“Fantastic meal, great staff”
Review of Momentum - CLOSED

Momentum
Cuisines: British
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
York, United Kingdom
“Fantastic meal, great staff”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I'd never been here before and for some reason didn't expect much, maybe it is the location I'm not sure really. One thing I do know is my expectations were exceeded. I like the set up of the restaurant, pleasant staff, great menu (including altering a few dishes to suit certain specific tastes). We had a great meal and went away very satisfied with all aspects. Will return again soon.

• Visited October 2012

Westhoughton, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

This is the second time my wife and I have ate at Momentum, the first was a themed tapas evening when Momentum first opened, we both enjoyed it however they didn't have very many vegetarian options for my wife and we left a little disappointed.
We decided to give it another go on a Saturday night and we didn't regret it, for starter we had the melted goat's cheese with salad and honey and thyme sauce which was wonderful, for main I had the rump of lamb with rosemary my wife had the home made cheese pie which we both thoroughly enjoyed, we had a bottle of sparkling Laurent Breban wine which was very reasonably priced.
After the meal we had a lovely cocktail served in the bar, all in all we had a great evening and no doubt will go back again.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank rauschaxleman
“Disappointing”
Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

This was our second visit to Momentum and we were really looking forward to a quality dining experience as the previous time was excellent, this time however was a major disappointment. As we entered the restaurant we went to the bar for a drink before dining, we were asked if we had a table booked and were told to take a seat and somebody would be over to take our drinks order, 10 minutes later and with the bar staff chatting between themselves I went to the bar and ordered our drinks, not the best start!
Looking at the menu we were impressed with the selection and decided to have the roast king scallops and baked goats cheese starter, couldn't fault the goats cheese but some of scallops weren't cooked through fully and as I found out later that evening were not fresh either!!!
For our mains I had the Rib eye steak and my partner had the potato gnocchi, I asked for my steak rare which arrived medium, and the potato gnocchi was missing the sticky walnuts and blue cheese. My partner politely asked the waitress about the missing components to her dish and it was taken away, she returned shortly after and apologised that the menu had recently been changed but there was blue cheese in the sauce which is an insult to our taste buds obviously, however with the addition of the 2 missing ingredients the dish was beautiful.
Couldn't fault the choice of wine, we had two bottles of the New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, but that isn't exactly hard to mess up. The final bill came just short of £130 which I think is reasonable these days, however it felt like a waste of money at the end of the night, I just wish now that I had complained on the night.
I was so disappointed with the meal that I felt that I had to write this review and hope it will be helpful.

1 Thank Andrew B
Bolton, UK
“Fantastic restaurant on my doorstep”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Been twice now both on a Friday night and once with the girls and this most recent visit with my boyfriend and both times the service and staff were brilliant, good fun, chatty but didn't constantly mither you to see if everything ok (like they do at Lucianos at the millstone in chorley another brilliant restaurant but you get mithered to death!!) the food is excellent as are the cocktails and ambience, I love it here!! Yes bit expensive but you get what you pay for in my view!! Cost £82 we had starters and mains (sirloin steak with peppered sauce cooked to perfection and huge steak!!) Great chunky chips too and the sauce was divine! I had three cocktails and my boyfriend had three beers so not bad considering it was a great night out!!

Bolton, United Kingdom
“rather expensive, food rather poor”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

The atmosphere here was lively and warm with an inviting, open fire. The wait staff were all very friendly and attentive and the cocktails were superb.

I'm afraid that is where the praise ends. This restaurant is very pricey at approx £6-8 per starter and £20 for a steak. I am very willing to pay this if the food is good enough but I'm sorry to say that it was just average.

We waited 40 minutes for our starters and had finished a bottle of wine by the time they arrived. We then waited another 40 minutes for our mains and were well on our way towards finishing our second bottle by the time they arrived. I don't mind waiting if the food is excellent but it really wasn't.

The dishes were well presented but lacked on taste. My husband's tomato soup was very watery and my goat cheese was warm on top but cold underneath as it was placed on top of cold beetroot salad. My medium-rare rib-eye steak was definitely medium-well (and no, the waitress hadn't misheard my order because she definitely said 'medium-rare' before serving it to me). The meat was only about a centimetre thick and the onion rings were very scrappy. I really hate to leave negative reviews but I have to say that I've had nicer at Wetherspoon's.

On the plus side, the manager was kind enough to give us a cocktail at the end of our meal as we were celebrating a birthday.

Overall I would perhaps return here for the weekday market menu or for a cocktail or two but for the main menu food? No. All night I kept saying to myself, 'This is okay but it's the same price as Nick's and it just doesn't compare. Nick's (5 mins away) has never failed to make my mouth water and has beautiful succulent steaks that are perfect every time.

Very sorry Momentum.