Holiday Inn Bolton Centre
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Bolton
Reviewed September 20, 2010

Have stayed at this hotel several times when taking our mother to visit relatives and friends in her old home town of Bolton. It is very well situated near the centre of town. Every time we have had a problem with our booking. This time the duty receptionist told us that we should have booked direct with the hotel rather than online as then we could have had our choice of rooms (as I had requested on the booking confirmation I brought with me). I said that surely it was up to us who we booked with and that the hotel must have arrangements with agencies to pass on information but apparently not.

We went to breakfast the next day and the duty manager said that we were not down on his list for inclusive breakfast. I again got our my confirmation booking and showed him that our booking was inclusive of breakfast. For a full 10 minutes he proceeded to question us about our booking and wanted to take away the booking sheet to reception but I told him I had already shown them. By that time we felt awkward and I said did he mind if we now had our breakfast as we were here on a few days break and he was spoiling our day.

We sent for room service on the second day as mum was tired. We ordered jacket potato with bacon and cheese. When it arrived there was only one knife and fork and the cheese was virtually not existant -one sliver on top of the bacon and the potato was almost cold. Anyway after a few minutes the room service man came back and asked us to pay for the meal by cash as he couldnt put it on our bill as our type of booking wouldnt allow it. At the time I showed him the potatoes and asked if we could have some more cheese - didnt mention they were cold as I felt sorry for him - he was only young and very pleasant (Daniel I think). He brought a little ramakin size amount of cheese up !! By this time he looked quite exhausted and had to go down again to bring my change up !

The restaurant staff need to be a bit more cheerful and attentive - once we got asked if we wanted a drink of tea or coffee and the other days none of the staff seemed interested. It would make a big difference if they were a bit more friendly.

The bar staff were friendly and helpful. The kitchen staff kept walking around at night with their dirty tea towels hanging out the back of their trousers which wasnt very nice - there were two wedding parties on while we were there too and I am sure this doesnt look good for the hotel. The manager needs to organise the staff better.

Anyway to finish off I reluctantly went over to check out at reception wondering what would happen and the young lady was very pleasant and duly told me that I didnt have to pay as I had already paid on the Thursday I arrived ! I said that that was news to me as the receptionist didnt ask me if I wanted to pay or even told me that I was paying up front for the three nights stay. So I looked at the receipt and realised they had now charged me VAT on top of my original amount which was supposed to be all inclusive. The reception manager was called and after about 20 minutes he managed to sort it out and refund the £60 taken out of my account without my consent on the first night we arrived.

A lesson to be learnt is that if staying at this hotel make sure you bring printed booking confirmation with you or you could be in trouble - or debt :) :)

• Stayed: September 2010
1  Thank WokingMary
hibolton, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bolton Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2010

Thank you for your review from which I was disappointed to learn about the issues you encountered during your stay.

I have investigated each issue with the relevant department heads concerned and would apologise for the service you received which was not up to the required standard and has highlighted some training issues which need to be addressed.

This is clearly not up to the required standard of service which should have been afforded to you and I apologise for any inconvenience or embarrassment this may have caused. We do strive to deliver excellent customer service at all times and hope that these issues will not stop you from choosing to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed September 2, 2010

Pleasantly surprised by this hotel - helpful staff, perfectly adequate room, breakfast very good, bar food good enough. Nice, spare, light environment.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
hibolton, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bolton Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2010

Thanks for your comments. Pleased to hear that you were pleasantly surprised by the Hotel, the nice light environment and that you enjoyed your breakfast and bar food. It is always pleasing to me when our staff get a mention so was delighted to hear your found them to be helpful. I hope you will choose to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed August 30, 2010

I found the room clean and in great condition. The bed was very comfortable and the room was quiet and a good size.

There were plenty of spaces in the carpark when I arrived . Check in was fine, staff were friendly.

Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo

Thanks for your review. I was pleased to hear that you found the bed very comfortable and that you were happy with your room. I was also pleased to hear that you found our staff to be friendly. I hope you will choose to stay with us again when you are next in the Bolton area.

Reviewed July 27, 2010

Me and my wife decided to book this hotel to stay in on our wedding night, as she used to work for the company. Little did we know or expect the farce that was to come when we arrived.

We got to the reception to be 'welcomed' by the reception manager, who quite simply said whats your name. Bearing in mind we were both still dressed from the wedding, my wife in her dress, no mention of how was your day or any such niceties. When we gave him our details he looked on his system to try to find our reservation.

5 minutes later and no mention to us what he was doing, he decided to tell us that there was no booking and did we have a reservation number with us, as the only way to find a booking is with a reference number.. I advised him that it was my wife's mother who had placed the booking,so I rang her to let them know what was happening. Even more infuriating another guest walked up gave her name and instantly he handed over the key, no reference needed.

My in-laws spoke to the reception manager on the phone who just kept repeating I need a reference number, to which they replied we have been at our daughters wedding all day and don't carry about all our paperwork with us. The conversation ended with him saying see if you can access your e-mails to get the reference number and I will call you back in 2minutes.

The manager to his credit did continue to look for the reservation on the system, and eventually found it. However this had been cancelled even though the room was paid for in March. When we asked him why it had been cancelled he wouldn't give an answer and insinuated it must of been us who had cancelled it, and also said no money would have been talking out of the account. He then said he would see what he could do for us.

