“Fabulous extremely tasty food with great attentive service.”
Review of Sottovento

Sottovento
Ranked #94 of 554 Restaurants in Bolton
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I ate here last night and the food was highly delicious and very satisfying.I have eaten here three times now and have never had a bad experience.The waiters are very attentive but not in your face.A far cry fron help yourself dining!

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Once a year I get together with 7 friends and we always go here.
The welcome you receive is lovely. Nothing is ever too much trouble and they have even cooked things for us that are no longer on the menu.
We all enjoy different food so I can speak for us all when we say the menu is varied and always hot, well presented and tasty.
From a steak to sea bass or a simple pizza we have never been disappointed.
We will be making our annual visit next month and I for one cannot wait.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

We went here over the weekend with my family (including 2 small children), we were warmly welcomed from the moment we entered the restaurant. The staff were very nice and attentive and the service was very efficient. We ordered steaks, lasagne and pizza and they were excellent even my children ate the lasagne, Amazing. I can not fault sottovento at all the staff, food, service and atmosphere were the best iv ever experienced and iv been to alot. Will definately recomend to everyone and will be definately going back.

1  Thank kkeskin
Reviewed September 23, 2013

7 of us went to Sottovento yesterday for a Birthday Meal. This place came highly recommended from friends and my wife has visited on a number of occasions and enjoyed them all.
Service was attentive, we we were greeted warmly at the door, nothing wrong here then. Everybody ordered a drink but the waiter had to be called back as he had missed one of us!!
Nothing to complain about so far...but then the food came, the boys had bruschetta to start which was flavourless and unappetising followed by Pizza which was of seriously poor quality, really akin to supermarket own brand frozen stuff, now my boys are both big 15 year old eaters but even they left large chunks of their meals...highly unusual. The father in law had a lovely sirloin, cooked very well...but if you order a steak cooked with no herbs or sauces you should really get what you asked for and the waiter agreed to provide...did we? Nope, covered in pepper and herbs and had to be scraped clean in order to be eaten.
I fared better on the starter front having a very nice black pudding number from the specials board, things were looking up maybe. Then came the main course, Lasagne, Oh dear. Dear, Oh Dear. Now we are really into frozen Supermarket own brand quality. I have never had a Lasagne as poor as this before, ridiculously hot, totally textureless and tasteless. There was really nothing positive about it all, it really was an iron bowl of red superheated sludge.
After my main, I really couldn't cope with the thought of spending good money on any of the pretty obviously bought in puddings that I had seen cling filmed up ion the fridge.
My wife fared a little better, after 3 revisits from the waiter tro check that she really, really wanted what she had ordered she got the risotto, for her it was overcooked and mushy but at least edible.
To be fair the two year old really, really enjoyed her melon starter and chicken nuggets and chips, I really wished I had had her meal and not my own.

In short, when you have spent £130+ on a meal and your mature 15 year old kids, who love eating out and do so regularly, say they would rather have gone to Pizza Hut, your in-laws say 'never gain', your wife says 5/10 at best you know that really something is wrong. If only your two year old had good food that they enjoyed, something is wrong.

Maybe we had an unusually bad experience, may be they were having a bad day.

Will we go back? Sadly, No. Would we recommend the Sottovento? Sadly, No.

1  Thank Andy C
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Been to the restaurant on lots of occasions with my partner mainly for a treat, the food is always good quality and the staff are friendly and always happy to help, the feel of the restaurant is always relaxing , price is very reasonable , my only recommendation for this little gem is the desserts what a let down, only tiramisu homemade , all other puddings are pre-bought and placed in microwave for heating total let down, over all I love this restaurant but always have starter and main,please please update the desserts to homemade!!!