“Back again... and better, but customer service hit and miss.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Bolton Centre

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Holiday Inn Bolton Centre
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Bolton
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Back again... and better, but customer service hit and miss.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2007

So, back to the Holiday Inn Bolton for another few nights...

I was given a much better room this time (some slightly peeling wallpaper but otherwise quite agreeable), although my preference for a smoking room couldn't be honoured. This one actually had the advertised trouser press and in-room safe - the joys of business travel never cease to amaze me. I also managed to grab the last decent-sized parking space, which was a bit of a bonus.

Overall the stay was better than my previous visit but I had a most extraordinary exchange with the front desk when I tried to extend my stay from two nights to three nights, having established that there was no way I could get my work done in two days. In summary:

The front desk told me that there was no availablilty for the extra night and suggested I "leave it" for now and should ask if there were any cancellations when I checked out in the morning. At this stage I would have expected confirmation that, if a cancellation had occurred, I would have been on a list to take advantage of it but this was clearly beyond the bounds of what passes for customer service at this hotel.

Out of interest I called home to see what the HI website had to say about availability and it was immediately obvious that a variety of rooms were available to book. I returned to the front desk with this information and was told that I would be unwise to book through the HI website because the rooms might actually be unavailable. The fact that both I and the hotel would have had a serious problem on our hands had I driven 250 miles the previous evening with a confirmed booking, only to find the hotel full, didn't really seem to sink in with the receptionist who, again, suggested that I just wait for a cancellation.

When I suggested that I would pack my bag and head for the (not much more expensive) De Vere if I couldn't resolve matters in the next fifteen minutes I finally got to the bottom of the matter.

It would seem that while HI and the property each have a booking system, only HI really knows when rooms are available. Bizarrely the hotel does not.

Having established this it was, perhaps, too much to expect that the front desk would add an extra night to my stay. Instead, I was given a card with the central reservations number on it and told that I should call the number on the card to extend my stay. After a brief conversation with a very helpful member of staff at central reservations my stay was extended by a further night. The experience would have been so much better, however, if the front desk had taken care of this for me.

In short, two simple pieces of training are needed here:

1) If a guest wants to extend their stay and pay for the privilege don't treat the request as if it's an inconvenience; and

2) Never, ever, ever, undermine the confidence of your paying customers in the on-line booking system.

• Liked — Better room than previous stay
  • Disliked — Spectaularly unhelpful front desk staff (on one particular evening)
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Five-Oh-States

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Greek first