“Value for money”

Ranked #54 of 542 Restaurants in Bolton
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Looking for somwhere to eat whilst in bolton on a business trip on 29 may 2013 we came across the red lion pub. I can recommend this place to anyone looking for a good meal. The food was great and the staff were very friendly and couldn't have been any more helpful.

There are newer reviews for Red Lion

Reviewed May 28, 2013

The food is ok here, but the service is just appalling! We went on 23/5/2013. We would not have gone as we were already boycotting the place for an earlier poor meal, but we went with family. The first time we went for a meal, they forgot my 2 year olds order. Apparently i must not have asked for it as it was not on my reciept (which I did not notice). I would not have forgotten to order my only child's dinner. I was told I would have to go and rejoin the queue and re-order his dinner, whilst my dinner sat going cold. By the time I had re-ordered his dinner everybody else had finished their dinner and my son was very upset that his dinner had not come, it was another 15 minutes by the time it arrived. On this most recent occassion we queued for 15-20 mins to order (there was only one girl taking orders who informed people there was a 30 minute wait for food - no apology) The food was mediocre when it arrived. The pub had quietened down towards the end of the meal so we decided to order deserts for the children. 45 minutes later no deserts had arrived, we complained twice and over an hour after ordering them the eventually arrived after we had said if we didn't get them now we wanted our money back as it was now nearly 9pm ( we had been there since 6pm) and we had 4 young children with us he needed to get to bed. When the first desert came (a tub of jelly straight from the fridge!) it was wrong and when I told the girl this she huffed and snatched it back. I couldn't understand why it took an hour to put jelly and ice cream in a bowl, and we would have given up waiting for this sooner but we didn't want to upset the kids who were looking forward to their deserts. I will not be going back here again!

1  Thank JPo397
Reviewed May 28, 2013

not a place to enjoy a quiet meal and although the food is usually good value and edible the pub needs shutting down for a couple of weeks to be refurbished but i am afraid it will not happen as the place is always packed

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Food splashed on the wall by our table didn't make for a good first impression. Food reasonable, but not so cheap, especially when compared to what you get. Place way past it's sell by date, needs major re-build. Don't bother drive past.

Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

Used to come here all the time when the kids used the WW. I remember when my children were younger, ate well and played after. Now it's filled with kids with kids who are busy getting drunk while their offspring play catch the burger. The food is cold and of poor standard,the staff look like they want to hang themselves or be buried alive in the ballpool. Get rid of the Chavs who use this place to get smashed while their brats tear the place to shreds. Shame really, I have great memories of this place. One plus; if you can't get tickets for the Jeremy Kyle show, get a pint, pull up a chair and witness Britains finest.