“Just right” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Bolton
Sussex
“Just right”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2010

Pleasantly surprised by this hotel - helpful staff, perfectly adequate room, breakfast very good, bar food good enough. Nice, spare, light environment.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
hibolton, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bolton Centre, responded to this review, September 8, 2010
Thanks for your comments. Pleased to hear that you were pleasantly surprised by the Hotel, the nice light environment and that you enjoyed your breakfast and bar food. It is always pleasing to me when our staff get a mention so was delighted to hear your found them to be helpful. I hope you will choose to stay with us again in the future.

Dieter Koch

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Greek first
Surrey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2010

I found the room clean and in great condition. The bed was very comfortable and the room was quiet and a good size.

There were plenty of spaces in the carpark when I arrived . Check in was fine, staff were friendly.

Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for your review. I was pleased to hear that you found the bed very comfortable and that you were happy with your room. I was also pleased to hear that you found our staff to be friendly. I hope you will choose to stay with us again when you are next in the Bolton area.

Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2010

Me and my wife decided to book this hotel to stay in on our wedding night, as she used to work for the company. Little did we know or expect the farce that was to come when we arrived.

We got to the reception to be 'welcomed' by the reception manager, who quite simply said whats your name. Bearing in mind we were both still dressed from the wedding, my wife in her dress, no mention of how was your day or any such niceties. When we gave him our details he looked on his system to try to find our reservation.

5 minutes later and no mention to us what he was doing, he decided to tell us that there was no booking and did we have a reservation number with us, as the only way to find a booking is with a reference number.. I advised him that it was my wife's mother who had placed the booking,so I rang her to let them know what was happening. Even more infuriating another guest walked up gave her name and instantly he handed over the key, no reference needed.

My in-laws spoke to the reception manager on the phone who just kept repeating I need a reference number, to which they replied we have been at our daughters wedding all day and don't carry about all our paperwork with us. The conversation ended with him saying see if you can access your e-mails to get the reference number and I will call you back in 2minutes.

The manager to his credit did continue to look for the reservation on the system, and eventually found it. However this had been cancelled even though the room was paid for in March. When we asked him why it had been cancelled he wouldn't give an answer and insinuated it must of been us who had cancelled it, and also said no money would have been talking out of the account. He then said he would see what he could do for us.

20 minutes pass and he hasn't spoke to me my wife or called back the inlaws which he had previously promised to do within 2 minutes. I then decided to take matters into my own hands and rang my wife's father. As soon as the manager saw what I was doing he then decided to shout accross the reception to me to let me know what was going on. I politely asked him to wait 5 minutes as I was now trying to sort it out myself due to his lack of action and incompetence. He continued to shout over reception to me, so I simply had to tell him to go away for 5 minutes and then come to speak to me.

After I had finished my conversation, he just repeated himself saying he couldn't find out why the room was cancelled. My wife then pointed out that the only reason we booked with holiday inn was due to the fact she used to work for the company and believed they always gave a good service. To which he abruptly replied 'if you used to work for us you should now how all our systems work then'

By this time we were both getting tired and fed up with the situation, and asked him to book us into a hotel elsewhere, as they hadn't even offered my wife a glass of water in this time. So after 10 minutes or so of looking on his computer the manager made his first phone call of the night. We managed to get a room at the far more reputable company premier Inn, and found there staff very welcoming.

This is however not where the problems ended. As we had come from our wedding we had very little money on us, and after our private Jaguar had taken us to the holiday inn we were left there stranded. The manager did book us a local taxi, but this was not ideal as with most wedding dresses my wifes was not small, and a local taxi is not always the cleanest mode of transport to travel in. When we informed us of our money situation and asked if the hotel as a good will gesture would be willing to pay for the taxi he bluntly replied no that is not our policy.

But then surprisingly offered to cancel another guest's room and put is in their room and make them go to a hotel. Now as both me and my have a conciencious we were not willing to do this, and found it shocking that he would happily cancel someone else's room and ruin there night as well.

After bringing this up in the following weeks with the hotel, they have refunded what was paid for the hotel, but insist on a receipt for the taxi before they will refund that. They said the problem came about due to a 'gremlin in the system' so are basically refusing to admit any fault or take any blame. There only offer of compensation was a free night at their hotel with a meal included. We have politely rejected this as that will in no way make up for the fact that the holiday inn ruined our wedding night, which we will never have again, and will this is in no way satisfactory compensation.

To review my experience all I need to say is terrible and incompetent staff who are always ready to pass the buck but not take responsibility and apologise for their mistakes. Never again will I set foot in a holiday inn!

