“Very poor”

Ranked #53 of 548 Restaurants in Bolton
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Food splashed on the wall by our table didn't make for a good first impression. Food reasonable, but not so cheap, especially when compared to what you get. Place way past it's sell by date, needs major re-build. Don't bother drive past.

Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

Used to come here all the time when the kids used the WW. I remember when my children were younger, ate well and played after. Now it's filled with kids with kids who are busy getting drunk while their offspring play catch the burger. The food is cold and of poor standard,the staff look like they want to hang themselves or be buried alive in the ballpool. Get rid of the Chavs who use this place to get smashed while their brats tear the place to shreds. Shame really, I have great memories of this place. One plus; if you can't get tickets for the Jeremy Kyle show, get a pint, pull up a chair and witness Britains finest.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

Went there 4.30pm until 7.30pm Thursday 7th March 2013, there were 4 adults and 4 children with us. The children went into the play area and had a great time we orderded food which came after about 30 minutes all correct and hot. The food was standard chain pub fayre but couldn't complain as like I said it was hot and correct to our order and for the price what do some people want? The place was clean and tidy and the staff polite and pleasant. We left behind a £60 Global Kitchen knife we used to cut a birthday cake, when we rang up the manager told us the staff had found it and she had it ready for me to collect, which was a relief to say the least.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

The Red Lion is vast with play barn, bar and dining areas. Its a mish-mash of converted buildings with a warren of steps, corridors and dark seating areas. Overall, a soulless feel makes this not a pleasant environment to eat in. Some dust and cobwebs noted and overall feels tired, definitely in need of a refit or at least a good cleaning. Despite this the place was packed which may explain the chaotic and disorganised service - tables not cleared, dirty cutlery, missing condiments, incorrect orders. Food was well-priced but definitely cheap and cheerful. The menu is vast and alludes to a kitchen with deep fryer / microwave and grill. Although cheap, for me the quality just wasn‘t there. Instant mash, luke-warm peas, tepid ribs, tasteless gloopy gravy. Food service staff did their best but bar staff were largely unhelpful and surly. It is possible to serve value food in a pleasant, well-maintained environment with decent service and others do it much better than this.

1  Thank Digby98
Reviewed February 24, 2013

As we found a table and sat down it was a mess not just our table but the whole place I went to the bar to order our food as the young bar staff was to busy aruging amongst thereself they didn't notice I was there for atleast 5minutes. As her cocky attiude stated there would be a 45minute wait for food I said I would rather wait somewhere clean and friendly and walked out!