“Excellent Beer, food and service” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Old Forge at Bobs Smithy Inn

Old Forge at Bobs Smithy Inn
Ranked #18 of 513 Restaurants in Bolton
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Large groups, Bar scene, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Television, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Family run country Pub and Restaurant serving pub lunches and evening dining in our A La Carte Restaurant all our food is cooked with local produce. Our food is all cooked from fresh by trained chefs.
Bolton, United Kingdom
“Excellent Beer, food and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

The beer has always been the best quality here and still is. Always 5 or 6 real ales on and the landlord really know's how to look after the beer.
The restaurant is also very nice. Cool decor, just the right service, and the food good. I had the early 3 course special and it was excellent value and fine tasting food.
It is small so i suggest you reserve your table. But if you have to wait the bar is fantastic with log fires in the winter.

2 Thank David H

“Wonderful Vegetarian Main”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013

We booked an early evening meal at The Old Forge having visited once before and vowing to return. My husband selected from the early bird two or three courses menu which he found to be excellent especially his steak which he said was beautiful and just as he had ordered. He thoroughly enjoyed his home made sticky toffee pudding. His fish goujon starter which he would not normally have chosen was readily devoured. This menu is available for part of the week and is terrific value for quality food.
I selected from the main menu which had tempting selections for a vegetarian. The mushroom starter with chilli dip was presented very well and most enjoyable. When my main arrived, a filo basket with feta, spinach , mixed nuts and sauté potatoes on a bed of ratatouille it looked amazing. This was probably the best vegetarian main I have ever eaten in a restaurant, outstanding presentation and taste. I also indulged in a lemon posset which was again presented beautifully with a raspberry coulis, berries and homemade shortbread.We rarely order sweets in a restaurant but we couldn't resist following the excellent previous courses.
Our waitress was pleasant and chatty without being intrusive and the manager most welcoming. The restaurant was extremely quiet for a Friday evening which was puzzling although the pub itself was buzzing with customers and atmosphere. We could only think this may have been due to the England match on TV or proximity to Christmas.
Can't recommend this lovely little gem highly enough. A most enjoyable experience.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Colliefan
St Helens, United Kingdom
“Good pub lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

Having only passed the pub a few times on my travels recently my wife stated it looked nice so we popped in a little spot of lunch . Im never one to pen a review but since the whole experience was just excellent I have decided to . The meals where well presented and you could tell it was all freshly made although a would say slightly pricey . I would say the expression 'you get what you pay for' fits perfectly . Nice and warm inside with a good selection of beers. This place is definitely worth a visit .

• 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank stickingsect
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Family celebration”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

Having eaten at the Old Forge on quite a few occasions, I felt I should put pen to paper and share our experience today. We chose The Old Forge to celebrate our early Christmas get together, we were a party of seventeen including a toddler. From our initial discussions with Lorraine, the landlady, I felt we were going to have a very special day as she couldn't have been more accommodating. We chose from the three course Sunday menu, exceptional value at £15.95. (two course £12.95 and one course £9.95) I can recommend the Roast Beef, beautifully cooked and very generous portions, my daughter said the Cheese and Onion pie was amazing and the Pork Rack was raved about as well. I tried the Black Pudding with Poached egg for my starter, as did my husband, we were not disappointed, very tasty. My favourite on previous occasions has been the Fudge cake for dessert but today I chose the Plum Crumble with custard, an excellent choice to round of my Sunday Lunch.
We received superb service from the bar staff and waitresses throughout our meal, thank you. Some of our party had not eaten at The Old Forge before but following today's experience they will be now!

1 Thank KarBar22
Bolton, United Kingdom
“Great meal. Amazing service.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

Tonight was our second visit to the old forge and both times the food has been exceptional. But for me one thing that stands out (and I'm particularly fussy about) is the service. Really professional but personal! And the Sunday lunch is amazing value for money. Although the a la carte is reasonable for the standard of food! We'll be back next Sunday!!

1 Thank Gemfoster