“In need of some serious upgrading”

Smithills Open Farm
Ranked #3 of 57 things to do in Bolton
Reviewed August 23, 2012

On visiting we found the place down a potholed rough track.
The tiny pens were filthy and the smell was eye watering........now before anyone says anything about farms being smelly.....I spent many a day on my Grans cattle farm and as a working farm, my grans place was much cleaner and safer.

We found plastic bottles and rubbish in the animal feed troughs (i removed this!) the animal pens were just filthy.
The hand washing points were dirty and strewen with used hand towels.
Pens were unsecured (we stopped a young boy from letting the goats escape!)
Staff stood around chatting like it was a holiday camp..........the guy in the hut near the birds of prey sat on a chair with his feet up on his desk watching TV!!!!!
The only member of staff who seemed to care was doing a talk on animals (near the main entramce)........that was the only good thing there.
The animals looked seriously miserable, the whole day made me feel deflated to say the least!

1  Thank Lotty73
in 12 reviews
"value for money"
in 41 reviews

Reviewed August 18, 2012

We had our daughters fourth birthday party at Smithills Farm and from beginning to end we had a great time. Staff were excellent and led the party well with lots of activities to keep the children entertained. Good birthday food - not the usual cheapest brand spread but lots of different sandwiches , Cadbury mini rolls, fairy cakes and a huge fruit platter with melon, strawberries and grapes. Excellent value for money and staff could not do enough to help and make the day special.

1  Thank Clare F
Reviewed August 17, 2012

You are not supposed to feed the horses at this place, but there are no signs to inform you of this and they willingly sell you the food, again with no information on what to and what not to feed. The horse bit and would not let go of my 2 year old's thumb and I had to thump it for it to let go. The bleeding wound was then dressed in the kitchen over food that was ready to be served in the restaurant. My daughter was understandably traumatised by this and as we had only been there 10 mins I asked for a refund. The extremely rude and aggressive manageress told me where to go in no uncertain terms.

8  Thank Klinkerhorn
Reviewed August 15, 2012

This is by far the best place to take your children, and I have treked around everywhere with them over the summer holidays - it's just fab, even when it's raining.

The staff are fantastic and just can't do enough to ensure the kids are kept occupied, there are 2 bouncy castles, mini tractors for them to ride. Donkey rides, loads of indoor and outdoor picnic areas - you can feed all the animals and buy the food in little bags on your way in for 50p per bag (bargin)

They have a seated area (straw) :) where everyone sits and the staff talk about the animals and bring them out snakes and owls and you can pet them all. The animals are sooo tame and friendly, honestly I'm in the wrong job :) You can watch the cows being milked at 1pm, believe me the adults were just as interested, the kids just stood there open mouthed :)

So hygienic, wash stations for the children to wash their hands after pettin/feeding the animals were dotted everywhere

All for £5 what a lovely little place set in beautiful surroundings. Thankyou all that work there for such a wonderful day

1  Thank Wrightshell
See more reviews
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We visited here upon reccomendation from a friend, upon arrival we paid for entry (£6 for adults and children £5 over the age of 2) and animal food was £1 per bag so we got as we diddn't think we would have enough; however we took 1 bag home as there was plenty.
There was a meet the animals demonstraion and the children are given the opportunity to feed lambs, hold rabbits, chickens, etc and stroke lots of other animals.
There is also tracktor rides which is lots of fun for the kids.
You do not have to eat on site as there is a large outdoor picnic area therefore keeping costs down.
Overall this is deffinately worth a visit for adults and children alike.

1  Thank walesy