9 Thank Robncaz
hibolton, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bolton Centre, responded to this review, July 30, 2010
Please accept my apologies if you felt the action we have taken was not appropriate and I quote from the letter we sent “please accept my sincere apologies for the unacceptable level of service which was extended to you”. A full investigation has taken place and appropriate action and staff training has been given. The technical problems we were experiencing resulted in a full closure of our systems and an outside technician resolving the issues, but this in no way excuses the unprofessional and unsympathetic manner in which you were treated.

As you state in your review a full refund was made together with the £80 cost of your Jaguar. It is our normal accounts procedure that we ask for receipts to be provided for any extra expense incurred which we feel is reasonable and necessary for our audit trail.

As a gesture of goodwill and to give us the opportunity to restore your faith in the Hotel and to show you the normal high level of service we aspire to, we offered you a complimentary one night stay inclusive of dinner and breakfast. We also offered a complimentary dinner for two to your father-in-law who made the arrangements for you.

Obviously I am disappointed that you have rejected our offer and that you feel that we have not apologised or taken responsibility for the level of service you received and if you would like discuss the matter further with me please contact me on 01204 879988 or e-mail me on gm.hibolton@qmh-hotels.com.

Dieter Koch

Travelers are raving about these Bolton hotels

Barrow-in-Furness,
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2010

We were very surprised at the size of this hotel. We were made very welcome and had a pleasant stay. Room was great, staff excellent even though there were 2 weddings on and 2 coach parties in. Only fault we could find was it became a little noisy after midnight but we were on first floor and looking directly over the entrance.

1 Thank Windsor9
hibolton, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bolton Centre, responded to this review, August 2, 2010
Thank you for writing you review from which I was pleased to learn you enjoyed your recent stay with us. It is always pleasing from my point of view when our Staff have helped to make a difference. I hope to welcome you back to the Hotel in the not too distant future.

Ransbach
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2010

I stayed at the Holiday inn Bolton centre for the second time and it was very good ,breakfasrt,location,Staff everthing just very good

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Tom-ransbach
hibolton, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bolton Centre, responded to this review, July 26, 2010
Thank you for writing a review following your second stay with us from which I was very pleased to learn that you found everything to be very good. I hope that we can continue to live up to your expectations and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel for your third visit in the not too distant future.

Poole, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2010

First of all the biggest bonus of this hotel is that, despite its location so close to the city centre, it offers free parking. I arrived a few hours after check-in time and finding a space was no problem.
Hotel looked clean and modern, and room was a good size. There are function rooms in the hotel and so there was a bit of noise until about midnight which was not a major problem. One set of ear plugs were provided in the room, which I thought was a nice touch, rather than like most hotels ignoring the issue.
Did not use bar or restaurant so cannot comment on that. There is a mint casino opposite that i joined on the internet - didn't gamble but they have various drinks offers.
Nice hotel would definately return if I had another event to attend in Bolton.

1 Thank evilempire13
hibolton, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bolton Centre, responded to this review, July 19, 2010
Thank you for writing your review following your recent stay with us. I was pleased you found our Hotel clean and modern and that you were able to take advantage of our free parking. The ear plugs are a new addition which we have added to our rooms following on from guest’s comments so it is very pleasing from my point of view that you found them to be a nice touch. Guest feedback is very much appreciated as it helps us to keep focused on what is important to you.

Thanks again for your comments and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the not too distant future.

uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2010

helpful friendly staff. . Car parking is a problem. There was only one space left which I had to shoe horn my car into, and out the next day. The doors to the car park could be a lot easier to use. Struggled with bags / door / buttons in and out. The doors look tatty and shoddy because they obviously get a lot of knocks. Automatic doors would be such a bonus here. It is the very first impression of the hotel.

Internet.....Fired up laptop and only then found I had to pay to access internet in my room. 5euro for 1 hour. OK but why is this not made clear in the hotel or the room. There is info telling you how to get online etc but NOTHING indicating that you have to pay. 5euros is reasonable but this information needs to be clearer so that people can make a choice

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank gliss
hibolton, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bolton Centre, responded to this review, June 22, 2010
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us and I was pleased to learn you found our Team helpful and friendly.

The Hotel has two car parks available to our guests, one underground to the left of the Hotel main entrance and one to the right which is above ground. We also have an arrangement with a private car park close by the Hotel whereby if both our car parks are full Reception can offer this alternative parking at no extra cost to our guests. New signage has recently been put in to place to advise guests to contact Reception if both car parks are full.

As you mention WiFi is available for a small charge (details of the charges should be displayed in all our bedrooms) which can be paid for at the Hotel or a WiFi inclusive package is available and can be requested at the time of booking.

Thank you again and hope to welcome you back to the Hotel in the future.