Open today: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Review Highlights
Worth a visit

Visited the museum well worth a visit. Great exhibits. The Egyptian room is very good. Interactive... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
Jennifer977
Bolton, United Kingdom
Egyptian exhibition worth seeing

Visited the museum with the objective of seeing the permanent Egyptian exhibition and wasn’t... read more

Reviewed November 9, 2018
DavidManchester107
Manchester, United Kingdom

All reviews an aquarium local history stuffed animals egyptian exhibition egyptian room egyptology section lots of interesting facts le mans rainy day free admission industrial revolution beautiful building town centre couple of hours school holidays all ages my partner
Reviewed October 14, 2018

If you visit Bolton. It is well worth a visit. As a child, 50 years ago , as a six year old, I used to visit every sat morning with 4 or five friends.

We used to go to the sat club first at the Odeon (picture house )

Then we would spend hours in the museum. I was fascinated with all the different things to look at. The most special being the Mummies in the Eygyptology and the stuffed animals.

It gave me such a fascination, many a time over the years , I visit museums around the counrty , just as I like visiting church yards. I know that it does not float everybodies boat. If you want to learn, the knowledge is there.
When my children were young, I used to take my children, unfortunately they did not want to drink, a couple of glasses was enough. They preferred goin to the fair and the park or fishing.They are far from stupid , it just did not float thei boat. I had to visit the House of Lords with one them, whilst they received an award , for his academic achievement.
These days , I probably call once a year by myself , when I have a health check up in the town centre.
I will be taking a couple of my grandchildren to visit this year.
I believe it will make a big change to playing on FORTNIGHT.
Besides Liverpool , I find this one of the best in the country.

Date of experience: August 2018
Reviewed October 14, 2018 via mobile

I’ve visited Bolton Museum as a child & then with my own children, so was apprehensive to hear it had closed down & wondered they could possibly improve it. So on my visit today, I felt humbled by the creative vision that has enhanced something good to make it just brilliant. I actually felt proud of Bolton and the ability to bring the diversity of the vast Egyptology collection & the industrial revolution together in harmony. I really hope that every person involved in this beautiful transition appreciates what a breathtaking legacy they have bequeathed to the people of Bolton & hopefully it will attract people from other towns/ cities.

Reviewed October 12, 2018

The Egyptian collection is absolutely incredible and has objects to intrigue every adult alongside lots of child friendly interactive displays. The exhibition strikes the perfect balance between intellectual and fun - a definite must see attraction

Reviewed October 8, 2018

Some birds were labelled wrong such as: there was a great tit where the blue tit was supposed to be and a gannet was in the gull section. Gannets are in their own family in Europe. Also, some of the scientific names were wrong too. E.g. the blue tit was called 'parus caeruleus' instead of 'cyanistes caeruleus' and the redstart was supposed to be called 'phoenicurus phoenicurus'.

P.S. Also, crows are actually slightly cleverer than parrots.

2  Thank yusuforme
Reviewed October 7, 2018

well it`s not as big as The Cairo Museum, but it has something that the Cairo Museum has not.
There is an area to one side, dimly lit, where it portrays the inside of a Pyramid, planked floors, paintings on the wall depicting the life of the Pharaoh.the exhibition is well worth a visit.
There is a running documentary for children which is easily watched too.
Every item is well detailed and so very interesting, in fact i can`t wait to go back to Egypt again.