“Wonderful place, run by wonderful people.”

Fred Dibnah Heritage Centre
Ranked #2 of 53 things to do in Bolton
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I took my Husband here as a surprise birthday present and he loved it. From my first e-mail with Leon, he has been really helpfull. Recommending local hotels for us to stay in the night we went to the Centre. From the momemt we arrived until we left almost 3 hours later we were enthrawled. Leon has a fantastic knowledge of Fred and his place. We were overjoyed when Alf turned up and gave us an insight into this fantastic bloke. Between them they had us hooked from the very first story, (and there were a lot of them).

I had a trapped nerve in my neck and was in a lot of pain, so i was given as very comfotable seat by Leon, which was moved from one spot to another for me. We had a lovely and much welcome cup of tea in Freds kitchen and we saw the downstairs of his house, its beautiful, like stepping back in time. I cannot rate this place and the people more highly, they have a passion that is rare nowadays, if you love Fred as we do, its the place to go. We spent a lovely afternoon enthrawled, it was cold outside but we did not mind, the workshop was so warm, its heated by the original boiler from Betsy, his prized steam roller and looks fantastic.

If you get the chance to come down and see this place, please do so, you will not regret it. My Husband said it was the best birthday present he had ever had. We walked into the Town Centre to see the statue of Fred. I thought it would be normal sized but its huge, about 9 foot tall. We need to support places like this, as its our past and we need to preserve it, or it will be lost. Go along and learn something about steam and all things Fred, we did and loved it. Thank you Leon and Alf for making our trip worthwhile.

4  Thank minidriver28

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Very interesting. You can learn a lot. Fred was a very clever man. Good place to take your children and grand children. Fun for all ages.

2  Thank Pam H
Reviewed January 11, 2013

We visited inSeptember 2010 having prebooked and paid the sum of £12.00 each a couple of days before.The centre is actually quite small and if you have seen some of the t.v progs as quite a drop down to the river making it more amazing how Fred built his small empire there plus the steep gradient he had to overcome with his engine and roller.It is a very interesting place and it just looks as though Fred has just popped out, maybe to the pub, the only things that are missing are Fred the roller,the engine and land rover even some of his Fred style jumpers are hung up in the engine shed,a little mucky and burnt though.The guide and owner of the Heritage Centre Leon escorts you around and tells stories and tales about Fred whilst he is doing this plus more tales in the engine shed.The visit was made better due to Mrs Shelia Dibnah being there at the time,a lovely lady also with lots to say about Fred, she also showed us around the ground floor of the house,a good and memorable couple of hours.I believe the Heritage Centre is for sale as now (2013) for the sum of £1.25 million.When we left we paid our respects to Fred and visited his grave,not an elaborate grave but adorned with cans of guiness,spanners ,nuts and bolts and rivets. R.I.P. Fred we miss you.

3  Thank b j w
Reviewed November 27, 2012

The Fred Dibnah Heritage Centre

Situated less than a mile outside Bolton town centre you will find the Fred Dibnah Heritage Centre.
If you liked Fred, If you like Britain’s industrial heritage. Or if you just like rust, then this is the place for you.

It is quite a small place all tours are guided so you have to book in advance.
You get a fascinating insight in to the mind of one of northern England's greatest characters. Our guide, Leon, could I am sure have told tales of Fred and his antics well in to the night, but the tour lasted two hours and I think that's about right for most people.

His house and yard are preserved Fred style so don't expect a museum, this was a working environment and is kept such, although how Fred found any of his tools is beyond me.
We started with a tour of the yard where we were told of Fred's plans, how he worked his ancient steam powered machines and made his parts for his projects and his steam engines.
We learned about his life as a steeplejack a bit about his home life too.
A welcome cup of tea was on hand and we made our way in to his house, then on to his main workshop for yet more tails of hitting chunks of iron with big hammers and getting filthy in the process. The smell of grease and oil and the heat from the wood burning boiler brought things to life.
If Fred Dibnah was the Elvis of Bolton then this is Graceland....Great Fun.

Don't forget to visit Fred's statue in Bolton town centre. A lovely little town and worth adding to your day out.

Enjoy!

4  Thank KayNob
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Passionate and friendly volunteers, very welcoming .They have so much knowledge that everyone needs to go learn whilst you can. It was a cold an wet day but where offered tea and biscuits and warm place to sit.

3  Thank buggy_bolton