“A different expierience...”

Fred Dibnah Heritage Centre
Ranked #2 of 52 things to do in Bolton
Reviewed November 27, 2012

The Fred Dibnah Heritage Centre

Situated less than a mile outside Bolton town centre you will find the Fred Dibnah Heritage Centre.
If you liked Fred, If you like Britain’s industrial heritage. Or if you just like rust, then this is the place for you.

It is quite a small place all tours are guided so you have to book in advance.
You get a fascinating insight in to the mind of one of northern England's greatest characters. Our guide, Leon, could I am sure have told tales of Fred and his antics well in to the night, but the tour lasted two hours and I think that's about right for most people.

His house and yard are preserved Fred style so don't expect a museum, this was a working environment and is kept such, although how Fred found any of his tools is beyond me.
We started with a tour of the yard where we were told of Fred's plans, how he worked his ancient steam powered machines and made his parts for his projects and his steam engines.
We learned about his life as a steeplejack a bit about his home life too.
A welcome cup of tea was on hand and we made our way in to his house, then on to his main workshop for yet more tails of hitting chunks of iron with big hammers and getting filthy in the process. The smell of grease and oil and the heat from the wood burning boiler brought things to life.
If Fred Dibnah was the Elvis of Bolton then this is Graceland....Great Fun.

Don't forget to visit Fred's statue in Bolton town centre. A lovely little town and worth adding to your day out.

Enjoy!

4  Thank KayNob
There are newer reviews for Fred Dibnah Heritage Centre

Reviewed November 25, 2012

Passionate and friendly volunteers, very welcoming .They have so much knowledge that everyone needs to go learn whilst you can. It was a cold an wet day but where offered tea and biscuits and warm place to sit.

3  Thank buggy_bolton
Reviewed November 23, 2012

If you are a fan of Fred Dibnah or just intereted in hearing a good story this is the place to go. The cost is £12 (in 2012) for which I and the group I was with were given a 2.1/2 tour of his workshops and house. During this time you hear stories about Fred and 'his ways'. All very amusing and recommended.

You need to book before you go as the number of visitors are limited and at the time I went their was 1 tour per day starting at 2pm.

Well recommended.

3  Thank Astro10
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Just visited and it was lovely, the guide was a big fan of Fred and very knowledgable with lots of stories. Free tea, coffee and biscuits included in the tour price. It was quirky and with the log burner and small gift shop it was a perfect way to spend a few hours on an autumn afternoon.

4  Thank 871Hreed
Reviewed October 12, 2012

A pleasure to meet Leon and his wife,Fred was very lucky to have such people passionate enough to continue his dream. NOT an easy task,Leon has overcome many hurdles,and is not a cheap excersise. I reckon Fred would give him his medal for what they have achieved so far.
Enthusiastic volunteers also help restore and maintain the place and we were lucky to have Mark as a tour guide. Alf turned up !!, and posed with us for photos. Sure, the machinery is not all working, if it had, it would have been removed , and not sold with the property. Because everything was left 'as is' Leon saw the potential to save what will in future will be a unique attraction to all engineers and steam followers in the future.
The visit exceeded my expectations and I now consider myself 'privaledged' to have visited the site. 'Thank you',Leon, Mark and Alf for a good afternoon, and back in Sydney i will be able to make some of my Aussie steam mates envious.
I wish you well in the future because sure as hell ,you deserve it!
Best wishes Maurice Brown