“Wonderful restaurant, gone off the boil?”
Review of The Lime Leaf

The Lime Leaf
Ranked #10 of 264 Restaurants in Basingstoke
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Restaurant serving authentic Thai food. Situated in a 16th century two storey building in Basingstoke's Top of Town area. Small intimate dining areas suitable for small group bookings up to 16 persons.
Reviewed October 16, 2013

This is my local lunch 'joint' in Basingstoke and used to be extremely reliable for a quick meal. Very good value and consistent quality. Unfortunately, my last couple of visits have been rather underwhelming. The staff remain friendly and attentive and are great if you bring children. And the service remains swift. If anything, I think it's now a bit too rushed and today my vegetable tempura had excellent flavours but undercooked veg while the Singapore chicken curry was delicious but the potato inside was almost raw and not at all pleasant.

I hope they can return to previous winning ways as I'd hate to lose this as a go-to lunch option.

David W, Owner at The Lime Leaf, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Thank you for taking the trouble to review our restaurant, I'm sorry you were a bit disappointed on your last two visits. While most customers appreciate speedy sevice at lunchtime this should not be at the expense of quality. I have talked this through with the staff with a view to getting the balance right in the future...

Reviewed October 15, 2013

After being warmly welcomed and efficiently shown to a waiting clean table, the order for two hot courses from the Quick Lunch menu was taken efficiently. Both of these courses were tasty, freshly cooked, with each being served promptly and piping hot, but without any rush in the relaxing surroundings. All nicely washed down with a complementing Thai beer. A pot of Jasmine tea nicely rounded off the experience.

I can’t wait to go again at lunch time…

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Everything about The Lime Leaf is quality. The food is by far the best in Basingstoke and is hard to beat anywhere. The service is beyond compare and coupled with the decor it really makes for a perfect dining experience.

Me and my partner go at least once a-month and have been for nearly two years, not once having any bad experiences.

If you've never been, do so!

James S

1  Thank James S
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We wanted to try a Thai restaurant and this one was recommended to us. we didn't book, and When we got to the restaurant we looked in the window and it looked packed, it was only 7pm, but we thought we would take a chance anyway. We went in and asked for a table and he took us into the crowded bit of the restaurant and we were thinking 'oh no its to busy' then we followed the waiter through a door and went upstairs, were we was sat in our own section with no one else in. the waiter got our drinks straight away.

This was our first experience trying Thai food, and I must say it was absolutely amazing. The food was delicious! I would certainly recommend this restaurant to anyone who has or hasn't tried Thai food yet.

1  Thank Sp06
Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

Had arranged with some friends to come here for my birthday meal. We didn't book a table, after a while the what appeared to be, the manager said we could have a table, which was obviously the waiting room.. Right next to the entrance. We were nevertheless grateful. The waitress serving us did not have a clue what she was talking about, was unable to answer us with simple questions about the food, kept getting our orders wrong which resulted in some of the food coming out cold, drinks orders wrong Etc etc...

The manager by the end of the night obviously had realised we were unhappy, and done his best to try and make this better by a free round of drinks.

The food that we did have, was lovely though!

1  Thank Jadeworger
David W, Owner at The Lime Leaf, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

I am grateful for this review but would suggest that the headline is not consistent with the content. A rating of 4 for value for money and the comment that "the food...was lovely" hardly suggests that it was "not a good experience". I'm sorry that there was some confusion over the order. All our waiting staff are knowledgeable about the menu but on this occasion the person taking the order got a bit flustered and this led to some mistakes for which we sought to make amends which the review acknowledges. The group certainly seemed to have enjoyed themselves in spite of the slip ups.