“Food ok service terrible”

The Tavern Fayre at Hunger Hill Bolton
Ranked #31 of 567 Restaurants in Bolton
Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

Employ kids what do you get = poor service! Pricing is on the higher side so you expect good service however when you order a drink it takes 20 mins to get to you, the staff are more interested in each other. Come on sort the issues out, until you have I'm down the road at the Three Pigeons half the price and much better friendly service.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

remeber it was good service, could sit outside, lots of time to choose and eat. limited for non meat eaters

Reviewed March 3, 2013

The Tavern ion The Hill obviously has at least one very good chef. The quality of the food means that at face value it's not overpriced either, not given that the restaurant itself is clean and nice to look at.
Sadly what let's this place down is it's appalling service levels and service policies. How apt that this place is situated on Hunger Hill, how hungry we were! Bad jokes aside, we arrived on a Saturday night after being told that we could not reserve a table in advance. We then proceeded to wait one hour exactly in the smart waiting area before they finally called our table. When we were seated we then waited another 55 minutes before any food arrived on our table. that's right form arriving it was nearly two hours before we tasted any food. To top it off, the staff were off point also, forgetting to ask if we wanted drinks, water or sauces. When I had to request gravy with my meal, the waiter was then incredibly quick to bring out the 'mini bill' and let me know that the gravy was an additional £2.85. More annoyingly, he brought the mini bill before he even brought the gravy.
This place needs a massive overhaul in company policy, before I ever consider going again. There are plenty of other gastro-pubs in Bolton and Westhoughton that would serve you in less than half the time, charge you less and generally make you feel more looked after. Sorry to any staff that are reading this, but you really must try harder.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

We called on sunday 24 Feb for a late lunch , arrived approx 3pm , was told a 20 min wait , ok was happy to have a drink at the bar , still waiting 50 mins later and were just about to leave when our names were called . We were a bit annoyed to see there were plenty of empty tables yet we had been waiting so long but thought maybe a staffing issue .
The waitress was very friendly and pleasant , took our orders and disappeared , starters arrived about 15 mins later , i had garlic mushrooms which were lovely and husband had the pate again very nice . I ordered the gammon steak which was really nice and all piping hot and he had spaghetti carbonara which he really enjoyed.
Service for drinks very slow and got a pint instead of half but not charged . We were debating whether to have a dessert or not but this was settled by staff as no-one came near to ask if we wanted any . We had not been in before and were not sure if you just go to the dessert area at the bar but no-one around to ask and they appeared to be very busy so just paid for the bill and left . I don't think the food was worth the wait so probably would not return .

1  Thank Lynette B
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I ate here with my husband and daughters last week and was appalled by the cleanliness of this place, friends had recommended the tavern but I'm afraid I couldn't! The whole place is covered in dust, the carpet is filthy, the toilets smelled appallingly. I dread to think what the kitchens are like!

1  Thank annb100