“No choice for Dinner”

Britannia Bolton Hotel
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Bolton
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Stayed at this hotel around 18 months ago and then it did not have much to write home about, well it has not improved any. The hotel still caters mainly for bus tours, there was three the night I stayed, and although the people do not make a hotel, I feel the staff realise they are not dealing with possible clients that will return, I was asked on many occasions are you on the coach, why ??
I arrived an hour before dinner was due for last sitting and the meal selection was at that time very poor, and when I asked for more soup as the bowls were empty I was told that if it is finished it has finished for the night, one hour before the last sitting is advertised in the restaurant ??.
When I complained to the duty manager he asked ME to speak to the chef to see if he could make some more soup, your having a laugh ??
The main course was very dinner school like, and again the lack of deserts due to the people before me was very limited again.
The room was clean and comfortable again, and the hotel is in a good location just of the motorway, but I wont be back for a third visit.
I would recommend another hotel if in the area, but too bad if you are on a coach that stops here.

Room Tip: Bring your sandwiches with you.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank jman26
There are newer reviews for Britannia Bolton Hotel

Reviewed August 21, 2013

My husband and I have just returned home after staying at this hotel with National Holidays. We went with two other couples from Newcastle upon Tyne 12th August for 4 nights and after reading other reviews on Tripadvisor we were not expecting this hotel to be up to the standards of other hotels we had stayed in, but were very pleasantly surprised. We had asked for rooms together and they were. The rooms were lovely and clean and so was the bathroom. When we went down to dinner again we were pleasantly suprised the choices were good, soup or salad bar for starters then there were 3 choices for main course and also a good selection for sweet. Down side we would say is that it is a bit isolated being on the outskirts of Bolton. Happy hour ended up being just that 1 hour for all it was from 4.00pm until 8.00pm, as we did not get back into the hotel until about 5.00pm and by the time we went up to get ready for dinner and had dinner it was about 7.00pm. We also found the drinks to be expensive especially as I do not drink wine. But apart from that we found the staff to be very pleasant and very helpful. Overall we would recommend this hotel and we would stay there again a very pleasant stay .

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Margaret17112013
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Lovely hotel very dog friendly I stayed here with my dog diesel for nearly 2 weeks found the room excellent serviced everyday,staff very friendly and approachable and keen to help whenever there service was needed,the food was top rate and all needs catered for I would highly recommend this hotel ,even my dog was made so welcome by staff and other guests ,keep up the great work you are doing u make an excellent team and are amazing people thank you for make our stay an amazing one

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 17, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel on the 10th Aug 2013 and found it to be very good. Hotel is set in its own grounds away from everything just outside Bolton. The restaurant is self service and breakfasts are buffet style.Food was good and staff are all very polite and helpful. The bar has a 4 hour happy hour each evening and the bedrooms are clean and comfortable. we were in room 133 and although a wedding was on that night we never heard a thing. A very pleasant stay, well done Britannia.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We stayed on 10/08/13 in an "executive" room on our wedding night. We arrived late and had plenty of bags and the wife still in her wedding dress, we headed straight for our room and more or less went straight to bed. When we got up the following morning we realised there was blood on the toilet seat, a half full bin of used sanitary towels in the bathroom and a HUGE patch of blood and what can only be described as a manky scab on my pillow. We spoke to reception and they said there was nothing that could be done as "they have no management in at weekends". We were given a phone number for customer services and told to ring them on the Monday, no apologies or money back as good will. We did eventually speak to another member of staff that looked at the room and just confirmed that it hadn't been cleaned since somebody stayed in it the previous Wednesday night. Again no apologies or any good will gesture.

The breakfast experience was not much better, everything was cold and either rock hard or bounced like a rubber ball! We asked why the food was like this because the last time we stayed it was really nice. The only answer we got was that the "good chef" was on the sick and there's only a trainee in the kitchen for the time being.

And if you want a coffee before 3pm you will have to walk to the local shell garage as the bar doesn't open til then, no matter how many times you ask. However as we were setting of at 12:15 they gladly opened the bar for another guest.

WOULD NOT RECOMMEND TO MY WORST ENEMY!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank jakeblues1982
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We booked a room in February for a 1 night stay in August for a 60th birthday party nearby. Rang the hotel on the day to confirm the room and were told that they had overbooked the hotel by 75 rooms that night so we could not stay! After 4 hours on the phone trying to sort this out they were going to have to pay for us to stay at another hotel and pay travel expenses. They then conveniently found us a room in the first hotel. When we arrived we soon realised they had put 2 beds in a staff room!!!!!
It was dirty,no mirror, not enough cups, shower did not work, the room led onto another "staff" room with a shared bathroom and the breakfast was inedible. If the event was'nt so important we would not have put up with this!!

I will never stay in a britania hotel again!!!!

Room Tip: Do not book with this hotel
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Helen R
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Lovely staff;helpful,friendly & always ready with a smile & a laugh.Food good & a little friendly banter helped make my day.As part of a coach group the 99p bar helped & the bar staff were very efficient.Room clean with air conditioning & a fridge.All in all a good place to stay.

Room Tip: We had a twin room,not much drawer space but shelves instead.TV old style but ok.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family