All reviews course meal coach holiday visited this hotel would stay again bit dated black pudding comfy bed excellent value for money good nights sleep
Reviewed August 6, 2018 via mobile

I booked the Britannia in Bolton after looking around the area where my work was to be. On the internet it looked quite nice with reasonable reviews and it wasn’t not too expensive. Check-in was no problem, the room was basic but acceptable, I had to return to reception as there was no tv remote in the room. The hotel advertises as having a resturant, I’m not sure whether it was do to a coach party also staying there for the two night I was too, but there was a set meal that you had to be seated by 7:30pm or you couldn’t get it. More like a canteen. When I asked for a menu as I wasn’t part of the coach party, I was told I could order a bar meal. I believe there was about 5 items to choose from. Lasagne, chicken tikka, chilli, fish & chips and something else that I forget. Breakfast I cannot fault, lovely.
All in all, if you are looking for a basic hotel to rest your head on an evening, this place is adequate, if you’re looking for something a little bit more, I would suggest to look elsewhere. However, my two nights there were ok, shame about the coach party though!

Stayed: July 2018, traveled on business
2  Thank Steve H
Reviewed August 5, 2018 via mobile

A group of us stayed here recently. It may have been stylish in the 50s or 60s but it’s not just tired now, it’s exhausted!
Our room was clean and tidy but a dinosaur had been chewing at the vanity unit and the trouser press ( who needs one) fell apart in my hands! The bed was small and lumpy, again it appeared to be the vintage model. As I said, I couldn’t fault the cleanliness but others had different thoughts! The shower was good but the usual wall-mounted soap/ shampoo/ conditioner dispenser seemed to be filled with water, certainly it didn’t even foam up or clean! The walls are not soundproof and our neighbours had a party with much fun and laughter till 4 am!
If you are thinking of staying here please consider that this establishment seems to be aimed at the budget coach party market. Dinner is at a fixed time and that’s it! The menu is limited and options run out quickly and are not topped up. As do the sweets! You queue for, and decant, your own soup. The rest is from a server where the portions are controlled. Mine was ok but others complained they couldn’t get what the wanted and were denied additional veg etc.
The barman can’t pronounce the names of the very few wines they sell by the bottle and the whiskies are another world to him! The seating area utilises old leather settees with slippery cloth covers so you slide around, and miss-matched chairs.

I can’t fault the breakfast, hot, fresh and plenty of it. The pre-made tea is of the builders variety, you could walk on it!
Check- in is easy, no card scan or anything as everything is cash only.

Stayed: August 2018, traveled with friends
1  Thank Bob M
Reviewed July 27, 2018

Visited family here and stayed the day and had dinner. Rooms were small, dark and average, they could definitely do with an update. The evening meal was a rip off for the price £10.95. The choice left a lot to be desired, frozen veg, smaller portions and the standard, quantity and quality was not great. The serving area resembled a very small school canteen. The jugs of water were not easily spotted and were either empty or warm and we were some of the first people in there.
It was obvious that they cater a lot for older people on their 3/5 day coach trips but even by other coach trip hotels I have met family at this was the worst one I have ever eaten at.

• Stayed: May 2018, traveled with family
1  Thank BLUE56
Reviewed July 27, 2018 via mobile

Hotel breakfast very good self service food hot and well cooked.

Evening meal mediocre edible food. No variety of vegetables same every night.

Waiting staff good cleared tables efficiently.

Room ok clean bedding and towels. Hotel rooms need a refurb as looking warn.

Went with National Holidays on a 4 day break good value but nothing to write home about

Stayed: July 2018, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gillian A
Reviewed July 19, 2018

Don’t be fooled walk through front door looks quite nice , go through doors at top of slope , ouch what a stink carpets thread bare and rooms filthy, was on coach trip so set menu choice of soup or nothing for starter oh dear we’ve run out no alternative.
Clearly the cleaning staff have no idea on how to clean as our room was filthy. I would give this hotel 0 star rating. This is the most filthiest hotel we’ve ever stayed in certainly won’t be returning!

Room Tip: Don’t bother avoid
Stayed: June 2018, traveled with family