“Always a pleasure”

Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed July 12, 2014

I always forget to review my 'local' the Tavern so I thought it was about time I put pen to paper. Hubby and I ate last night and as usual loved it! We have been lucky enough to go to some very high end restaurants here in the UK and abroad BUT if we had to choose which food is the best it has to be here. We have tried many things on the menu and all are fabulous. There are also daily specials to choose from which are interesting and seasonal. However, I am a pain and generally bug the fabulous waiters to mither the chef to do me the best beef stroganoff I have ever tasted........which is off the menu .....so a huge favour to ask. This review is a huge thank you to the chef and team at the Tavern for indulging me every time I ask......I really appreciate you making this for me and truly it is the BEST! If all restaurant in the world had to be closed and I could save one it would be here. Lovely atmosphere, casual, low key dining, fab food, lovely staff, great bar staff and the most gorgeous views over fields with lambs and cows grazing in the late evening sunshine! Thanks Tavern for many years of yummy grub!

2  Thank sammyE66

Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

Both my Mum and I regularly dine out and actively seek out venues that are informal but which retain a level of service and professionalism to make our excursion enjoyable and one we are then eager to then repeat.

The staff at the Tavern are courteous, helpful and efficient and use impeccable manners. The manageress is approachable and friendly and eager to see that guests enjoy their visit. The establishment certainly stands out from the crowd!

I can thoroughly recommend a visit.

Neil King

1  Thank NK5567
Reviewed July 9, 2014

This was a special lunch for me as I hadn't seen my friends for a while and we had been putting tour luncheon date for a while. The tavern fayre was chosen for its locality to all of us.
There was a good choice of food at varying prices and sizes from a main meal to sandwiches or light lunches. The service was first class with attentive waitresses in the know regarding the choices on the menu. I choose the pot roast beef brisket which came with hotspot potatoes and veg ( no garden peas thank god!) , the beef was very tender and moist the potatoes and veg cooked just right.My friends each had the fisherman splatter which came with salad and looked extremely appetising, they both enjoyed there meal very much. The place itself, whilst quiet when we arrived soon filled up but it is a large place so didn't seem overcrowded.
As we hadn't seen each other for a while we had a lot of catching up to do but we wasn't rushed or hurried by the staff even though we had finished our meal and drinks.
Overall it was a nice relaxing long lunch and would certainly revisit. Thoroughly recommended.

Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

Just dined with my mum and daughter and can honestly say that we all thoroughly enjoyed our meal. We had - Lamb shank 'specials board', Beef brisket (the hotpot potatoes were to die for) and the fish & chips (light meal). The restaurant was busy as usual but we didnt have to wait exceptionally long for our meals. I would definitely recommend the restaurant.

Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

Having booked a table for a special occasion, 9 people in total, with 3 children, had been in the waiting area for a matter of 1 minute when we were ushered away and told that the 'locals' do not want to hear children playing as they have been working all day??? This is disgusting as it is supposed to be a family restaurant, well that is what is stated on their website, we were all way to hungry to start finding other establishments to take our family to, so we stayed and had the meal, no starters just main meal, we were not impressed and felt rushed all the way through, the food was adequate to be nice, certainly not worth the price tag, i shall never be setting foot into this establishment again, terrible terrible terrible