“Excellent Night Out”

Bob's Smithy Inn and Old Forge Restaurant
Ranked #18 of 561 Restaurants in Bolton
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Family run country Pub and Restaurant serving pub lunches and evening dining in our A La Carte Restaurant all our food is cooked with local produce. Our food is all cooked from fresh by trained chefs.
Reviewed January 31, 2014

4 of us went to the Old Forge on a recent Saturday night. We were warmly welcomed by the attentive friendly staff and we kicked off the evening with some locally brewed real ale. The meal was spot on for all of us and we were all very satisfied with the wine recommended by our waiter. The atmosphere in the Restaurant was lively and friendly....highly recommended place.

2  Thank colin990

Reviewed January 14, 2014

My partner and I took our mothers here just after New Year on an early Thursday evening. We often stop here or a drink after a country walks and noted the restaurant was always busy.
We were a little late due to traffic but were greeted with a friendly hello on arrival. The dining room is through the bar in what was the cottage next door to the pub. It’s very modern, bright and all-round nicely decorated.
We were quickly given the menus and our drinks order taken. There is an a la carte menu, fixed price menu dependent upon the number of courses you choose and a specials board. The mother in law had pate to start with which was plentiful and tasty (we all tried some as we were having puddings rather than starters).
For main course I went for the place and swapped the cous cous for chips (my new year’s resolution to give up healthy food) which was a problem to the waiter. My partner and mother chose the place with different accompaniments and the mother in law chose chicken in a mushroom and cream sauce. All were very tasty and we also got bread rolls on the house.
The evening took a different turn as we eagerly awaited our coffees and sticky toffee pudding, the turn being the mother in law having a funny turn (she has played this trick before when she thinks it’s her turn to pay). We had to call an ambulance and unfortunately missed out on our puddings and coffees. All the staff looked after us and was extremely helpful even to the point of reducing our bill due to the unexpected end to the evening (which wasn’t necessary but appreciated).

So for what we had it was all very tasty and he service exceptional not to mention great wine list and the renowned real ales. Please give it a try.
And finally the mother in law recovered – seemed to perk up once I had paid the bill !

2  Thank BigSamsWanderer
Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

The typical feel of a country Pub, with not much happening inside (not a bad thing)

A brief look at the Bar impresses, and a look around the Main Area suggests a local clientele, faithful to a courteous and personable staff team... And a log fire!

I've been twice now, and have sampled different menus on both occasions. This second encounter was brilliant from start to end.

Service is warm and accommodating; Attention to Prelay needed was spot on and well timed; Checkback wasn't irritating... And felt genuine; Food was excellent - though portion size of Main (Ribs) could have been slightly larger, without detrimentally impacting on my experience (and waistband).

Love the staff, love the Ales, love the location, love the food... Nuff said! Go now!

3  Thank Dave C
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Recently went with my husband for a meal out to the Old Forge and this was our first visit but won't be our last. We booked a table and was promptly greeted and asked would be like a drink in the bar or to go through to the restaurant. The restaurant is cosy and has lovely decor. Staff are friendly and helpful. Waitress came and offered us a portion of bread, unfortunately this came cold, I would prefer it served warm. Everything is cooked to order and is not pre-cooked like some restaurants and is worth the wait (not long). My husband ordered the pigeon starter which came with pak choi and red onion marmalade and red wine reduction. My husband had not had pigeon before and pigeon was ok but would say it was an acquired taste. I didn't have starter as I wanted a pudding! I ordered the sirloin steak which came with homemade chips, mushroom, tomato, vegetables and a stilton sauce on the side. The steak was the best I had ever had, succulent, juicy, tasty and cooked to perfection. Everything else was cooked lovely. My husband had wild boar with vegetables black pudding mashed potatoes and mushroom sauce which he enjoyed. In his opinion the mash potatoes were a little dry and could have been a little creamier. I had sticky toffee pudding with ice cream for my desert and this came with toffee sauce also. I had some invenio white zinfandel wine which I also enjoyed. The highlight of the meal was the steak, we will definitely go back and can recommend this restaurant! At the end of the evening the landlady asked if everything was ok, we stated about the bread and she informed us that they generally serve bread rolls warm but on this occasion we had got sliced bread which you get a choice of white or brown/seeded bread and also about the black pudding mash being a little dry. She said she would mention it to the chef. Overall this did not spoil our meal and it is well worth a visit.

1  Thank angbrfc
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Our group of 42 enjoyed the our first visit to Bobs Smithy. Service was A1 excellent and the food was absolutely delicious. Would recommend to anyone

2  Thank sharon63