“Another Fab Night”

Bob's Smithy Inn and Old Forge Restaurant
Ranked #18 of 548 Restaurants in Bolton
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Family run country Pub and Restaurant serving pub lunches and evening dining in our A La Carte Restaurant all our food is cooked with local produce. Our food is all cooked from fresh by trained chefs.
Reviewed May 19, 2013

The food at The Old Forge just gets better and better. Seven of us dined there on Saturday night and the food was out of this world.I had cod cheecks and chips to start and it was fantastic the tartare sauce was homemade and not out of a jar. A few had white onion and garlic soup which they said was perfect. My main of halibut on mushroom rissotto was outstanding. Someone had the wild boar which looked amazing a few others had the t-bone steak which were cooked just right. We don't usually have a dessert but decided to try the orange creme brulee which I've got to admit was brilliant.We were looked after so well by both the wiatresses and Jordan. We went into the pub just to finish the night off and the atmosphere in there was really good. Can't wait to go back. If you have'nt visited yet you have got to give it a go you won't be disappionted.

1  Thank Joanne M

Reviewed May 13, 2013

Another fab night at the Bob's Smithy. It was my birthday so John, my dad and myself all went for a meal. We weren't disappointed as usual and Lorraine gave me a birthday card which was really nice. The food was delicious - Dad and me had the cod loin with fresh vegetables and round chips (my Dad only likes one veg - they always accommodate his wishes and just gave him carrots not al dente but soft as requested). The fish was succulent and beautifully cooked, and John had the chicken breast which he said was superb. We didn't have a sweet as John had taken a chocolate cake up (with just 3 candles) so we had some of that. We left the rest with the staff which I hope they enjoyed.

Again, we had a great night, the restaurant was full and the atmosphere was lively and fun. Thanks again Lorraine, Stuart and Jordan for a smashing birthday bash!!!

1  Thank Traveller732
Reviewed May 11, 2013

We dined here last weekend. While the food for a pub was a little on the pricey side you could in no way fault the quality. The staff were efficient and friendly and made you feel extremely welcome. I would thoroughly recommend to anybody this lovely old fashioned looking yet contemporary pub.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

As we couldn't, be bothered to cook,we went on a whim .
We were not disappointed.
The food was fresh,tasty,well presented.
The atmosphere was buzzing
We were served by charming waitresses
We really enjoyed our eating experience.
We will return
And recommend you do too

Reviewed April 21, 2013

We went with our friends who had dined here before and have got to say the food was excellent and freshly cooked. The service we found was very good not rushed which is how we like it so you know it was being prepared individually. There is a very good cosy atmosphere in the smaller than usual restaurant, which we really liked though you are not on top of anyone else.
There is a good choice of wine at reasonable prices along with a good choice of real ales that the Bob Smithy is famous for in the area.

Would certainly recommend the Old Forge, the Food prices are not cheap but worth it for the quality.