“Birthday lunch ”

Ranked #167 of 543 Restaurants in Bolton
Cuisines: British, Pub
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Welcome to the Toby Carvery Bolton. When it comes to roast dinners, we really know our stuff. Every day our chefs lay on a feast of tender, hand-carved meats with all the trimmings – including towering Yorkshire puds, golden roasties with all those lovely little crunchy bits, and plenty of freshly prepared veg, all crowned with proper gravy. So it's no wonder we're Lancashire’s favourite carvery restaurant. Drop by and you'll find lots more on offer, including cooked breakfasts and tasty specials.
Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

Went in today with my mum & son for my birthday lunch the meat was a bit dry. but the meal was lovely the only thing I was upset with was there was no onion gravy .usually have a bit it makes my meal

1  Thank Tdthomas
There are newer reviews for Toby Carvery Bolton

Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

Popped in for breakfast and was pleasantly surprised at the quality for just £3.99. Full english hit the spot and refill coffee for £2. You just cant argue with that. Will be coming back next sunday

1  Thank SteveM8652013
Reviewed June 23, 2014 via mobile

If you don't fancy the carvery the menu is pretty boring! Usual choice of beef gammon turkey pork and assorted overcooked vegetables and tasteless gravey needs oxo! There is no audible background music and the place feels generally dark and uninteresting but I must give credit to the gardener's the plants and grounds are lovely

Toby Carvery R, Guest Relations Manager at Toby Carvery Bolton, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2014

We have replied to you personally following your recent comments left on our Trip Advisor page. We aim to improve and your feedback will help us to achieve this.

Reviewed June 18, 2014

The building and grounds are very nice. Now onto the food. I visited with my wife and young daughter for an early weekday dinner at around half six so it was fairly quiet. Shown to a table by a frankly scruffy looking (three day beard) and disinterested "greeter". No smiles, no welcome, "Table for three?" (showing good observational skills however as there were three of us).was the most we got out of him Rest of the staff it has to be said were friendly and helpful

There was no one at the buffet so we went straight to it. Here's the low down on the food we had. Beef - so tough I had to take it off my daughters plate as she couldn't bite it. She only had beef because I had to get her original choice, gammon replaced as that was so over salted she couldn't eat that either. The turkey was tasty and soft but it did have a strange texture that makes me think it had been injected with liquid or possibly brined (just my impression that nothing more). The pork roast was dry as a bone and flavorless. The vegetables were overcooked moderatly with the exception of the cauliflower cheese which was devoid of cheese and mushy and watery. The baked onions however were quite nice and my wife had a Yorkshire pudding which she said was excellent. The overcooking continued to the roast potatoes that needed some serious knife action to penetrate "the crusty bits" that the restaurant markets as the hallmark of this dish. The gravy tasted of flour and little else and even the English mustard had lost much of its flavor (prepared too long ago?)

OK so this is fairly cheap food at £6 a plate for adults and £5 for kids so I wasn't expecting too much. Most of it (except the beef and gammon and cauliflower cheese) was edible if not that enjoyable and most of the staff were nice. If the drinks prices were in line with the food prices I'd probably have given it a 2 star rating but our overall bill was £24 quid for two single course adult meals, one two course childs meal and three soft drinks. I won't be going back anytime soon.

5  Thank Steve_Myers_182

We are sorry that your recent visit to Toby Carvery Bolton was not to your satisfaction. We appreciate your feedback which will help us to improve, and we have replied to you personally about your review.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

Overall the food was very average with the exception of the Yorkshire pads, which were exceptional. Gammon was so salty, we asked if we could swap my young daughters and they were very obliging. Overall veg was good with the exception of the cauliflower which was boiled to death, drinks were extortionate, clearly where they make their money, 330ml fantastic (that's one can) £2.40!

Toby Carvery R, Public Relations Manager at Toby Carvery Bolton, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit on our Trip Advisor page. We were disappointed to read that you were not satisfied with your visit to Toby Carvery Bolton, and we have replied to you personally about this.