“Gone downhill since changed hands”
Review of Sottovento

Sottovento
Ranked #95 of 542 Restaurants in Bolton
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 28, 2011

We used to love coming here and made a reservation for christmas eve,we paid a £20 deposit and booked for 5pm,we got there bang on time only to find the restaurant and bar smelling of cleaning fluid,it was also freezing!!! We were a family of 8 and ordered our food,the kids menu as £4.95 and excellent value,this was the only plus point.
The food and service has gone right downhill,i ordered the sottovento,the beef was very fatty and i only got two pieces of salami on my pizza! The meat on my mothers meal was also fatty.
The service was hit and miss,they have a habit of pouring your wine ( i personally dislike this) and overall slow.
Worse was they gave us the bill and didn't take our deposit off,they soon rectified this though and apologised.
Wont be back in a hurry.

1  Thank adf1999
SottoventoRestaurant, Owner at Sottovento, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2012

Thank you for your review, I am sorry you did not enjoy your recent visit to our restaurant. When you arrived at the restaurant it had just been cleaned, this shows how important hygiene is for us. Our central heating was put on 1 hour before the restaurant opened, we have not received any complaints about the heating.
I have spoken with my staff and checked back on the cctv footage. My barmaid took you to the bar area and served drinks to you straight away and gave you the menu. When all of your guests had arrived we took you to the table and then took your drinks order these were served to you straight away. My staff asked you if you were ready to order, after ordering your meal your starters arrived 10 minutes later. The waiters asked if everything was fine and you replied yes. When the starters were finished you asked for your main course to be served straight away. Ten minutes later your main course arrived and the waiter asked once again if you enjoyed your meal, again you replied yes. More drinks were ordered and were immediately served to your table, before your main course had finished. The reason why we ask our customers if they are enjoying their meal is to ensure that our customers receive the best service and if they are not happy we would expect them to say so at this time this is so that we can make any necessary changes. We offer a fine dining restaurant service and if you are not happy with a waiter pouring your wine then I would suggest that you advice the waiter and they would be more than happy to let you pour your own wine. I can't understand why you have entitled your review as 'Gone downhill since changed hands', as we tried our very best to please yourself and your guests. On Christmas Eve we were very busy and unfortunately we cannot win all of our customers, like you.

There are newer reviews for Sottovento

Reviewed December 26, 2011

My wife and I took my mother, our children and grandchildren (12 in all) here for Christmas dinner. We arrived on time (just) and the place was already buzzing when we got there. We were imediately shown to our table and the drinks orders were taken straight away, and served promptly. After giving us some 15 mins to settle in, orders were taken for food and again this arrived shortly thereafter with no more than a minute from first served to last. The food was exceptional as always, with plenty for all. Although the few staff on duty seemed to be running around like headless chickens, at no time did we feel we were left unattended, and as far as we could see there were no complaints from any of our fellow diners.
A great big thank you to Hakan and all his staff for making this one of the most memorable Christmas days ever.

1  Thank mickhall56
Reviewed November 3, 2011

We've been to this restaurant many times since it has opened last year, each time we been was exellent. The food is delicious, very good atmosphere and the staff is very attentive and friendly. The owner Mr Hakan a very good host and makes sure all the guests are satisfied. We definately recommend this place, once you've been I'm sure you'll go again and again. We'll be visiting again soon, can't wait for my huge grilled t-bone steak. Love this restaurant.

1  Thank 0731freestyler
Reviewed October 13, 2011

We had heard the food was expensive but Ok. What a suprise food great and the bill for drinks & food very reasonable considering the portions & quality. The restaurant & toilets, clean & warm. Good parking. Decor excellent. Staff attentive & freindly. Hr Hakan the owner is a charming & warm guy. He has the ideal to provide food & service of a style befitting some of Manchesters best. Ihave eaten in some of them, and this place shines a light. Will reccomend & return.

1  Thank rolyrat123
Reviewed June 30, 2011

We visited Sottovento on a saturday evening and it was fairly quiet.
We opted for the a la carte menu.
The starters sounded great on the menu but failed to deliver on taste.
I ordered a steak which I preffered with a salad and chips. The a la carte menu included vegatables and roast potatoes, and I was informed that I needed to pay extra to substitute the veg for salad.. The chips were thin strips just like you get at Mac Donalds

If you are going to aim as a top end Italian restaurant then they need to deliver on this concept , it was neither a pizzarea or a top restaurant, it somewhere in the middle.

We paid £84 for two average meals that included a bottle of wine