“Strawberry Duck, Entwistle”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Strawberry Duck, Entwistle”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

After a particularly wet walk we found a warm welcome at the Strawberry Duck. It was warm, with fires glowing and the service was quick, efficient and friendly despite being busy. Wet dogs were made welcome and even provided with treats. The atmosphere was good and the food was freshly cooked and delicious. So much better than the last time I went which was some time ago. I think it is under different management now. Would definitely recommend a visit.

• Visited January 2013

Bolton, United Kingdom
“christmas lunch”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Well Done SD, we had a fantastic Christmas Lunch and even though you were mowed under it was served well and with a smile, the food was lovely and altogether we had a great time and will be back soon. Nice one. Barons of Harwood

Manchester, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“What a shame”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Can not believe how bad this Great Pub has gone, could not book a table, tried from 9am - 11.30am to book, only the cleaner answered & obviously she could not help, finally when the phone was answered I was told I did not need to book.
Menu reads great.... The product that us delivered is not........ That is when it is delivered......we ordered some nibbles while we looked at the menu......it took 35 minutes before they arrived......which was 3 minute before my started arrived! The mini pie nibble was dry & over cooked which is a shame, if the Chef had paid a little more attention it would have been great.
The bought in scampi nibble was also on the dark brown side......come on guys it's only opening a bag! I know it's Christmas.
Starter
The haddock fish cake was homemade & very average.....but the tar tar sauce was very good not sure if the mayo was homemade but it was excellent.......pity about the rest.
Mains,
Cheese pie was mainly baked cheese with bought in pastry top plonked on the top....so not really a pie....the sort of thing you get in a large chain pub... But in the large chain pub you don't get that much cheese in your pie.....but you also don't get the 1/2 inch of grease floating on the top, I suspect our Chef who burnt the mini pies had struck again! As the top had clearly been replaced for a previous burt offing.......I wonder if he is a distant relation of King Harold .....?
Angus burger was my choice , I asked for it pink.......I guess it was at one point in its life.... But not when it arrive at my table...standard sesame bun, slab of cheese & bacon that had been cooked through a low oven ....so the bacon was as dry as a nuns chuff & the fat was as crisp as a poached pear! Lightly cooked chips ... Obviously not cooked by my favourite chef....unfortunately
Dessert
We didn't have any for two carefully considered reasons.......1, the rest of the meal was crap...
2, the restaurant was that cold I was freezing my nuts off.
We paid & left.
Beer was good, Brandy was served in a Brandy Glass which is unusual according to my lunch mate, decor good, location great.
This is a great shame as it used to be a great place to eat :(

“world class gastro pub”
Reviewed December 6, 2012

i was taken to the strawbury duck by friends i visited in bolton on sat 1st december,i LOVED it,it had a totally organic ambience the minute i walked in,an authentic country eatery with lovely views from the window,the menu was diverse to say the least and we did'nt order for 45 minutes as all choices seemed so tempting,i finally ordered the goosnarh duck which was perfectly cooked and presented,service was excellent,plus the football results were on in the corner always a bonus! GO BACK? without a doubt

• Visited November 2012
Bolton, United Kingdom
“Disappointingly poor and bad attitude of manager & chef”
Reviewed December 4, 2012

We have just returned from a disappointing meal at the Strawberry Duck, it seems that the place is starting to decline again! I found hard wood like pieces in my steak & ale pie, they hurt my mouth and really where too hard to chew and ignore. On pulling the pieces out the hard wood like texture alarmed. If it was a child eating them then there was a definite risk of choking, even an adult would need to be careful. The waitress was lovely about it but sadly response from chef & manager via waitress was its the "sinew of the meet gone hard and there is nothing they can do about it, that's how it sometimes cooks". I stated that it had really put me off my food and that I was upset with their response, waitress went away only to come back and say there is nothing they can do about it. I think she felt bad and knocked my coffee off the bill and gave us some extra cheese! I spent £37 on sausage and mash, a really hideous tasteless steak& ale pie (the worst I've ever had) that in no way tasted of ale and a cheeseboard, 2 beers and a coffee and small red wine. The red wine was freezing, but I had totally given up with the pubs attitude to the value of my custom. I'm really sad about this has I've been a lot in the past couple of years and felt like the pub was showing real promise. On top of today's problems my previous visit had resulted in me getting 2 very sticky, solid undercooked corn fritters. Then Ii asked could they just replace these and wasn't too bothered that time - as one mistake you can easily accept. But it's not even the Quality of the served meal that really got me today it's knowing that the manager and chef did not even say sorry or grace me with their presence and made it really clear to me as a customer that I'm just not that important to them and neither is the quality of my experience as a whole let alone the food. I had thought when I went in there today that I might treat my husband to a night there then he could eat and be merry and relax by the fire all afternoon and evening. This was definitely not an option when I left. I have to say the bar staff/waitress was lovely and really tried but she is massively let down by the attitudes of her manager and chef. Shame. Terrible value for money really when you are made to pay approximately £10 for a pie that is really bad. And obviously the attitude is if its not good then don't complain because apparently that's just the way it cooks... funny that I've never had a steak pie with bits of very hard wood like textured inedible sinew in it before. Also I'd like to add that this place was really quiet about six customers total in the 2.5 hours I was there and the chef and manager where most definitely not too rushed off their feet to give me a little of their time which surely would of made good business sense. They obviously didn't care. Oh and it wasn't that clean either. Dirty hard wax melted all over my table.

3 Thank MissGT68