the chana aloo was passable. The main dishes were terrible and every dish sampled was bland. The Shashlik was presented well but under spiced and salty. The Korai didn't come sizzling to the table and was under spiced and salty too. As usual I tried the prawn Madras, guess what? It was bland, under spiced and under-prawned! I could not finish it as the amount of salt used was burning my mouth rather than any sign of chilli.
At one point I was pointed towards the toilets which, as there was no signage I ended up in the kitchen, after an apology I found what I was looking for and wished I hadn't. The toilets were a building site and I had to dry my hands using Kleenex tissues. The decor of the restaurant was a little sterile, and there was to be honest too much room, I have never sat on a table for 4 people and had to practically shout to the person opposite as they were over 2 meters away!
We left in a hurry and will certainly never return, never mind recommend the place to anyone else I considered a friend! This really was the worst place I have ever eaten, anywhere.

• 2 of 5 bubbles