“Strawbury duck is hard to find”
Review of The Strawbury Duck

The Strawbury Duck
Ranked #70 of 554 Restaurants in Bolton
Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed May 12, 2013

The strawbury duck is lovely place with a very nice atmosphere. I found the food to be very good and plentiful. The staff where very pleasant and helpful. We had a problem finding the place going off google instructions was not helpful.

1  Thank caroledenny

Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

The food is all homemade and was lovely. We had lunch, tea and breakfast here. All of the meals were fantastic and we will be returning. I love the cakes they have in the bar for sale too. A lovely place for a nice walk too.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Called in here with friends when in the area at lunchtime. The food was well cooked and very tasty, but the menu was on the expensive side.
The thing that really surprised me was that there is no disabled toilet on the premises (due to a bad back at the time this would have made life a lot easier for me) which would be a real problem for anyone in a wheelchair or with very limited mobility.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

I simply cannot understand the good reviews on here. My partner and I arrived here at 8.30pm and asked if we could have a table for two, in which we were told this would be possible if we ordered within 10 minutes - even though there was another half hour left of service. Despite the waitress being quite short about this we decided that we would comply. We continued to order our drinks at the bar and then were left to find ourselves a table without any instruction of where would be best to sit. Once we found a suitable table the waitress came over within a couple of minutes to take our order, given the size of the menu and the time we were left to read through it we hadn’t even looked at half of the menu yet so she left us for another few minutes to decide. We ordered a starter each and a main, for my main I ordered a chicken burger. Underneath this it gives options to add onion rings, bacon or cheese for an extra £1 so I asked for the added onion rings. My partner ordered the Lancashire Cheese and Leek Sausages. After a few minutes the waitress returned to tell us there wasn’t any of the sausages my partner wanted, so he changed it to the other sausage and mash dish on the menu without fuss. This wasn’t a problem, however this waitress (a different one to the first) was uninterested and rude, there was no apology and it seemed like we were putting them out of their way rather than us spending our hard earned money for a service. Upon asking for the other sausage and mash dish she muttered a reply in which we couldn’t hear as her back was turned to us as she was walking away. We wanted to leave at this point but given the good reviews on the food we decided to stay, and by this point it was 8.45pm so we didn’t want to be a pain (due to the time) in another restaurant. In retrospect I wish we had left. Our starters came out and so we tucked in with hope the food was better than the service. They weren’t terrible but they weren’t great either. My partner had finished his starter and I was close to finishing mine, when a bowl of onion rings turned up on our table. Before I could say anything about her obvious mistake, the waitress had put down the bowl and walked away. We eventually got her attention and explained that I wanted the onion rings with my burger. Clearly I didn’t want them when I was close to finishing my prawn starter! She uttered no word of an apology just simply took away the bowl. When our mains arrived (a few minutes apart) the plates were set down and again the waitress took off without asking if we wanted any condiments etc… as it happens, yes I wanted vinegar and a sauce. However, by this point I didn’t want to be there anymore so didn’t ‘bother’ her. As far as the food was concerned my partner was very disappointed with his meal and the chicken breast on my burger was small and extremely dry, I doubt my dog would have eaten it. I attempted to disguise this by smothering the Cajun mayo (that comes with it) on the ‘burger’ – but surprise surprise, this didn’t work so we called over one of the waitresses. We told her the burger was dry and we would like her to take it back, she looked dumbfounded and finally mustered up ‘do you want another?’ quite frankly, no I did not. She took away the plate and left my partner to finish his meal. AGAIN there was no apology and no courtesy to ask if everything was ok with the other meal at the table. Once he had finished we waited at least 25 minutes for them to clear the table. Eventually we decided it would be best to make our way to the bar to begrudgingly pay for this disaster. When she gave the bill to us it had on it the chicken burger! Which she removed after we politely refused to pay for it, she then gave us the corrected balance with a bad attitude and yet again lack of any sign of an apology. As we left our table was still untouched. In hindsight we should have taken more notice when 'I hope you haven't come for the food' was said to us by a table (that had just eaten) as we entered.

4  Thank Tickle88
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I called into the Strawbury Duck to kill an hour or so on a Monday evening, before going to stay with friends. Nestled between The Wayoh and Entwistle reservoirs the setting couldn't be more perfect and on arrival the smells drifting from the kitchen were enticing. Inside was comfortable and congenial and i was greeted as i walked through the door. Sophie, at the bar, was most welcoming and accommodating and couldn't do enough for me. Any bar that serves Black Sheep, amongst other quality ales, is one worth a look and one with such pleasant bar staff is one that i will happily spend time at. It wasn't long before i had forgotten about my friends and had decided to stay for something to eat. The duck burger with onion rings and cajun fries was as good as i had realised i had been expecting. Many hours passed and eventually i reluctantly had to leave (I had even considered a room for the night but my friends had waited long enough!) A most pleasant evening, made that way thanks to the professional, warm and friendly staff. I will definitely be returning.