20 minutes pass and he hasn't spoke to me my wife or called back the inlaws which he had previously promised to do within 2 minutes. I then decided to take matters into my own hands and rang my wife's father. As soon as the manager saw what I was doing he then decided to shout accross the reception to me to let me know what was going on. I politely asked him to wait 5 minutes as I was now trying to sort it out myself due to his lack of action and incompetence. He continued to shout over reception to me, so I simply had to tell him to go away for 5 minutes and then come to speak to me.

After I had finished my conversation, he just repeated himself saying he couldn't find out why the room was cancelled. My wife then pointed out that the only reason we booked with holiday inn was due to the fact she used to work for the company and believed they always gave a good service. To which he abruptly replied 'if you used to work for us you should now how all our systems work then'

By this time we were both getting tired and fed up with the situation, and asked him to book us into a hotel elsewhere, as they hadn't even offered my wife a glass of water in this time. So after 10 minutes or so of looking on his computer the manager made his first phone call of the night. We managed to get a room at the far more reputable company premier Inn, and found there staff very welcoming.

This is however not where the problems ended. As we had come from our wedding we had very little money on us, and after our private Jaguar had taken us to the holiday inn we were left there stranded. The manager did book us a local taxi, but this was not ideal as with most wedding dresses my wifes was not small, and a local taxi is not always the cleanest mode of transport to travel in. When we informed us of our money situation and asked if the hotel as a good will gesture would be willing to pay for the taxi he bluntly replied no that is not our policy.

But then surprisingly offered to cancel another guest's room and put is in their room and make them go to a hotel. Now as both me and my have a conciencious we were not willing to do this, and found it shocking that he would happily cancel someone else's room and ruin there night as well.

After bringing this up in the following weeks with the hotel, they have refunded what was paid for the hotel, but insist on a receipt for the taxi before they will refund that. They said the problem came about due to a 'gremlin in the system' so are basically refusing to admit any fault or take any blame. There only offer of compensation was a free night at their hotel with a meal included. We have politely rejected this as that will in no way make up for the fact that the holiday inn ruined our wedding night, which we will never have again, and will this is in no way satisfactory compensation.

To review my experience all I need to say is terrible and incompetent staff who are always ready to pass the buck but not take responsibility and apologise for their mistakes. Never again will I set foot in a holiday inn!

9  Thank Robncaz
hibolton, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bolton Centre, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2010

Please accept my apologies if you felt the action we have taken was not appropriate and I quote from the letter we sent “please accept my sincere apologies for the unacceptable level of service which was extended to you”. A full investigation has taken place and appropriate action and staff training has been given. The technical problems we were experiencing resulted in a full closure of our systems and an outside technician resolving the issues, but this in no way excuses the unprofessional and unsympathetic manner in which you were treated.

As you state in your review a full refund was made together with the £80 cost of your Jaguar. It is our normal accounts procedure that we ask for receipts to be provided for any extra expense incurred which we feel is reasonable and necessary for our audit trail.

As a gesture of goodwill and to give us the opportunity to restore your faith in the Hotel and to show you the normal high level of service we aspire to, we offered you a complimentary one night stay inclusive of dinner and breakfast. We also offered a complimentary dinner for two to your father-in-law who made the arrangements for you.

Obviously I am disappointed that you have rejected our offer and that you feel that we have not apologised or taken responsibility for the level of service you received and if you would like discuss the matter further with me please contact me on 01204 879988 or e-mail me on gm.hibolton@qmh-hotels.com.

Reviewed July 26, 2010

We were very surprised at the size of this hotel. We were made very welcome and had a pleasant stay. Room was great, staff excellent even though there were 2 weddings on and 2 coach parties in. Only fault we could find was it became a little noisy after midnight but we were on first floor and looking directly over the entrance.

1  Thank Windsor9
hibolton, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bolton Centre, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2010

Thank you for writing you review from which I was pleased to learn you enjoyed your recent stay with us. It is always pleasing from my point of view when our Staff have helped to make a difference. I hope to welcome you back to the Hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed July 23, 2010

I stayed at the Holiday inn Bolton centre for the second time and it was very good ,breakfasrt,location,Staff everthing just very good

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Tom-ransbach
hibolton, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bolton Centre, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2010

Thank you for writing a review following your second stay with us from which I was very pleased to learn that you found everything to be very good. I hope that we can continue to live up to your expectations and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel for your third visit in the not too distant future.

Reviewed July 16, 2010

First of all the biggest bonus of this hotel is that, despite its location so close to the city centre, it offers free parking. I arrived a few hours after check-in time and finding a space was no problem.
Hotel looked clean and modern, and room was a good size. There are function rooms in the hotel and so there was a bit of noise until about midnight which was not a major problem. One set of ear plugs were provided in the room, which I thought was a nice touch, rather than like most hotels ignoring the issue.
Did not use bar or restaurant so cannot comment on that. There is a mint casino opposite that i joined on the internet - didn't gamble but they have various drinks offers.
Nice hotel would definately return if I had another event to attend in Bolton.

1  Thank evilempire13
hibolton, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bolton Centre, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2010

Thank you for writing your review following your recent stay with us. I was pleased you found our Hotel clean and modern and that you were able to take advantage of our free parking. The ear plugs are a new addition which we have added to our rooms following on from guest’s comments so it is very pleasing from my point of view that you found them to be a nice touch. Guest feedback is very much appreciated as it helps us to keep focused on what is important to you.

Thanks again for your comments and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the not too distant future.