“Over rated”

Bob's Smithy Inn Country Pub and Dining
Ranked #31 of 682 Restaurants in Bolton
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Family run country Pub and Restaurant serving pub lunches and evening dining in our A La Carte Restaurant all our food is cooked with local produce. Our food is all cooked from fresh by trained chefs.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

My wife and I (and son) visited here for what I would term a pub lunch. The staff were very friendly and attentive, the surroundings were pleasant and relaxing, the toilets clean......however the positives end here, right here......my wife and I had what rightly amounts to a ‘hot sandwich’, my son a ‘bobs deluxe burger’ (simply don’t know why the worlds smallest burger can be termed ‘deluxe’).......preceded by two nibbles and finished by one desert.....all this with one pint and two glasses of wine and two J2O’s come to £73 pound!

There there, its okay, you’re fine, you’re in A&E......it’s the shock of the price.....nothing to do with the fact that the landlady was wearing a mask when she did you over sir!

A pub lunch, food nothing to write home about and a second mortgage to cover it.....not value for money....there’s far better places within 5 miles that offer both value for money and taste......extra of course was: the smile as you enter your PIN number and the laughter as you walk out of the establishment for paying that sum.

Never again

Ps.....three years ago on a birthday meal, they charged us for extra napkins to wrap the portions of cake......I should have known then

3  Thank Kaisersoze13
managerbobs, Manager at Bob's Smithy Inn Country Pub and Dining, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Kaisersoze13

I’m sorry you feel our prices are too high. In the current economic climate the cost of ingredients are increasing all the time. All our menu items are costed accordingly & are competitive in the local area. As a family run business it is difficult to source ingredients at a cheaper price unlike chains in the local area, who can buy in bulk at a reduce cost.

For standard working procedure all our burgers are weighed at 6oz. I’m sorry you feel this is to small. We have served these burgers to many of our customers and never had a complaint about the portion size.

I would like to thank you for your kind words about the pub and the staff. This means a lot to the team and I will pass on your comments.

I wish you all the best in the future.

Kind regards
Robert Nelson

Write a reviewReviews (523)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Seen the bar snacks advertised on Facebook, so thought we’d give it a try seeing as we’re local.

Food was amazing, staff were really friendly, will definitely be returning in the future.

4  Thank delboy93
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Visited with family. The pub itself is really lovely, nice ambience and country pub vibe. Sadly, food is now becoming way overpriced for the portion sizes and quality. The roast beef was lovely as always, but the veg was a small dollop of mush at the side of the plate and the roast potatoes had been overcooked. We had a deeply unpleasant encounter as we left. I mentioned to the waitress when she checked in on us at the end of the meal that our food was delayed and not as we had hoped. The owner then barged over and interrupted and started to essentially talk over my complaint and the waitress, who was actually managing the complaint in an appropriate way. The poor waitress apologised herself as we left. When I've read the management response to previous reviews, I can see the same thread - little recognition of fault and an argumentative tone. It really made us feel quite uncomfortable. I won't return, which is a real shame as we used to love bringing my in laws here for Sunday lunch.

3  Thank vickie2010_10

Vickie2010_10

I can only assume your review is a result of the one that had already been left by another member of your dining party. I can see you weren’t happy with my reply and for that I sincerely apologise.

However, I still stand by my response and won’t waste everybody’s time by repeating myself.

Trip advisor is a great platform for customers to share experiences and in the main is used correctly. Fortunately, they have given us the power to reply and give our version of events. I feel this is a fair way for all other potential customers to also gather information regarding the business with bad reviews.

I’m sorry if you felt the tone was argumentative, I was simply giving a factual account of the day in question.

I wish the best of luck in future to you.

Kind regards
Robert Nelson

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Went upto the Bob's Smithy on Saturday(14.9.19) with friends to watch The tour of Britian. I have got to say what a great atmosphere ther was inside the pub and outside the pub.The pub inside was extremely busy, but the bar staff managed to keep on top of serving everyone. Outside rhere must have been over a hundred people outside who were enjoying the sunshine and the great atmosphere whilst waiting for the cyclist to arrive. We then decide not to go home but to have a late lunch which was amazing. Yhe food was cooked to perfection and the sevice was 100 per cent. I would recommended the fish gougons to start and the scampi and homemade chips to follow. Thank you the staff of the Bob's Smithy for agreat Saturday afternoon can't wait to visit again.

1  Thank Joanne M
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Myself and my friends came in for a lovely Sunday I had a beef and gammon mixed roast and my partner had the beef. We were seated a little later than expected but not to worry that happens when restaurants get busy, we were having a lovely time until a big table turned up and we're very loud including children which is likely seen as they were all sat together at the end of their table. My partner politely asked one of the waitress to ask if they could the big table to quiet down as I was recieveing a headache, the waitress was very nice and said she would " ask if they can lower the volume". After the waitress spoke to the table I heard one of the women call her a "b****" which I thought was extremely rude. My other friend ( who was sitting close to the wall) said that a knife was thrown at the back of his chair by one of the children, if it had hit him I wouldn't have been very happy with that tables manners. Near the end of our lovely meal we asked if we could recieved our bill while we were having our dessert ( jam roly poly was beautiful), the party also asked for theirs and we're told that it would be a couple of minutes seen as the manager was writing another tables bill. They were very unhappy. We received out bill and after being payed we sat to finish our drinks. Brilliant place, slow service but that wasn't a problem. We have all seen the review that the table had put and we all thought that it was out of order. Would definitely come again :).

3  Thank Rmattews915